Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clansman radios  (Read 1308 times)
G4REK

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:42:55 AM »

Hi,
    I've noticed of late the large number of sales of the Clansman radios...hf and vhf types    the hf versions can easily work on the ham bands, although the are only one ssb sideband (easily modified) the Vhf versions cover somewhere between 37 megs to 57 megs surely all these vhf radios are not just for static display in military vehicles?? is there a frequency that they are being used on ...if so i would like to have a listen.....
                  thanks Jim G4REK
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »

When I was in the school CCF in the 70's we used to use the Clansman VHF radios on our exercises courtesy of the Royal Marines at Eastney and we would just plonk down on any frequency in the radio's VHF range. Of course we avoided BBC channel 1 tv audio which was around 50MHz but we could listen to the audio. I never heard anyone else on the band apart from us during those exercises as I imagine that the range wasn't particularly great - 10 miles maybe. We would set up a mast mounted vertical antenna for the base station. The vertical antenna was marked in frequency so that we could set the resonant length close to our chosen frequency of operation.

Mark N1UK G3ZZM
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »

As you might imagine, Clansman radios would probably not sell well in most of the US.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:24:23 AM »

Many Clansman radios use integrated circuits that haven't been made for years - in fact some of the special IC's in the frequency synthesisers had a 'last time buy' placed on them as far back as 1980, while a load of  spares were destroyed in a fire at a depot some time back. I'm told that there has been a lot of cannibalisation done to keep a number of the radios working, so you would need to check carefully that any radio you got was complete and working before parting with cash!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: