Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working USB to serial adapter for rig control on Windows 7  (Read 6972 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »

I want to start this thread because it appears that I have been inundated with info regarding people that purchased laptops and are having trouble using a USB to serial adapters for rig control on various loggers. The problem appears to be with Windows Vista and Windows 7, and that many adapter don't support these OS. Some of these adapter chipset are also problematic.

So, I am listing the adapter that I use, which has been flawless. My setup is a Windows 7 -64, Yaesu FT-950, N1MM logger and Ham Radio Deluxe 5.0. I use the following adapter from USBGear:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-232&cats=106&catid=482%2C1303%2C199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

If you also have a compatible adapter that works with these versions of Windows, I suggest you reply and list the adapter, so others can Google it and locate it in the future.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »

See http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Win7VistaHardware

Dave, AA6YQ
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:37:59 AM »

Dave,

That Keyspan must have just had their Win 7 drivers released. I had called them as it was recommended, and they did not support it at that time. This is going back like to March or so.
KC9BUH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:50:03 AM »

rt systems has the best usb to serial converter
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:22:33 PM »

rt systems has the best usb to serial converter

I started this thread to list working USB to serial adapters, especially for Windows Vista and 7, as an informative post to help people. Saying that "so and so are the best", is not informative. It is an opinion of something that is factually baseless (unless you actually can provide the facts).

If one of those adapters that RT Systems sells, does in fact work with 7 and Vista, then list the adapters and what OS, rig, etc, that you are using, so someone else can find the info.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:24:14 PM by Vinnie Sallustio » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:58:27 PM »

Dave,

That Keyspan must have just had their Win 7 drivers released. I had called them as it was recommended, and they did not support it at that time. This is going back like to March or so.

It's been working in my Windows 7 system for months; others have also reported success.

Keep in mind that the various transceiver control applications don't all depend on the same driver functions.

Dave, AA6YQ
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 12:32:13 AM »

I use a couple of these interfaces, both come up as "prolific usb interface" in device manager.
I have used these on both Windows XP and Seven without any problems.
They are not marked in any way and the boxes are long gone, but they were not expensive.
Perhaps this chipset may work, for what it's worth.

Good luck.
KC9BUH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 02:21:57 AM »

windows (all late model versions)
RT Systems usb to serial converter
RT systems software(s)
icom software
ham radio deluxe
other radio control software
ft-950
ft-897
ft-857
ft-8900
ft-8800
ft-7800
ft-1500
ft-60
vx-170
vx-150
icom-121s
kenwood t?-700
countless others

I have tried ebay usb to radio cables(no luck)

NEVER had a problem with RT System's converter

SO if i say something is bad,ok,good or the best you really should listen and not chastise.

yes I should have been in more detail but I hate typing.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:14:41 AM »

My experience with many commercial users on a variety of Vista and Win7 systems is that anything with an FTDI or Prolific chipset will work most reliably. Unstable drivers can affect the OS and other programs even when not in use by the USB-Serial converter.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 06:28:52 AM »

KC9BUH,

I was not chastising. Your 2nd post was informative, which is what I was trying to achieve. You can't just say something is the best (especially on these forums), without facts. The fact that those cables work, is what I was asking.

Personally, the cable I listed has worked flawlessly. However, there is no way I can tell you if it is the best or not.

Also, I don't think ebay has anything to do with cables that work or don't work. Ebay is not a manufacturer.
K7XRT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 10:27:08 PM »

Here is the link for PROLIFIC's site. There drivers have worked just fine VISTA and WIN 7. You will find everything here. Check em out and see if they will help you out........http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31
These drivers seemed to work just fine with the newer Uniden  scanners and the Wouxun imported "dual band" radios quite well. Your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:41:55 PM by John P. Santucci » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: