Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TenTec 1340 Help!  (Read 4039 times)
KC2YQY

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 10:12:32 AM »

Would anybody out there consider assembling my TenTec 1340? I am still pretty much a novice when it comes to kit building and bit off a little more than I can chew. I would certainly compensate any takers. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks - Bill
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »

Take the first step. 

As Sir Edmund Hilary once said, the first step of a climb is the hardest and after that, Divine Providencs steps in to lend a hand. 

You can do it. 

And you will learn so much in the process that I for one would not dare to take on doing it for you and depriving you of the experience. 

You will also be taking the first step towards becoming an Amateur Radio Operator, rather than just another Appliance Operator.  That is worth its weight in gold when all is said and done. 

You can do it. 

Take your time, read the directions, read again, understand before doing and if not sure, ask someone for advice. 

TenTec itself is a very good source for answers as well. 

You can do it. 

You should do it.

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »

The first QSO you make with a rig
you built yourself is so exciting that it's
worth the apprehension that you are
feeling right now.

Read a good soldering tutorial
and take your time.
You can do it.

If you truly feel that you can't,
I'll do it for you.
73, Ken AD6KA
My email is good at QRZ.com
K3XI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:57:18 AM »

I have built Ten-Tec qrp kits. They are very good. The best advice I can give you is, go for it.
The biggest help, is take your time. If you are not sure about something, call tentec, they
are more than happy to help.
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »

I totally agree with K3XI---in fact, of the 3 monobanders I have built and still own---the TT 1340 is the one I mostly turn to because of the following features:
---hot and quiet receiver, wonderful keying (QSK), smooth VFO, front panel accessibility for headphones, 4.5 watts out---and the 'just right' bandwidth of 1000 hz.
The building of it is not nearly as intimidating as it may appear at 'first glance'---trust me and good luck.
Ernie
VE3GNU
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:35:22 PM »

Bill, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but managed to assemble and align my 1340 by taking small bites. Yes it does seem overwhelming at first but it is doable for sure. When you're done it's a real radio not a toy.
  Working stations on a rig you soldered together yourself on the kitchen table is a real kick and also impresses the hell out of the civilians. No shame in not building it yourself, but hope you give it a shot. Either way, will listen for you on 40.
       73 de Tom, AB9NZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: