Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox Hunting Books  (Read 10755 times)
N5VTU

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2010, 05:59:14 AM »

Hi All,

I have been looking for books on fox hunting and didn't locate any on the ARRL website or by using the search feature on this forum.  Specifically, I'm looking for resources that provide technical tips and tricks to Fox Hunting that are presented in an easy to understand "textbook" type format that would be suitable for presenting at a club meeting.  I have located some old QST articles online, but was hoping to find a book(s) devoted to fox hunting. If you have a recommendation for a good resource please let me know.

Thanks,
Stephen
N5VTU
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »

The main book is "Transmitter Hunting - Radio Direction Finding Simplified" by Joe Moell K0OV and
Tom Curlee WB6UZZ.  Information is here:

http://www.homingin.com/THRDFSinfo.html

This was published in the 1980's, and Joe has discussed various updates, but nothing has been
published yet.  Joe wrote the "Homing-In" column in 73 magazine for many years, and it now
appears periodically in CQ-VHF.  That was the main source of DF information published in the
US.  You can find a list of his articles (and lots of other useful information) on his website at

http://www.HomingIn.com

The links page should lead you to lots of interesting reading.

If you are particularly interested in the on-foot version of the sport (often called ARDF), there
is (I think) an English book on the subject, and many web sites in Europe (and other places)
with projects, information, etc.  Joe's website should have links for that, as well as reports and
photos from various competitions.  There is a video available also.  I have a copy of a JARL
video titled, "Let's Enjoy ARDF", which is fairly self-evident in spite of the Japanese text.
(I normally turn off the sound and add my own narration.)

Otherwise I have some introductory materials that I often use when I do club presentations
that might be helpful for you.  Drop me an email and I'll see what I can do to help.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:35:45 PM »

Dale,

Thank you very much for the information you provided.  I'll study what you've provided and if I still have questions I'll contact you offline.

Thanks,
Stephen
N5VTU
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 08:10:10 AM »

The other book I mentioned is "Radio Orienteering:  The ARDF Handbook" by Bob Titterington G3ORY, David
Williams M3WDD, and David Deane G3ZOI, published by the RSGB.  ISBN 9781-9050-8627-6

This is specifically about the on-foot version of the sport rather than the mobile hunting. While mobile hunts
are more popular in the US, there is still ARDF activity, including annual National Championships, and our team
even managed to bring back some medals from the World ARDF Championships in Croatia last month.

But you'll find all of that covered on the HomingIn website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: