Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD Equivalent for Linux?  (Read 1516 times)
K0BT

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2009, 04:31:04 PM »

I use Ham radio Deluxe and DM780 on my Vista64 system.  Is there anything out there for Ubuntu Linux that can compare to HRD?  I'd like to switch over to Linux, but would hate to give up HRD without finding something even half as nice.

Thanks,
Bob
K0BT
WB6THE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 04:37:37 PM »

There is a Linux program called WINE which allows a Linux
machine to run software made for Windows. That's all I
know about it but do a Google search.

Good Luck
W9FXC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »

I use Fldigi:

http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html

I am a Linux guy and don't use Windows, so I have never tried HRD and can't compare them.  I can tell you that Fldigi is a very capable program.
W0ZS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »

If you watch the DM870 start up screen, you will see the credits for fldigi which was written initially for Linux.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:07:42 PM »

Thank you for the replies.  I installed fldigi and it is exactly what I was looking for.  I appreciate the help.

Bob
K0BT
N8DV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »

Flidigi is about it. It's not as slick as Ham Radio Deluxe but it does get the job done. Flidigi is not a user-friendly as HRD and it's also free. I have tried both. There is a version for windows also. If you use it in Linux, it does take some setting up. Rig control is limited and takes a little bit to setup. HRD is nice because it can control the rig, run a digial mode program and as I have it setup with a gateway to DX Keeper logbook--my computer logbook of choice. So, I have both, HRD's logbook and DX Keeper's log. There is a new technology preview, not a beta, version of HRD logbook out for people to take a look at.
I have tried all the popular digital mode software out there everything from Multipsk, Winpsk, WinWarbler, Digipan, etc. I like HRD and it's still free. I here from the HRD forum that a new upgrade is coming out middle of March. Hope my two cents helps. 73.
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 05:58:46 PM »

You might be interested in this GREAT podcast if your interested in using Linux.  

They have covered this very issue and more.

http://blacksparrowmedia.com/lhs/
KN0CK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »

All good that you found fldigi - it's great, too.

It's also possible in any Linux version to run Sun Microsystems's Virtual Box with an XP session (you'd need to load your Windows XP install to create an XP VDI that Virtual Box would load/run/use).  Once you have XP running under Virtual Box, then you could install and launch HRD in that Windows XP session and run it in near-real time.  Virtual Box allows the XP session to use the PCs resources (sound card, usb, etc) at the time it's running and it's not a resource hog to your Unbuntu session that would be running, too.

Mac users use Virtual Box all the time for those Windows apps that they want to run under their environment, too.  But many Linux users also use Virtual Box under the same circumstances (where there is no app that they can find for Linux, so they run a Windows session under Linux).

Convoluted? Maybe, probably leaning hard to YES.  But when you REALLY love HRD and can't live without it (and don't want to play with WINE), Virtual Box can be a handy app to have in your back pocket for most Windows apps to run as-advertised under Linux.

73's de Marty, KN0CK
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:42:33 PM »

Fldigi is very nice software.  I have to say though that I haven't found anything that quite compares to Ham Radio Deluxe and DM-780, so I've been booting into Vista instead of Linux when I want to use the PC with my rig.  

I'll try the virtual machine under Linux next.  I also have Ubuntu setup to run in a VM under Vista.  It's nice to have so many options.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: