Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: setting up yaesu ft-950 for psk31  (Read 3770 times)
G4GQL

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2010, 12:33:01 PM »

Hi All

how do I set up Yaesu FT-950 for PSK31?

What are menu settings

regards

Alan
G4GQL
N0OKS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:51:02 PM »

Alan

You could start by looking at the the user manual. Then you could Google PSK and find all sorts of info on setting up PSK, hardware, software, all kinds of stuff. But please be aware you need to first supply your rig with suitable power, attach an antenna and turn it on.

Hope this helps

Mark, NØOKS
G4GQL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 01:17:01 AM »

Hi Mark

Thanks for reply

I was actually looking for any 'hidden' settings as this is a brand new rig for me, hence the very simple posting.

I have used PSK 31 for 6 years with many rigs, using Multicon Isoterm, Fox, homebrew interfaces and Signalink, also mic/phones taped together, so no need for any interfaces

Microprocessor controlled rigs can be a bit confusing when the instruction manual is vague concerning PSK31 in the case of Yaesu-no references at all to Phase Shift Keying. So an experienced hand is more valuable than looking up info.

The problem was the RF gain on the ganged RF/AF control was turned down and I did not notice it-one gets a bit rusty with 66 turns on the coil and licenced 34 years!

All is now well

regards

Alan
G4GQL
EPC # 11119

www.myhamshack.com/g4gql
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:26:42 AM by Alan Schiffman » Logged
K7ZRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 07:29:51 AM »

Alan,

In spite of the insensitive first reply (don't get me started on that kind of thing), it looks like the radio has the two most important controls when switching from normal SSB voice to PSK31 located as manual controls on the front of the radio.  Those being the processor on/off and the power level control.  Other than that it's just an SSB form of communication.

I use an Icom IC-7000 for the digital modes, and I DO have to go into menus to change those two items, but that's all. Actually, I have the 7000 conntected to the computer for CAT/C-IV, and can make those changes that way, but still not quite as convenient as pushing a button or twisting the knob a little.

Good luck,

Brian K7ZRZ
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:47:24 AM by Brian J. Ingoldsby » Logged

Brian K7ZRZ
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:31:45 AM »

The information is in the "Packet" and 'Miscellaneous AFSK-based Data Modes" sections of the FT-950 manual.  It seems reasonably complete.

The manufacturers should revise some of their literature to reflect _now_, rather than _15 years ago_ . . .

Charles
G4GQL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »

Hi Brian & Charles

I agree that the literature is out of date for modern modes and should be more comprehensive
in it's instruction especially as the new digital modes are so popular.

I find the signalink the best as the TX output can be altered easily.

In true Amateur radio style, I opened the box, connected up, played for a couple of hours and then......read the manual, Hi Hi...so I missed the RF gain setting.

I run QRP on my FT-817 often as a challenge, with great results

Living in a flat I am often plagued with S9 local QRM and PSK31 is a great mode for me

See www.myhamshack.com/G4GQL to see the special HB phased antennas I use

Any other suggestions regarding the FT-950, Signalink and PSK31 will be well appreciated.

Thanks to both of you for the very useful comments and good DX

regards and 73

Alan, G4GQL

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »

I sympathize with your situation -- I live in a townhouse development, with an attic dipole antenna.  PSK31 and other digital modes are one of the few ways to work through S9 noise.

I'd guess that the FT-950 would be a good choice for PSK31 -- the DSP filters go down to 50 Hz bandwidth, I think.  You'll like the 100 watts, as compared with the FT-817.<g>

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: