Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: renewing license via fcc  (Read 10719 times)
KD4RLV

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:46:30 PM »

Hi there,

I was wondering if it's easier to renew using the FCC Site or is it better to do with W5YI.?.Any help is greatly appreciated..Smiley Thanks in Advance
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »

I always use the FCC and it seems pretty easy: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

if you have any issues post here and i am sure you will get the help you need.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »

I don't begrudge W5YI making money, but...

Really? Confusing to whom? Do not fall into this trap!

Not only is it easier to renew directly on the ULS website, but you will save $8.00!
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:47:39 PM »

Just follow the directions on the FCC web site:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=cft&id=amateur&page=cft_renew_amateur#electronic_filing

The "License Manager" page is at:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

Couldn't be easier.

Mel - KS2G
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:59:48 AM »

The FCC site is pretty east to renew on  . . . Or you can spend $'s to have it done for you.

K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »

The FCC site is pretty east to renew on  . . . Or you can spend $'s to have it done for you.

I am kind of surprised it is legal to have someone else do it for you -- seems kind of like having someone else renew your driving license.

so i guess they electronically sign the form for you and also then have the password to renew, modify, or cancel your license  Huh

i guess the online-averse who are not short on cash would find it a helpful service... 
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:00:56 AM »

If you are an ARRL member they will renew for you for free, but as was stated, the FCC site is painless and direct.
Art
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »

I am kind of surprised it is legal to have someone else do it for you -- seems kind of like having someone else renew your driving license.

so i guess they electronically sign the form for you and also then have the password to renew, modify, or cancel your license  Huh

i guess the online-averse who are not short on cash would find it a helpful service... 
Or maybe someone has found a way to make money from people too uninformed to know better?
I just received a renewal mailing from w5yi group including what appears to be an official FCC form. Same form, same complexity or lack thereof. The only difference is the space to insert your credit card info compared to the free FCC form.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 01:10:27 PM »

Was there something wrong with the way I said pretty much the sane thing you just said back in August?
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 01:13:02 AM »

I just received a renewal mailing from w5yi group including what appears to be an official FCC form. Same form, same complexity or lack thereof. The only difference is the space to insert your credit card info compared to the free FCC form.

i just noticed that if you go to your QRZ page and click the detail tab, at bottom it says:

Apply for a new Vanity callsign...

but the green font is a link that actually takes you to this address: "w5yi.org/ssl/vanity_form.php"

so apparently it is actually a paid advertisement disguised as a QRZ site functionality...  sneaky, very sneaky ... :-/   

if u need to renew go to the FCC site directly and if you a want a vanity call, visit www.ae7q.com (free site)
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »

Was there something wrong with the way I said pretty much the sane thing you just said back in August?
Excuse me for agreeing with you...but if you want to pick on what I said, you might do it grammatically correct - " you just said back in August" means if said it then which is obviously wrong.

The point being W5YI et al are not providing a service as much as he takes advantage of the uninformed
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »

The point being W5YI et al are not providing a service as much as he takes advantage of the uninformed

Well if we are going to pick nits...

Fred Maia, the person who actually held the call W5YI and founded the organization, became SK on March 28, 2012.

But thank you for agreeing with me just the same!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:14:38 PM »

Hi there,

I was wondering if it's easier to renew using the FCC Site or is it better to do with W5YI.?.Any help is greatly appreciated..Smiley Thanks in Advance
Just renewed, all is simple via the FCC site...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: