The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a memory , for what its worth .  (Read 1147 times)
KG4YMC

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:23:20 PM »

I am not a writer or poet , but just wanted to share a thought that happen to me. While I was at an air show fly in at calhoon  co. in fla  there was an old l945 army observation plane that had an old christal  vacume tube single cores type radio in it . I was talking to the owner of the plane about it and he had the manuals and other ifo about it . Ok I know I am killing the spell check , but what brought me back to another time and place was the smell of that old radio.  You see, my dad used to teach electronics and I remebe that smell, mabey it is the tubes, mildew, age ect but my dads electronic class or vocational class had that smell. mabey it was solider, the smell of tubes heating up old dusty tv ect but it was like my " dove momet : or mabey I should say rca, sylvania , vtvm, tube testor  wollensack  big as a brick reel to reel records or those awful record player and bell and howell projectors my dad and I  ( at a dollar a day or so )  would help him work on  in the   summertime , anyway for a momet On that runway  near that airplane and old radio I was back with my dad, ok I am no poet  and my dad died of cancer over 20 years back .  On other subject saw the new flat screen tvs, dad always said we would have them someday , remember how big and bulky and expansive at the time the rca color entertainment center we had gotten at one time  was or how the repairman  would have to take the  chassies out to work on it and bring a toolbox   tube factory with him,  anyway thanks for letting me remember , 73 terry . excuse erros as it is late but just wanted to get this off my mind kg4ymc    terry   73 and keep building memories..
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 08:40:01 AM »

You are a poet!  Nice write up ...typos and all.  Your observation about the power of odors to elicit all kinds of memories is right on target.  I have also noticed that the smell of burning insulation or of rf burns on my hands brings back all kinds of radio related memories.  As you note, the smell of dust being heated up on vacuum tubes can bring back memories.  Toxic solder fumes are also evocative.  Poetry consists of bringing up a lot of emotions with very little in the way of words.  You did it rather well!
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 12:17:30 PM »

I have those memories every time I fire up my radio equipment. It is hard to believe it has been so many years that I have been active in electronics, 37 of them professionally! And there is definitely a flood every time a tube rig is turned on, and the smell of the circuitry as it warms up as I get ready to work on it or work with it!
While I do have modern solid state equipment, it is used right along with the tube equipment. I laugh every time I can buy a piece of test equipment that is obsolete to some people, just because it has tubes! My favorite is my microwave spectrum analyzer from the 1950's. While it isn't as usable as the modern equipment, it does give me a go/no go check of magnetrons! And the wow factor is priceless when I power it up in front of some of the techs that visit!
Keep your memories alive, and introduce others to them when you can!
Jeff N8CMQ

N8CMQ   Jeff Retired...
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:54:23 PM »

Thanks for the replies , and not treating me like a nut case . I had met that my dad let me help him in the summertime when he had the job of repairing the audio video stuff from the schools. The better record prayers were the Voice of Music , the most awful thing was a plastic junk made by ge that had a film strip that would move in syn with a record prayed on top . Remember one tube record players  that teachers would complain about the sound.  Even back then late 50s and 60s vocational education was always takeing a back seat to the football  funds. I could go on about my dad ,. memories yes... see if any of these ring a bell.... trips to thuros  electronics in ocala or parts, old heavy reel to reel tape recorders,  the  schools that had the 3m wollensacks were " modern". Dad said the best projects made were the bell and howell model that I think had the reels in front kinna . the fascination of seeing a degauseing coil . ok I messed up spelling in front of a color tv,  telling mom not to turn a  vacume cleaner off in front of the tv . nice green tints  until dad  would readjust the guns on the color tv. I remember seeing him do it one time and I thought I could  and getting in trouble for really messing up the color lol.  We actually didn't have a phone at home, but when cb crazy came out dad thought the transistorized  hallicrafter  5 channel was great for the boat when we weint out in the gulf  kingfishing . Neighbor behind us had a base unit , so would use the radio in the boat under the carport to talk to neighbor . Actually wired a eico  cb to run on six volts for my granddads old 50 desoto.  talk about memories , it had an am radio  ( not original ) that would humm  vibrator  noisy could get local stations tho .  old sound was great tho .. listeing to reds games on wlw and great rock on wls  on an old bak  klite  philco radio. And somehow the peace it brought me as a child when the local am station would sign off with the lords prayer . They don't do that anymore. Our country station would sign on with  dixie . ok enought memories , mabey they are still  floating around in the  ether, and a civilzation in space somewhere is trying to understand  disco ..  ok Im out of here  kg4ymc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: