Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting IC-706MKII In a 2010 Ford Escape  (Read 4717 times)
W9PMZ

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »

Anyone have any ideas?

There is a compartment on the passenger side in the rear that looks like the unit can be mounted in.  Has anyone tried this?  What about mounting the display?  Any ideas?

There already is a hole with a grommet in this compartment, so routing power and antenna cables shouldn't be a problem.

Carl - W9PMZ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 12:57:59 PM »

Go to my web site, and look through the Photo Gallery, other installs.

You want to mount the main chassis with as much ventilation as you can. Remember, the heat sink dissipates as much power as the radio puts out (≈50% efficiency).

N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »

Carl,

I have a 2009 Escape which I bet is very similar, if not identical, to the 2010.  A couple of things to think about on that compartment in the rear passenger area:

The 2009 model uses that compartment to store the emergency funnel for filling up if you run out of gas and have to use a gas can.  I think there is a very real risk of gasoline fumes being present in that area if you ever have to use that funnel.  Ignition sources such as a radio could pose a problem.

The other thought I have is that the compartment in question couldn't be any further from the battery if Ford Engineers tried.  Give some thought to I2R losses that you'll have to account for when running the power feed for that distance.

I ended up installing my rig in the center console, underneath the plastic lift out container that holds CD's coins, maps, etc.  Plenty of room for the radio, cables, ventilation, etc and the plastic console insert re-installs, completely hiding the installation...plus it's only about 6 feet from the battery.  My control head is installed on the lower dash, just above the center console and below the climate controls.  Email me at mycall@arrl dot net if you can't locate pictures on Alan's website specific to the Ford Escape and I'll send a few of mine.

Good Luck
Stephen
N5VTU
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 03:04:38 AM »

Thanks Stephen.  That is the information I was looking for.

My 2010 sounds pretty much like yours.

How did you get the power wires, RF cables and control cable in and out of the console?  I may not be able to reinstall the holder since I also have a Turbo Tuner that also needs to be attached.

How you mounted the control head is what I already had thought to do.

I was wondering what that funnel was for... 

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Carl - W9PMZ
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:40:23 AM »

Carl,
Once you remove the console liner, I think you'll find there is plenty of room for your tuner and radio.  I actually have two rigs installed in mine with room to spare.  As far as the wiring, I drilled a small hole in the front wall near the bottom of the console and passed the wires forward between the console and the outer trim piece to get to the battery and control head location.  There are no exposed wires, holes, etc with my setup.  I'm not sure what you plan to use for an antenna, but search this forum and you'll find my description of an NMO antenna mount in the Escape.  Let me know if you want pics. 

Stephen
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:56:24 AM »

the vhf/uhf antenna is going to get lip mounted on the hatch back and the screwdriver put in the trailer hitch.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:08:38 AM »

We mounted commercial 100W VHF transceivers in trunks for years without any problems. Its all a matter of using large enough power cable to keep the voltage drop reasonable.

When you remote the control head on an IC-706 you need to watch out for common mode RF currents getting into the long control cable run. If you get RF into that cable you'll have issues like the transciever turning itself off when you transmit. As I recall there is also an issue with making sure a screw is tight and making a good ground connection between the cable and the radio. Alan probably has info on that on his web site, www.k0bg.com .

W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 07:24:04 AM »

aa4pb - btdt

sold my ford exploder and reinstalling in the ford escape.

carl - w9pmz
KI6AOK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 08:21:47 AM »

Just installed an FT-7900 in mine. I went the easy route and put the body of the radio under the driver's seat. Only concern is the heater vent for the back seats is there and as long as I keep those vents turned off, no problems. The control head is mounted under the center stack. Power comes through the nice big grommet above and to the left of the brake pedal (thanks, Ford!)
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »

Hi Laura,

How did you run the antenna cable?

For now I got some 8 guage zip wire, some old RG213 braid removed from the coax and some convoluted tubing.  I ran the zip wire into the braiding and then into the convoluted tubing.  I connected the zip cable to the battery and the shield to the ground lug where the battery ground is connected.  Only one end of the shield is connected.  I then ran this through a 30A breaker mounted in the engine compartment, down and underneath the Escape, entering the cargo area through a rubber groument already installed.  The tubing and shield terminate in the rubber groumet.  The zip cable then is terminated into Anderson Power Pole with a DC distribution block.  This is done on the drivers side!  Did not want to enter the area on the passangers side due to the exhaust pipes...

I then, for now, have the radio and Turbo Tuner mounted in the cargo area with the RF cables for the HF antenna and the VHF/UHF antennas running out the hatch, along with the DC control for the screwdriver antenna. 

But I am always looking for better ideas!

Carl - W9PMZ
KI6AOK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:06:49 PM »

Hi, Carl:

The antenna cable goes through the gap in the hatch, then under the weather seal and tucked up under the roof liner over to the pillar, then down to the radio under the driver's seat...tucked under that nice plastic trim all the way except for the last foot which goes under the floor mat.
WA5LPW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »

Did Stephen (N5VTU) ever post photos of his install?  Can't find his e-mail address.

I just picked up a 2010 Escape and want to mount my 857D.  Glad to have all these older posts to learn from.

Keith, WA5LPW
WA5LPW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »

Stephen sent me some fabulous photos of his install.  He did a great job and I hope to duplicate it.

Many thanks Stephen!

Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: