The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One day Tech course - good/bad ???  (Read 17615 times)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »

Flame suit on......

what some of you are missing is that there is a difference between what an applicant "should" know and what an applicant "must" know.

The only things (IMO) they "must know" are safety requirements and rules/regulations. Both of which are usually learned by memorization (GASP!!!), just about everything else fits into the "should know" category.

By some of your posts, then all the Red Cross FIRST AID, CPR, RESCUE BREATHING, ect people are unqualified. after all the training only took a few hours.

flame suit off....

Bottom Line: its a hobby

Put the flame suit back on

NOWHERE in Part 97 does the word "hobby" appear.

Now take the suit off
AB3TH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2016, 01:53:54 AM »

I didn't take a course since I'm an engineer and knew the theory.  I did have to study about ham specifics and rules.  If I did want to take a course, the ARRL website shows only one available within a 100 mile radius.  I'm not out in the wilderness.  I live within commuting distance of Washington DC.  True, there are probably courses which aren't listed with ARRL but that's a logical place for people to start looking.  A one-day course won't give you a fraction of what you need to get on the air and you might not even pass.  But, it's some exposure to ham radio and something is better than nothing.
KQ4YA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 05:10:53 AM »

I'm all for the one day course. I was first licensed as a Novice in 1961. Sure I passed the test but I was totally ignorant. Over the years I learned a bit. I think many of us entered the hobby that way - with no clue at all but also with the motivation to learn as we went along. Actually operating presented me with practical problems that I had to solve. So I did solve them over time. Had I not been able to get on the air in the first place I would have never learned, never have been exposed to the practical problems that stood between me and operating my station. I understand the counter arguments here but I am saying that there's nothing new about coming into the hobby without much knowledge and learning as we operate.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2016, 06:45:03 AM »

The ARRL loves anything that adds more bodies into the hobby so they can brainwash the newbies into membership. The ARRL survives on catching them early.  Although I don't agree with most ARRL boondoggle legal activities their publications are excellent.
ARCSPARK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 06:41:32 AM »

I wouldn't hold any classes for amateur radio licensing at all.  If someone wants to be a ham they can buy the study materials and any other ARRL publications that do a good job of exposing Amateur radio to the reader.  They can approach a radio club and perhaps hook up with a number of hams who might be interested in guiding the person toward some exposure to the hobby.  Otherwise, too many idiots are on the air already.
Yeah, I hear three of them every morning, Gary, Peter, John, you don't know these three by any chance now would you! Roll Eyes
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2016, 12:52:06 PM »

You need a course for a tech ticket?!   YIKES.

What background does that applicant have?  Sophomore in high school?, college graduate in electrical engineering?  Even the EE will need to learn the rules and regs, and today an EE may not get much teaching in analog radio work.  When I took my tech in 1976, I was in college as a EE (general written) I barely passed it.  Grin The test had questions that needed a combination of theory and regulations to answer, like "Your linear amp uses 800VDC on the finals. What's the max amount of current the finals can draw and be legal?"  Back in the day max power was a kilowatt input power, so the answer would then be 1.25 amps.  But wait, there's this thing called "peak envelope power" which if I remember rightly you could have transient peaks of 2KW in SSB mode...  I haven't ever run a linear, sometimes I think my 100W on HF is "QRP" at times...  I don't remember how many questions there were, but you needed to know more "items" of knowledge than there were questions.  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:56:10 PM by WA2ISE » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: