The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 years ago I got my license  (Read 5154 times)
N9CYS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 04:23:59 PM »

I got my novice in ’71 at the tender age of 14.   Took the general test twice before ’75 – and failed.   I could copy (or so I thought) 15+ wpm but couldn’t get a minute perfect.  The FCC office in Chicago was pretty intimidating.

I had a business meeting downtown in ’86 and walked in on the FCC – cold.  Passed the General!  (I confess that I was active as a SWL.)  Bureaucrat asked me if I wanted to take the Advanced.  I thought what the heck, but the written test was daunting.  I still have respect for the current Advanced hams I work now.  That was the second toughest test I ever took (I’m a PMP.}

I ‘m having a blast working QRP – just picked up a KX2.  Working 800mi today on 5 watts reminds me of the thrill of being a novice.  Hard to believe I’M an OT!
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 06:15:54 AM »

I got my drivers license almost fifty over forty-five years ago...shall I have a celebration too?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 11:37:50 AM »

I had a business meeting downtown in ’86 and walked in on the FCC – cold.  Passed the General!  (I confess that I was active as a SWL.)  Bureaucrat asked me if I wanted to take the Advanced.  I thought what the heck, but the written test was daunting.  I still have respect for the current Advanced hams I work now.  That was the second toughest test I ever took (I’m a PMP.}

At the age of 13, I took the General exam at a FCC visit to Rock Island Arsenal in 1981. It was pretty easy but then again I had studied for it. They then offered me the chance to take the Advanced, and I took it and barely passed, but yes it was very daunting to take an exam I had not studied for. I remember being intimidated by many problems/schematics with tubes and requiring some calculations (biasing? etc.). There were lots of questions about modes and regulations I knew nothing about, and lots of questions about antennas way more advanced than anything I had access to!

If anyone has a copy of the question pool from the 60's/70's I'd be very interested in seeing it. Like a Bash book from back then?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:46:22 AM by N3QE » Logged
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 11:57:22 AM »

I got my drivers license almost fifty over forty-five years ago
Got mine 46 years ago.  One of the big events of an American's life, getting their first driver license.  More significant than Catholic confirmation or Jewish bar Mitzi.  But less significant than graduating college. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: