The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel like a new ham all over again!  (Read 1004 times)
KC8OYE

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »

man.. This reminds me when I first got my ticket 10 year ago!

the nutshell of the story, I made a very short notice move from michigan to texas, right after having my home broken into and cleaned out (funny enough they left all my electronics and ham gear alone)
anyway.. all my 'old' ham stuff is all packed away in storage in michigan.. and I'm in texas.  I packed my TV, my computer, and some clothes and left.. i brought my motorola mobile and antenna.. but until I find the stuff to program it.. or someone who can help me...

I just picked up a new HT (Been wanting one for some time) 2m/440.. so now I have an ht..  trying to drive around and figure out what repeaters I can actully hear.. let alone USE with just a rubber ducky in the car Smiley   i managed to find some adapters at radio shack still and got my 2m mag mount on the roof of the car working..

but now I find myself drooling over the MFJ, AES, HRO etc catalogs like a kid in a candystore.. wondering what toys I want to buy now..  I have to admit I had lost a lot of interest in ham radio in the last few years.. the occasional qso on a local 2m repeater was about it.. but now.. basicly starting a new life, with new gear.. I find myself all fired up again.. and a much stronger interest in HF this time around.. (maybe it's time to make the upgrade to general?)

trying to decide on a base antenna (Diamond X50 looks like a great choice, awesome reviews, fits my budget...)
then what coax!?  then comes the best part about the HAm radio hobby.. getting another local ham to help me with the soldering of connectors to the coax. (I can do it, but all my equipment for such is 1300 miles north of here)

I'm also trying to pick out a new rubber ducky for the HT
and a new dual-band (2m/70cm) for the mobile...

decisions decisions.. adn this time around, I actully have money to spend on ham gear Smiley
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »

Welcome back,

I was in a similar situation and know how you feel. Great isn't it.
Everybody has a different set of interests and personality so the ham station will mirror your interests.
I personally, love HF digital modes and spend most of my time on those modes, particularly
on 14.070Mhz psk31.

I decided on a "shack in a box" solution - a Yaesu FT897D, 160m to 70cm all modes.
One of the best decisions I made was to get a remote antenna tuner unit, which sits outside
at the base of my non resonant vertical.
This way I can use from 40m to 6m with the same length of vertical aluminum pipe, and the losses are very low. WARC bands, and so on, no problems.
For digital modes I would suggest you look at the Tigertronics USB signalink interface.
I have two, and they work well, are relatively inexpensive and should get you on digimodes easily and well.

These shack in box solutions are provided by most major vendors, so look up the eham reviews and you will get an idea of what the lay of the land is like.
I am not against HF trap antennas, but for efficiency and versatility having a remote atu gives you lots of options for antennas.

My advice - upgrade your ticket.
HF is a completely different world and will really expand your horizons.

73s es welcome back.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »

i've been rather 'bound' in my operations since my only functional radios were 'rock bound' commerical radios..so I was stuck with the few local 2m repeaters and that's it.. haven't had a frequency agile radio for a long time...

I'm thinking I'm going to buy a Diamond X50 antenna for the base here and keep operating with the HT for a bit.  I just learned recently that tech's can operate USB at the bottom of 10m.. my local ARES has a PSK31 net on 28.380 so I think I want to find a 10m rig of some description next... my options for 10m are pretty open since I can even tune my uhh.. let's just say "11m" antenna up to 10m Wink
all mode all band is way outside of my price range right now.. I'd love a TS2000 or a 706mk2G but the 706 is $900 give or take.. not sure what the 2000's go for nowdays but seems like most all mode all bands start around $1000 and go up from there.

When Mom comes for thanksgiving, I've asked her to bring my tube-based shortwave receiver with her Smiley  I don't feel comfortable having it shipped.  it's an old Layfayette KT-320 that my dad built in 1963 :>
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: