Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Sign Portable (/) When Not Operating From Your Home Call District!  (Read 9956 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »

Having a call that doesn't match the district has been allowed by FCC for more than 31 years.

While it can be a help in some cases to know that the call matches the district, it is usually of rather limited use.

Here's why:

The 1 call area is New England - not very big geographically, but it includes 6 states and 7 sections.

The 2 call area is NJ and NY - only 2 states, but 6 sections. And it's a bit of a fur piece from Cape May NJ to Niagara Falls, NY

The 3 call area is 3 states and 4 sections

The 4 call area is 7 states and 10 sections. It extends from the southern tip of Florida almost to the Mason-Dixon line, and from the Atlantic Ocean to the Mississippi.

The 5 call area is 6 states and 9 sections. Stretches from the state of Missippi to the Four Corners (northwest corner of NM).

The 6 call area is just 1 state  - and 9 sections

The 7 call area is 8 states and 9 sections, and stretches from the border with Mexico to the border with Canada, and from the Pacific to the Dakotas.

The 8 call area is 3 states and 3 sections, yet from the upper peninsula of Michigan to the WVA southeastern border is quite a ways.

The 9 call area is 3 states and 3 sections, too.

The 0 call area is 8 states and stretches from the Mississippi to the Rockies, and from Canada to Oklahoma.

I'll leave it to others to figure out the grid squares.

The point is that even if everybody used corresponding calls, it doesn't narrow things down all that much in many cases.

And while it can be a disappointing to discover that the call you thought was DX is just in the next state, the reverse happens too.

73 de Jim, N2EY (in EPA for 31 years).
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 06:04:30 AM »

Which other countries nowadays allow hams to keep their call when moving?

I am under the impression (probably mistaken) that in most countries hams have to change calls when moving.

I understand that a 1 call living in 6 land is misleading.  I am a 2 call living in 1 land.  My license was originally issued for a residence less than 50 miles from my current address.  Propagation-wise I am in the same place.  I don't feel bad about not signing /1 because I'm not misleading DX or contesters.  I rarely contest or DX, so the issue becomes even less relevant.  Call number is irrelevant for ragchewing.

I'll admit that having to give up your call after an address change would loosen up the 1X2 and 2X1 calls for those not licensed at least 15 or more years ago.  I'd join the ranks of those against that plan -- no way am I giving up my 2X1.  I've read that the League wants to add a second numeral to 2X1's and 1X2's, i.e. W23A (example from qrz.com) to give more opportunities for hams to hold short calls.  I wonder if that's a good idea or something that's even possible.  Now that would create headaches for the DX!

73, Jordan     
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »

I am under the impression (probably mistaken) that in most countries hams have to change calls when moving.

There's also the questions of how many other countries are divided into call areas at all - and how many. Plus how much people there move around.

I'll admit that having to give up your call after an address change would loosen up the 1X2 and 2X1 calls for those not licensed at least 15 or more years ago.

It might - and it might not.

In the bad old days, some hams who moved across callsign boundaries would use an address in the old district in order to retain a callsign. All it took was a friend or relative in the old district who would forward your mail. Or, if a ham owned a vacation or second home in the old district, use its address for the license. It was legal and some hams did it for *years*.

Of course in such cases the ham who moved would then be "portable" at the new location, and would sign that way.

The reason the rules changed back in the late 1970s was so that hams who moved a lot could retain their callsigns without such games.

I think it was a good thing, for several reasons.

73 de Jim, N2EY 
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 07:56:09 AM »

I just say " K1WJ Michigan " I'm not really portable. Some day I hope it might be something like " K1WJ Las Vegas....." Cool

73 David
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »

Good shot, Dave! And when you are in the 'cooling off pool' {regardless of depth}, it is now legal for you to sign, "Maritime Mobile, Las Vegas". HI HI   Especially entertaining on, say, Two Meters!

HI HI..........................73
WA2ASQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 03:36:36 AM »

As a person who travels all the time, and operates quite often away from home, I feel I am qualified to comment on this post.  I agree with the author of this post.  As a contest op, DX hound and I guess an "Old Timer" the rule change makes it very difficult to identify locations and band condx.
I am a person who travels on business all the time and like to operate on the road and I always sign portable on my call.  I also have a call sign originally from 2 land and have lived in Newington, CT for years.  When home; I add /1 to my call and on the road I sign portable wherever I am.  I feel it is the right procedure to do, with the type of operating that I enjoy.

WA2ASQ/4 (On the road again right now!)
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »

and the most obvious response.. why not COMMUNICATE with said party?  as in "I see you have an '8' call.. but you're on a 2m machine in Texas.. hows that work?"
then I can explain I'm down here as a snow bird Smiley
hence the part of ham radio where you comunicate.. works the same way on HF.. I'm not licensed for tech.. but I've worked HF a few times at a friends stations who is Smiley
N2FQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »

Hello. I'm guilty for not signing /6 with local hams. However, during a contest or answering a CQ I usually do it once at the beginning.

73 Fernando N2FQ/6
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

Thank you. Signing N2FQ/6 at least ocassionally will help with:

Hams looking for CA, such as for the WAS award
Hams wanting to know if the band is open to CA (as opposed to NY or NJ)
DX cluster spots posted with a /6 or CA comment will help hams know current band conditions

Alan, W2MV
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »

In Canada our callsign prefixes still denote the part of the country we're in. For instance, a VE3 is from Ontario, VE4 from Manitoba, etc. If an amateur moves from one province to another, he has to get a new callsign issued.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »

Part of the call area vs callsign mixup might be less a result of
folks moving around, and more an issue of Vanity calls.
Loads of new General hams not happy with their 2x3 calls.
So they look for a Vanity 1x3 in ANY area...
(So they can pretend they're OT's when they call CQ) Grin

Same with No Code Extras not happy with their issued 2x2's.
"Forget the call area, I WANT me 1x2, 2x1".

IMHO, The FCC just plain shouldn't allow Vanity calls outside
the call area of the applicant. How hard is THAT?

73, Ken AD6KA (Sequentially issued 20wpm Extra call)
                    ex: KB6LEA (Sequencially issued Novice call in Dec 1985)
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 05:51:26 AM »

Not a chance.  A portable station is a temporary base station and that's not me.

N3DF - Miami

Neil N3DF
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »

I've heard guys with out-of-area calls use it to advantage in pile-ups, when the DX is calling by area.  They call using the number in their call, and if that doesn't work, they try again using the area in which they're actually located.  More often than not, the DX lets them get away with it.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk

N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »

Yes, I know that the FCC no longer requires a change of call sign when you move to a new district, and that you no longer legally need to sign "portable" when operating. That's not the point.

There are so many hams operating on HF who have obviously moved and are using their old call signs, that you can't reliably tell where someone is any longer just from the call sign.
As an example, I was listening on 15 M CW and heard a KH7. The band is open to the Pacific I thought...not! He was in Texas.

You get my point. Stop being lazy and not signing portable. Let the number in your call sign mean something as it used to! Simply because signing / is no longer a legal requirement does not mean that you shouldn't do it.  I allways sign n0zna/port 0 when mbl...i too have hear k6 or wa7 and find out they are only 20 miles away in there house on hf bands ...73s de n0zna/John em48sd

Alan, W2MV
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 05:48:36 AM »

The problem is that the OP wants hams to sign portable when they're not.

The slant bar on CW and digital modes, and the words "portable" or "mobile" on 'phone, have a specific meaning. They indicate that the station involved is NOT at the location in the FCC database!

So if I'm operating at home, signing N2EY/3 is simply not good operating practice.

The days when a US ham's call had to match the call district ended more than 30 years ago, and they're not coming back.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: