Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRZ.com site no longer on the internet  (Read 5607 times)
KE6ANM

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »

well, qrz is down again.
It went away during the NA QSO party contest, blocking contest participants from accessing their logs, AND CALL SIGN LOOK UP.
the web site is still down a day later.
It's a bad weekend for that web site administrator.

Hard to believe that the site couldn't be brought up with in a day.

Note to site owner,  leave someone  in charge of your company  when you go on vacation.
DUH.....................................
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:13:35 AM »

It went away during the NA QSO party contest, blocking contest participants from accessing their logs

People actually use qrz.com logs for contest logging?

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KE6ANM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:17:48 AM »

Grin
nice one
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »

Geez go easy on the guy. He's providing a site and service FREE of charge to all hams and puts countless hours into running the site and you still complain. A switch failed and he was able to get it fixed. If you think you can do a better job go ahead.
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 11:10:18 PM »

I hope that crappy site stays down for good. The only problem is that the screwballs over there will come here LOL
KE6ANM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »

Ya It was kind of tongue in cheek, but I did sound kind of mean.
don't wish him ill will.
I use his site as well.
bummer to be him during the black out.
ke6anm
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:20:01 PM »

Pages load a whole bunch faster on the Zed than they do here on eHam.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »

What happened is that their main router went down, it sh*t the bed.  The site is back up and running now.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 06:46:30 AM »

QRZ is a great site, and no one would bother complaining about an outage if it wasn't used so much.  I appreciate the time/money the administrators put in, I doubt they are getting rich from the few ads and premium members (I'm one of the freebies).
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »

QRZ is Fred LLoyd, one man, one administrator. He and his wife keep the site going, almost at a loss.

Met him in person the first time in Hunstville this year, but have spoke with him by phone and email many times.

Bought banner ads from him too (as well as eHam from a great SK guy, Bill Fisher, W4AN).

I keep saying hams expect the same level out of one person as they expect out of a Microsoft or Yahoo.  The market is tiny.  When I worked for MSN we had almost 1,000,000 in the first few months and the data center has LOTS of outages (continues to this day, almost 15 years later).

So if Microsoft can't keep their servers up as much as QRZ does, your expectations are too high.
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »

QRZ is a great site. Those that complain would probably complain if someone gave them a million dollars in pennies and argue why do I have to take it in pennies.
KB2SEO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 01:06:58 PM »

well, qrz is down again.
It went away during the NA QSO party contest, blocking contest participants from accessing their logs, AND CALL SIGN LOOK UP.

Note to site owner,  leave someone  in charge of your company  when you go on vacation.

Sorry to be a "Johnny come Lately" but as mentioned by a few others, IT IS A FREE SERVICE. He pays for the telephony (ever see the bills for the t-1 lines?), equipment and services by selling ad speace and the kindness of the Ham radio community who does appreciate the effort. like the guy who cursed out the creator of Spybot Search and destroy becase he said the website looked cheap- WHAT THE HECK YA WANT FOR FREE? I assume you'll be yelling DUH at the eHam "Company"? how bout pee on the cornflakes of Al and the gang who took over qsl.net ?  I get the impressing when you throw a dollar in the Salvation army pot at Christmas, you ask for change and a receipt?

Please try to recall, Or at least LEARN the Amateur code please? Many of us actually believe in acting like ladies and gentlemen
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 08:59:11 AM »

I hope that crappy site stays down for good. The only problem is that the screwballs over there will come here LOL

It can probably be argued that the folks over at QRZ can say the same thing about eHam.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 09:45:31 AM »

well, qrz is down again.

Well Perry, it appears that you just MIGHT be a relative newcomer to ham radio, and if so you're still learning. One point to realize, if I am reading your post correctly, is contesters don't use online logs like QRZ.COM as a realtime logger during a contest. Way too much delay in response time and I think if the truth were known, it was never intended for that sort of use anyway. Most use some sort of computerized logging but it's done locally on the host PC. I'd suggest you do some research on how to setup an effective contest station if you're that serious about contesting. Get some real contest software and have fun.

To others who complain about QRZ.COM and praise eHAM, I'd recommend that you take a look at the results page for a callsign lookup on eHAM. It specifically says 'Results courtesy of QRZ.COM' in the upper right of page.

Like some have said to complainers, if you think you can do better, have at it.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
G0VHL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »

Pages load a whole bunch faster on the Zed than they do here on eHam.

Zed? Shouldn't that be Zee, or has a Brit been teaching you to speak properly?  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: