Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uniden's new HomePatrol scanner due out in October  (Read 3501 times)
KU4UV

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:04:55 AM »

Has anyone had a chance to play around with a version of Uniden's new HomePatrol scanner?  I know the scanner is not due to officially be released until sometime in October, but there are people who have been able to get one from Uniden for testing purposes and reviews.  The reviews I have read so far in magazines and online indicate this is going to be a really cool scanner.  It looks like it is going to be a scanner that will revolutionize the scanning hobby.  With the new scanner, you simply input your zip code, and the scanner lists all of the services in you imediate area that you select to monitor.  It looks like one heck of a scanner, and I am definetly going to consider picking one up in October.  I think a lot of people have been turned off of the scanning hobby because of the difficulty in programming some scanners for trunk tracking and digital operating.  This new Uniden scanner should eliminate a lot of the headaches for people who just want to be able to plug in a new scanner and be up and monitoring within a few minutes of opening the box.  I will probably still hang onto my 200 channel GRE handheld scanner for monitoring local analog frequencies and tacking to the race tracks.  I actually found that the receiver in the GRE was so good that I had to remove the antenna at my local NASCAR track because the receiver was being overloaded.  The new Uniden HomePatrol scanner is also GPS capable, meaning you can plug your GPS receiver into the scanner and it will scan the frequencies around that area that the GPS indicates you are in.  I'm not sure how much the scanner will sell for.  I am guessing it will go for between $600-$700, but could be less.  The scanner still has to clear FCC certification, but hopefully it will still be available by October.  I can't wait!  It will be a great scanner for monitoring local activity during the snow and winter season, especially if the winter proves to be as bad as it has been this year.

KU4UV   
KF6HCD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 02:32:02 AM »

According to http://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/uniden-home-patrol.aspx the unit has received FCC approval and is $489.90 + shipping.

A bit on the "spendy" side, but I am looking forward to getting one.  Wink

K0IC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »

As a disabled person on a fixed income, I am going to try to get a grant to get the new HomePatrol scanner.  It looks like a good buy for those who can afford it.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »

As a disabled person on a fixed income, I am going to try to get a grant to get the new HomePatrol scanner.  It looks like a good buy for those who can afford it.

No disrespect is intended, but who (and why) is someone going to give you a grant so you can listen to the police and fire departments?

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:32:14 PM »

Keep in mind that the Pro-2006 was $399 when it came out.. That was 20 years ago. $439 is a bargain..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: