Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logger32 and Linux??  (Read 1648 times)
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2006, 01:58:36 AM »

Hello all,

I would like to be rid of Windows all together.  I run SuSe 10 right now and still love Logger32.  I've tried Wine but I get an error.  I did a search on here and found one bloke using Winlin but I don't have the $60US laying around for that ap.  Has anyone found an open source method of using Logger32 in Linux?

Chris VK2ICJ
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 11:15:16 AM »

Hi, Chris,

Running Windows apps under Linux is always problematic to some degree.  

Take a good long look at xlog, which is written by PG4I.  http://www.qsl.net/pg4i/linux/xlog.html  It will import logs in most popular formats so transferring your existing data should not be a problem.  I run xlog 1.3 under Fedora Core 4 (desktop) and Ubuntu Breezy Badger (laptop) and I really like the features and flexibility,  

If you have a newer radio that supports computer control be sure to use xlog with hamlib support saw it can draw data (i.e.: frequency, mode, s-meter reading, etc...) directly from your rig.

Is it logger32?  No, it's just another outstanding piece of logging software.

Caity
K7VO
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 01:22:42 AM »

Hello

I looked at xlog and jlog.   However being a complete neophyte on Linux was baffled by the install direstions.  I have SuSe 10 and use Yast for software installs.

Chris VK2ICJ
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:01:30 AM »

Hi, Chris,

SuSe 10 is a very poor choice for a newcomer to Linux who wants to run ham software.  Nobody packages for SuSe (it isn't popular enough) and you, therefore, cannot use YAST or any other GUI tool to install your ham software.  You have to download the source code and compile it yourself.   For someone with no Linux background and no programing background that is going to be quite a daunting task.  It is vaguely possible the rpm on PG4I's download site will work on SuSe but, again, you would have to install in manually.  YAST only works for packages provided by  Novell/SuSe, not for third party software.  

Your choices:  slog through the instructions, which require you to work in a terminal window or at the command line, or else use a different distribution.  For a new Linux user running ham software look at either Ubuntu or Fedora, not SuSe.

Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, once said that changing operating systems is like performing brain surgery on yourself.  Welcome to the learning curve.  

Caity
K7VO
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 01:27:25 AM »

Hi Caity

Thanks for the info.   I've been trying different distros with my linux box and so far only SuSe recognised my wifi card which is why I stuck with it.  What a shame it is not Ham friendly.  I've tried Fedora Core 4, Mepis, and Mandrake (vers 9.0 not new)   none recognized my wifi card which is a Dlink DWL-G510.  Without that I'm without the Internet and that doesn't help at all.  I tried to follow directions for Fedora to install ndiswrapper and got totally lost and fristrated to the point of not wanting to use Linux ever again haaha.  Obviously days later I gave it another go.

Chris
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 03:27:04 PM »

It isn't that SuSe isn't ham friendly.  It is perfectly ham friendly if you are comfortable compiling your own software.  Clue:  this is a skill you are eventually going to need with *ANY* distribution and it really isn't hard to do.  It just isn't a first steps sort of thing.

I'd step-by-step you through building xlog if I had a SuSe box.  I don't.

NDISwrapper is usually the wrong choice for most wireless cards as it tries to use Windows drivers under Linux.  Fedora lacks drivers for many popular WiFi cards but that is easily solved the same way you'd solve a lack of a driver in Windows:  you download the proper native Linux driver and install it.  It is usually pretty painless.  My cards use either an Atmel or Atheros Super G chipset, neither of which Fedora recognizes until you add drivers.  Once the drivers are in they work perfectly.

Ubuntu is probably your best bet.  It seems to recognize most WiFi cards and it definitely knows about most ham software once you enable the Multiverse.

There are a couple of Linux/Ham groups on Yahoo! where folks probably could step-by-step you through any of these problems and make everything work.  The key is to find someone with the same distribution you have. Check out: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxhams/ and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/

Caity
K7VO
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 07:53:53 AM »

Try running your logging software with a virtual windows running under QEMU or VMWare Player.  Both are free.  I know it is not "pure" since you still have a virtual windows running but you can use something like win98 or win95osr2. Just enough to run the logging program.

I would second the recommendation for Ubuntu.  I have been using it for about 6 mo now and it has become my primary operating system for my ham shack and personal use.

I find that it has good support and it piggybacks on Debian.

73's
Bill
AB9LZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 08:38:24 AM »

I'm running xlog on suse and recall the configure / make  / make install as being seamless other than having to chmod a file or two so it would run non root. Lemme have a peek when I get home.

BTW down loading and compiling source is not a bad thing to know and generally is fairly painless. Opens up a new world of possiblities, tho I imagine it probably can be a bit frustrating at first.

73 / Mark.
RX9TX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »

Running L32 in Linux successfully, see the how-to:
http://rx9tx.qrz.ru/linux.htm
KR4EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 07:19:16 AM »

Try CQRLOG for Linux.

http://www.cqrlog.com/

Or jLog.

http://jlog.org/
KG4CNA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »

I'll add my vote for Ubuntu Linux.  Ubuntu has very good support for most wireless cards and, indeed, has alot of software available for the ham operator. I've been using 'buntu for almost a year now and it's solid as a rock (version Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS). I've also tried Intrepid Ibex (8.10) and it's solid too.

I use xLog as well as Fldigi (with homebrew interface) and XDx (spot network software).  It's always best to use native software written to work on the OS you're using. I have used Echolink (Win version) using WINE as well as Amateur Contact Log and a few other pieces of windows software...but it's sluggish and sometimes flaky.

If you MUST have L32, install Virtualbox and add your Windows OS in the virtual environment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: