Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has this happened to you on EBay?  (Read 3579 times)
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »

Ebay charges a commission based on how much something sells for.   If you sell a Bencher for $50, you don't get the whole $50.  Ebay gets a cut.   If you charge $1 and then charge $51 shipping, you get the whole $51 and Ebay gets part of the buck.

There are a lot of items that sell like this. 

Always add in the cost of shipping when considering buys on Ebay.

Ebay has long been a seller-oriented website.   They sent me a nasty gram after I withdrew a bid on an item that was fraudulently described.   They did nothing to the bleep that tried to commit the fraud.   If I really need something to work, or I am spending more than 20 dollars, I simply don't use Ebay.  Screw me once, shame on you.  Screw me twice, shame on me.  Shame on Ebay.
KD0GHB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »

I have recently sold a few items on E-bay ( my first time selling) and I listed the shipping at 25.00 on 3  of the old radios and 35.00 on a fourth (it was a heavy tube radio).  They all sold and no one questioned my shipping cost.  I shipped them out via USPS priority mail and the shipping ate up every bit of what I had charged in shipping.  I guess I could have put more in my pocket by sending parcel post but I chose to do priority as I felt the shipping time would be faster.  What it boils down to is , the shipping people (USPS , UPS etc) are increasing their charges.  am glad I estimated the cost like I did.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 05:52:37 PM »

When I sell stuff on ebay I charge what the post office charges me, as I am not a commercial seller.  Sometimes they figure stuff wrong or I underestimate full package weight(I pack after sale to allow for further questions, photos, etc.) and actually eat some charges.  And ship usually next business day.  This does not always earn much praise from buyers, so I wonder if they give a **** much about costs or would be just as happy knowing a flat rate with some price padding to be sure to CMA, ahead of time.
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 08:16:48 PM »

I am a small time seller on epay, but I have been doing it for years. When I list an object, I figure top end shipping average, epay fees for listing, percentage for selling AND paypal fees on top!
However, I can only guesstimate final value fees, and shipping fee calculators are notorious for being wrong...
So my shipping and HANDLING fees are usually just enough, or BELOW what they should be. I absorb it from the profit I may get from the sale, and let it go. Now some people use boxes that have too many trips through the postal service, I use new boxes, and new filler, I have only had a few things get damaged in shipping, and it has always been the carriers fault. So if you are happy with your purchase, don't claim we are making big bucks off the shipping, unless it is twice the value of the object you are buying.... Our cost to sell and ship have not gone down!
Course, if you don't like the price, DON'T BID! Too many people get caught up in auction fever and go overboard.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »

ebay has very strict rules about S&H charges now.

in fact, my previous employer quit selling stuff on ebay because their rules were KILLING us in shipping. (Do you have any idea how expensive it is to ship a 202lb car hood that is 6 feet long and 4 feet wide?) and then tell us that our S&H charges are out of line because of what it takes to insure the hood makes there in one piece?

If someone is charging obviously absurd shipping rates you need to report it to ebay.
KE6TDP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »

As time goes on E-bay is getting to be a real joke - stay away. 73 Dave
I stopped using E-bay six years ago.  Agree completely.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 11:14:49 PM »

I stopped selling/buying on Ebay 7 years ago.  Lots of scammers plus they seem to get away with it while honest sellers/buyers get hit.   I use our local Swap and Shop exclusively since I know most of the hams buying my stuff.  if I have to sell something other than ham equipment I use Craigslist and only sell locally so I can meet the buyer.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: