Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Sign Portable (/) When Not Operating From Your Home Call District!  (Read 9465 times)
W2MV

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »

Yes, I know that the FCC no longer requires a change of call sign when you move to a new district, and that you no longer legally need to sign "portable" when operating. That's not the point.

There are so many hams operating on HF who have obviously moved and are using their old call signs, that you can't reliably tell where someone is any longer just from the call sign.
As an example, I was listening on 15 M CW and heard a KH7. The band is open to the Pacific I thought...not! He was in Texas.

You get my point. Stop being lazy and not signing portable. Let the number in your call sign mean something as it used to! Simply because signing / is no longer a legal requirement does not mean that you shouldn't do it.

Alan, W2MV
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:37:34 AM »

You get my point. Stop being lazy and not signing portable. Let the number in your call sign mean something as it used to!

I think we should do exactly the opposite.  I like my call.  It's not only my callsign... it's my website, my email address, and what all my ham friends know me as.   I like having a 1x2 and in several districts, they are essentially gone unless you want to go through the trouble of "harvesting" one.  If I were to move to W6 or W7 it would be essentially impossible for me to get a 2x1 6 or 7 call.  So I will keep N3OX.

I don't want people to expect me to sign N3OX/7.  I'll have to do it in DX pileups when the DX calls for "numbers" instead of calling for "West Coast NA."  That's bad enough.

We're going to have more and more people signing up for "out of area" calls and we should just get used to it.

I know the feeling you have.  It's unfortunate when I hear a KH2 loud and oh... North Carolina Sad  But it's just the way things are.  I say if you want people to know more or less where you are from your call alone, call CQ with the portable designator.  If you want people to know where you are by your CQ, just say or send your location.  If you just want to talk to someone, call CQ and sort it out later.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:43:38 AM »

Question - if you are operating from your QTH of FCC record, are you operating portable just because your call area doesn't match?
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »

I feel your pain, but I agree with Dan.  As one of "those" people who have an out of district call, there are occasions when I will sign "Port. One" or /1.  That's when I'm operating a contest where 1's are bring hunted, and in VHF weak signal contacts where the station needs to get an approximate fix on me.  Again, as Dan said, I like my 1x2 call. There are only a handful of five syllable calls, and I don't want to lengthen it unless I'm forced to.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:23:48 AM by Tom Hybiske » Logged
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »

It seems that I struck a bit of a nerve...which I expected. The posting was just to start a conversation going and see if anyone else shares my frustration.
To answer AA4PB's question, I would say that you are not "legally" portable if you're operating from your HOR, but the point I was attempting to make was from an operating standpoint, not a legal one.
One of the quintessential properties of a call sign in the USA is/was that the number reflects where you are.
If/when I retire and move to a different area, then I suppose I'll see if I can practice what I preach and sign /KH6 (wishful thinking), etc.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »

.......If/when I retire and move to a different area, then I suppose I'll see if I can practice what I preach and sign /KH6 (wishful thinking), etc.
Yes, I've run into my share of "snowbirds", and former 1 and 2 landers now living in warmer climes who have kept their old calls.  I suppose I'd be amenable to signing /KP2 or /KH7, the proverbial deserted island I've always dreamed about!
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:07:29 PM »

Why not just follow your call sign with your state or city?  Then it doesn't matter what number is in your call. 

I usually just say "this is Whiskey Zero Foxtrot Mike....St. Louis".  Takes all the guess work out of it as the tenth (Zero) call district includes eight US states.

Terry, WØFM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »

FCC changed the ruling, as with so many other things, try not to let anybody steal your joy. 

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:37:51 PM »

There are so many hams operating on HF who have obviously moved and are using their old call signs, that you can't reliably tell where someone is any longer just from the call sign.
As an example, I was listening on 15 M CW and heard a KH7. The band is open to the Pacific I thought...not! He was in Texas.

That's what call sign lookup software and/or the Internet is for. Smiley

I have a 3 call and live in 1 land. I do not sign portable 1, /1 or any other identifier, although I do say MOBILE when I'm operating from my vehicle.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »

When we were allowed to request a call sign, I traded in my 1 land call for a 7 land call so that DX stations, and cranky USA hams, would know what part of the country I lived in.

I have a beam, so if I want to try and work a KL7 or KH6 etc, I aim towards them.  If the signal I hear drops down I can figure they aren't in that part of the world.

But, mainly, since I'm not trying to work them as new countries, it doesn't cause me any problems if a KL7 is in Nevada.

However, I can sympathize with you if you are novice op working on WAS or are looking for them as new DXCC entities.  Perhaps you can assume that if the KL7 or KH6 isn't under a pile up, their call doesn't indicate their location.

Bob
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:43 AM »

Thanks for all of the responses. My favorite is KE3WD's.
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 05:37:17 PM »

When i am mbl i always say portable zero,even if im still in Missouri,if i go to 9 or 5 land i say that...73s de n0zna/John Missouri
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 04:17:53 AM »

It seems that I struck a bit of a nerve...which I expected. The posting was just to start a conversation going and see if anyone else shares my frustration.......

In past years, before the advent of computerized lookups and the internet, there was ample reason to indicate your area if your callsign didn't match it.  Today, it isn't necessary because with just a few keystrokes that information is readily available.  Most hams have a computer at their station AND internet access. 
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 07:37:04 AM »

Come on.... It's such a tiny, tiny, thing to do to help a fellow ham. In the old Amateur's Code was 'Gentleman'.  I promise you, if *I* ever travel to, or move to... Four Land... I also WILL keep my call, but I WILL sign " /4 ", or  "Portable Four" on every CQ or First Reply call... so a guy can crank his quad to me.  I QSO lots of guys that don't HAVE computers, and mine are in a different room than the Ham Rig..........

'Gentleman'.......

W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 12:15:04 PM »

And I have also used, much to my chagrin, DX spots which were misleading since the stations were located on the other side of the country from where their calls indicated...and the bands were not open from my location.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: