Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering who held K5FNI before me?  (Read 4286 times)
K5FNI

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »

I've been a ham 50 years this August. My call was issued in the sweep up before the 5 area began the WA5 series of call signs, so the alphabet was swept for any calls not active. I happened to get mine just a few weeks before the WA5 series came out. But, I never learned who, if anyone, held my call before I did. Since I was a teen then, I didn't have access to Callbooks of the times to seek the answer. I'd appreciate it if someone would report back (if you have access to those books) on who and where any previous holder was.

TKS ES 73,
Rick K5FNI
Mathis TX
AA6RR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:12:12 AM »

You were the first, Rick. The name change threw me at first. 
                                                 Mike - AA6RR
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »

I may be wrong, but as I understood it because of the way things used to be done, your sequential callsign was issued first to a novice as KN5FNI.  Whomever that novice was, they didn't upgrade and the original KN5FNI expired, which left K5FNI as an unassigned call. 

The same thing seemed to have happened to my call, since I have looked and researched just about everywhere I could, and could not find a previous holder of K1CJS either.  The only difference is that your call is an original issue 50 years ago, and mine is a vanity issue, 10 years ago.
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:10:02 PM »

Richard you are the original owner. Here is a site I use to research call signs... http://www.ae7q.com/data/CallHistory.php?CALL=K5FNI  (I used yours as an example).

Rick ^i^
K7NI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 03:59:48 PM »

I have a couple of old callbooks that list K5FNI as Ervin D. Grosshans Jr. of San Angelo TX

Those online databases only show recent history.
AK4AV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 07:32:43 AM »

Rick,

This is just a shout-out to you for helping me to get my amateur license in the 70s.

If memory serves correctly, I noticed an Amateur Radio bumper sticker on your car, parked near my residence.

I left a note on the car and you visited me. You encouraged me to go for the exam, and I'm so delighted you did.

Vy 73,

Buzz AK4AV (ex-KC5CW, N5AIF)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: