Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux MiniVNA Software Help  (Read 2483 times)
AE5I

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »

Good afternoon-

I am trying to get the Gnome/Linux version of the MiniVNA software installed on an Ubuntu Linux computer and, since I'm totally new to Linux, I know I have a lot of reading to do.

My question is:  have you installed this software on a Linux machine and if so, do you happen to remember exactly what all you had to do in order to get it working? I know that I can do a lot of research and figure it out and I definitely plan to do the research when the time becomes available....  But if anybody can give me a leg up on it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Tom AE5I
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:50:01 PM »

without getting your hackles up...

i would like to suggest to switch to a windows machine/pc.
there is a lot more software available, and I think for that reason, you could get help quite a bit quicker.

kevin
k6rea
AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:35:19 AM »

Hi Kevin-

You're preaching to the choir:  I've been a Windows user since version 2.11c and wish this program ran in Windows.  I have installed Linux in a dual-boot arrangement for trying out this program.

My problem is that I'm not an experienced Linux user and haven't had time to research all of the configuration/libraries/compiling processes that are apparently necessary in order to get this software working.  Some of the command line stuff I've seen so far reminds me of the old command line version of PKARC....  ;-)

I hope my first impression is not typical of Linux operation....  It would be cool to have a second operating system to boot into in case of trouble with my Win installation, but so far, trying to get this program installed has been nothing but aggravation.

I have several programs that run the MiniVNA in Windows and I like 'em a lot, but I read about this one on the internet and would like to see if it has anything additional to offer.  The MiniVNA is a LOT of bang for the buck.

Thanks for the suggestion, and my hackles are fine...  ;-)

Tom AE5I
K5PHW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »

You might see if it will run in Wine. Wine is in the
repo's.
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 06:04:10 AM »

I agree with the person who mentioned WINE.  WINE is a WINdows Emulator (Hence "WINE").  It emulates Windows so you can use Windows software on a Linux machine.  I've used it for many applications and it works well.  Ubuntu linux is good, very user friendly.

http://www.winehq.org/

If you run into problems installing WINE, either post another message or e-mail me and I'll help you out.
AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:30:15 AM »

Thanks very much for the suggestion, but again, I may not have properly conveyed my situation...

I run Windows for every application except for this one and I have software that runs in Windows for the MiniVNA.

There is another program that runs the MiniVNA that only runs in Linux and my reason for adding a Linux partition to my computer is that I would like to run the Linux MiniVNA program to see if it has any good features that the Windows versions don't have.

My computer's not a "Linux machine" that I need to run Windows based software on, but rather, is a Windows based machine with a Linux partition added in dual-boot configuration, solely for the purpose of evaluating this program.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, though!

Tom AE5I
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:20:52 AM »

Firstly determine if you need to compile from source or if you have a package.

For a package you just use the install tool for your distro.  Go to the web site for your distro.  Some debian based distros will install the package just by double clicking on the package.

For compile from source, the basic steps are usually:

unpack the archive.  on ubuntu based distros there is usually xarchiver that will allow extract option via right click (like Windoze).

get a terminal up.

cd to the unpacked directory

type "./config"

This should make a configuration for the make file.
A bunch of messages should go by but in the end it should not give any fatal error type message.

then type "make install"

It should compile and install.

You then might want to do "make clean" which will clean up the intermediate files.

If you are lucky the software will be added to your distros menus.  If not you can try typing its name in the terminal window.

If the program can't be found you will need to perhaps type the entire directory path to the executable.

You should understand that if you were to compile from source in windows, you would first have to buy a compiler, then set it up, then compile.

Also wine is not an emulator.  It is a library that services the windows API calls from windows programs in linux.

Lastly, if you must use linux as a noob, then stick to Ubuntu or derived distros so you can benefit from all the automation.  You should check their repos (using Synaptic) and see if the software you need is there.  Install via the tool if it is.  Don't mess with source unless that is the only way.
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:04:04 AM »

I don't want to be "that guy," but if it works in Windows, then why go through all the trouble of Linux or simply call/e-mail the company and see if there are any differences between the Windows or Linux versions.
AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »

Good thought, but it's not a "company".  The software for the MiniVNA is all written by hams and is free to use.  The documentation that I have seen is written toward the user who is familiar with Linux and includes a suggestion that if you are new to Linux then go read about it...  Which is not unreasonable and I plan to do just that, but I was hoping to get the program working without having to get quite so deep into running Linux before hand.

Thanks very much for the suggestion though!

73 and GL DX...

Tom AE5I
AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »

Thanks very very much for the great reply!  I really appreciate it...

Part of my problem is that am not familiar enough (yet) with Linux to know if I have the compiled version or not.  

How can I tell if I have a "package" or not?  

I'm pretty sure the source is there and I've run more or less the steps that you outlined in the process but no luck so far.  I'll have time on Saturday to get deeper into it and hopefully get 'er going then.

I'll have your reply with me and I have no doubt that it'll get me going.

Oh, and what are "repos" and what is "Synaptic"?

No rush....  Just know that I really appreciate the help!

If I continue to use Linux at all I intend to get deeper into all this stuff...  :-)

Thanks again,

Tom AE5I
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:05:29 AM »

Computers and ham radio are much alike.  Windows is for appliance operators and linux is more like home brewing.

Send me an email WA7NCL@arrl.net.  I will be glad to help you if you wish.

Otherwise I would highly recommend you run one of the Ubuntu Linux distros.  If you go to their web site and look at the support pages, you will find answers to what repos, packages and so forth are.  Also you can search their forums for answers to noobie questions and you can also post questions as well.

Linux is well worth learning about.  It's a whole new world of freedom and choice once you leave the evil empire.

It's just like ham radio.  Lots of guys with lots of advice.  Choose well.
KB1HTW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »

Sorry - been busy the last couple of months and haven't visited eHam.net in a while.

For those of you interested in experimenting with Linux, here's some points:

1) Basically, you can forget the old fears about having to open a terminal window (command line) and type gibberish to install/compile new software. Virtually every modern Linus distribution is on-par with Windows as far as ease of use. The GUI (graphical user interface) is used to accomplish just about 99.9% of the typical tasks an average user needs. The biggest problem is...

2) Linux is not Windows, so don't expect to click your mouse pointer in the exact same places as Windows, nor should you expect the same titles/labels. Linux is usually a bit tough for neophytes because the only computers they've been exposed to use the Microsoft approach to do things. If you step back and look at Linux with a fresh eye, you'll actually find that things are laid out more logically than Windows (especially if your distro uses the Gnome desktop rather than KDE).

3) One of the best things about Linux is that all distributions (Red Hat, Fedora, SuSE, Ubunto, Mepis, Mandriva, etc) all have setup "repositories" where you can download from the Internet all kinds of applications. That's a big improvement over the Windows world where you have to use a search engine like Google and go to all kinds of (possibly dubious) websites to download new apps. And these repositories are very secure - all applications are digitally signed so that your application downloader - whether it's Synaptic, Apt-Get, whatever - can do a verification check against a signature to verify that the application in the repository hasn't been changed (i.e. - hacked to contain malware).

4) The best thing about Linux, as pointed out earlier in this thread, is that it lends itself to homebrewers (in addition to appliance operators). With Windows, if you want to get into software development, you have to buy compilers/debuggers/development environments separately - an additional cost over the cost of Windows. With Linux, you get your choice of development tools in the repository - C/C++ compilers, Java suites, Perl, PHP, Python - all kinds of lanquages. All for free.

And I want to point out an error in an earlier posting regarding configuring/compiling/installing source code in Ubuntu. Ubuntu is setup by default such that you can run with root privileges without ever having to log in as the root user. Just use the "su" (set user) command. You can, however, make a modification to the sodoers config file to let you do a "su root" and get a root shell. It's infinitely safer than logging into the GUI as the root user. It's a shame that Microsoft didn't do that with Windows until Vista - and even then, they did a pretty poor implementation of it. Most people got so frustrated they went ahead and disabled the protections. Things look much better with Windows 7...
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 09:18:58 AM »

Since Ubuntu is Debian based, you need to use "sudo" instead of "su" which is RedHat based for root permission.  I'm switching from Fedora to Ubuntu and just found that out myself (after many times of trying to "yum" my way through packages).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: