Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CB repeaters  (Read 4886 times)
AC6IJ

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »

I have heard Hams talking about CBers using CB repeaters, is there anything to this or just silly talk?? Bill
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:31:32 PM »

CB repeaters are not legal.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:02:19 PM »

Neither is talking above 27.405 but when has that stopped them??
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »

You'd have to ask those hams.

Since novice ops are dumped onto VHF, they might be complaining about new hams conducting them selves like they did on CB via a VHF repeater?

For me, I never worry about what CBers do unless they wind up on a ham band.

Since I don't listen to any repeaters, I don't worry about people who do use them.

Bob
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:33:13 PM »

I would "assume" (and we all know what happens when you do that) they're referring to using a simplex repeater. These are simple store-and-forward devices. Because CB users have no right to privacy and it's perfectly legal to record their transmissions, it would be legal to use a simplex repeater controller to record their transmission. Also, because there is no rule concerning a control operator being at the location of a transmitter, that an unmanned transmitter would not be illegal. Combining the two bits of reasoning, I can see where a simplex repeater would be legal to use on CB frequencies on a non-interference basis. This is based on my own logic, and of course, I have no legal basis for my opinion. The rules were written before such devices came into being. -WY3X
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:42:06 PM »

There are a number of FRS/GMRS repeater setups here in the NYC metro area and I believe they are legal. That may be what they were referring to.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 12:17:57 AM »

I seriously doubt the average CB'er would take the time nor would it be advantageous to go thought all the trouble required including the idea of spending all the money that would be required to set up a repeater on that band.

It would be much easier for them to just get a ham license and operate VHF.

Quite frankly, even if they did, a repeater on CB would suck and it wouldn't function very well at all. It would be like putting a repeater on HF bands. It's a completely useless endeavor.

KJ4MYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 05:22:45 AM »

I guess it would be as good as a 10M repeater.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 06:44:59 AM »

When I was in Australia (some years ago now) there were a few CB repeaters in operation.  The rules said that
CB radios couldn't transmit and receive on different frequencies on a single channel setting, so the repeaters
were set up to receive on, say, channel 1 and transmit on channel 40.  That gave maximum channel separation
but only required one click of the channel switch (presuming it didn't have a stop) to switch between them.
So everyone would listen on channel 40 then switch to channel 1 to transmit.  That would still require good
isolation between transmit and receive, so it wasn't something that the average CBer would set up, and there
were a limited number of channel combinations that were practical.

I have no idea whether such repeaters would be legal under the US rules, or even if they were legal under the
Australian rules at the time, but they could be used with unmodified CB radios.  I suspect that the simplex
repeaters are more common, but having tried one in another service they can be rather awkward to use.
GW0DIV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 11:39:05 AM »

There was a YouTube video of 11M repeaters in the Caribbean area a while back. CB'ers in the UK are messing around with internet linking on 27MHz and PMR 446, OFCOM seem to be condoning UHF linking and turning a blind eye to 11M linking. Seems like they are getting usefull info from it?!

Rhys
GW0DIV
KF5AHV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 05:06:11 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pWB17LzsHk

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »

Never heard of one. But I did hear a VK station repeating thru the Virgin Islands on 20M USB !

Beat that !
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 07:47:46 AM »

The FCC's Class D Citizens Band (what most refer to ) does not have repeaters here in the US.  Other classes, such as Class A, do.  Other countries may have sevices that use the same frequencies and use repeaters... I do not know, and there is a lot of illegal activities, also.
Now we do have amateur 10 meter FM repeaters allowed above 29 Mhz.  I doubt that is what is being discussed, though.  You are probably hearing about the GMRS service here.
73s.

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: