Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-1000 Field or Mk5 - ticking time bomb?  (Read 1477 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »

re: MK5, Field.

I was told that Yaesu was "forced" to discontinue these popular models due to critical key parts no longer available. I "think" it was processors?

True?

Is buying a used one a higher risk due to this?

Thanks in advance
Ken WB9YCJ/6

AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:14:04 PM »

As I recall the problem was a driver transistor - that may very well last until the next century. Or that may fail today.  If the radio works when you buy it, it is likely to keep on working as long as you keep it. But there are no guarantees, no insurance policies, and no replacement for the part.

Meaning a tech will have to find the closest electrical replacement and then figure out a way to shoehorn the substitute into the radio. Something that is not likely to be cheap, and that may not be feasible. Further, I do not know. I do know that Yaesu dropped support of the rigs in a remarkably short period of time.

The rumor mill had it that Yaesu was given an "End Of Life" (we will not make that device after _date_) notice well before the FT-1000 and other Yaesu rigs that use the same part were put in production. When the initial purchase of devices was exhausted, and no more could be found, they moved on to new models. Given the number of EOL notices I see that is credible - but I have no clue to accuracy.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »

Most electronics either dies in the first 5 minutes or runs forever....

Assuming you are correct about a discontinued part, there is no reason to assume that it has any lower quality or that it is more trouble prone than the hundreds of other parts.   Part obsolescence is common in the industry and usually is driven by improved technology.

These were top of the line rigs, I don't see any reason for them to be time bombs.  Given their value, if a problem develops somebody will devise a replacement.

73, Bill
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »

Thanks, I work on equipment that is electrical mechanical (for a living).

Appx 95% of the time problems are from worn out mechanical parts that integrate with the electronics.
The electronics generally do not fail and if they appear to fail, troubleshooting reveals wornout or failed mechanical parts that the electronics depend on for proper performance.

I live close to Yaesu here in California and was surprised at the list they handout showing rigs they no longer service. Some models are not old.

Icom service dept much more friendly with older Icom models.

Thanks, I always was impressed at the FT1000 Field reviews here at Eham.

Im tempted to try one but it would not be as good as my IC-7700.
So, I guess I may keep the money perhaps for a used TS-590....waiting.

Thanks again.
AC6IJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 11:53:34 PM »

I remember reading a similar post about the Icom 706MKIIG being disscontinued because of parts not available for the finals. This has happened quite regular it seems with computer upgrades and newer models. Advancment in technology is great but we can also suffer from older models that can no longer keep up with newer software and gadgets. I guess thats progress??? Bill
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 06:17:28 AM »

re: MK5, Field.

I was told that Yaesu was "forced" to discontinue these popular models due to critical key parts no longer available. I "think" it was processors?

True?

Is buying a used one a higher risk due to this?

Thanks in advance
Ken WB9YCJ/6

I buy them, use them, and enjoy them and have no problems.
VE7ABC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »

I've had a FT1000 MKV Field for 7 years.  It's a great rig, and hopefully will give me more years of service.
From what I've been told, and what I've read, Kenwood, and Icom suffer from the same problems.  When a one off IC is made for a specific use, and then is no longer available, then problems arise for those that have that part in their equipment.
All older solid state equipment suffers this problem, Yaesu is not alone.  I understand the display for the IC781 and the ICPRO are no longer available from Icom, and the Kenwood 850, 930 and 940 have parts that fail that Kenwood no longer has.
I agree with W8JI, buy and enjoy.
73..Graham
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 10:17:11 AM »

I remember reading a similar post about the Icom 706MKIIG being disscontinued because of parts not available for the finals.
After a certain serial number the rig was redesigned somewhat for using different transistors for finals. The earlier ones cannot be obtained and there are no practical substitutions. A new mainboard is the only answer and is not cheap. It is only a problem with the MKIIG model.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »

Most contesters are unloading their 1000's and buying K3's.  At least that is what I'm told by a top contester.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: