Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Not QSL worthy" he says  (Read 7428 times)
AE5PW

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »

During Field Day 2009, I had a QSO with a certain club station.  When you look on their QRZ.com page, they don't mention anything about QSL cards, but in the corner where the QSL card is usually displayed there's a nice picture of a naval ship with some text on it. After FD 2009, I sent a QSL card to this station, along with a SASE.  Fifteen months later, I am going through my QSL records and discover that I have never received a reply.

I send a nice email to the club trustee (as found on QRZ) and he replies and says he will sent it to the person who handles QSLs.

I then receive this gem:

(start)

Sir:

I am in receipt of your email to the ***** trustee regarding a contact during Field Day 2009.  I do not consider this a QSL worthy contact since very little information is exchanged and it is in the heat of competition.

Sincerely,

President of *****

(end)

I replied and told this person that if the QSL is not worthy, then he can feel free to use my SASE to return my card to me.  Perhaps I shouldn't have said that, but this remark came off to me as arrogant. 

As a relatively new HFer (since 2008), I have sent out about 1,000 cards to USA stations for contacts of varying lengths, many of which were contest QSOs.  Never has anyone sent me such a reply.  I have sent out many more (probably 2000 or so) QSL cards to DX stations, and the majority of those were contest contacts or were very short exchanges.

Am I missing something here?  Is it considered unacceptable to send a QSL card to a station for a contest QSO?

By the way, the reason I sent a card to this particular club was because I am collecting club station QSLs.

Your comments would be appreciated. 
W6VPS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »

Pomposity lives. It takes all kinds.....the same position could have been indicated in a more mature and courteous manner.  There are jerks every where and you just came across one.
Too bad you deleted the author's name.

Just chalk it up to being a bad experience. Not much else you can do.

Paul/W6VPS
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »

Key Words: "I do not consider this a QSL worthy contact. . .".

Now forward the nice email back to as many of the other club members as you can find. Chances are they don't know what their trustee is up to.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:03:16 AM »

The person who sent you that email has more problems than just bad manners.
Be thankful you don't have to deal with him on a daily basis, as this attitude spells disaster for those who don't fall within his very limited definition of being "worthy".
Naturally not being worthy implies something is worthless, at least in that individuals eyes.
His choice of words condemns him more than he probably realizes.
Our maker once said it is not what a man puts into his mouth which condemns him but that which comes out.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:47:34 AM »

A long time ago, right after people started realizing that there was more to the "Internet" than having a dialup AOL account (that was after TCP/IP but before broadband Smiley ), regarding emails,  many people realized that you should not put in an email something you wouldn't want your mother to read or seen printed on the front page of a newspaper.
We don't need to tell his mother, but it would sure be nice to know who the author is. It's time you made him/her famous !!

The envelope please......really.... who is this queen/king of ( QSL) denial?
VK4TJF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 02:54:47 AM »

yes it really is a bad that this has happened to you
most of the time the logs are checked and if you are
in the log then you get the card simple as that
I'm just glad that I got my qsl card from KH6BB
without any problems
however, they are not really a club so to speak
yes they have a radio room on the ship and they
have guest operators and usually a breakfast before
they operate. however that is about it. so i would not
say they are a club in the most strict sense. i guess either
work them again and/or move on to another club
work VK4IZ and I will give you a club qsl card
cheers mate
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:00:49 AM »

I know for me in my life when I run across an idiot like him who thinks that he knows everything, I just stay away from him, I don't talk to him and I just ignore him and I move on.People like him need to learn more about life and grow up a bit. If I were you I would just forget about his card and move on.
AE5PW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 04:46:31 AM »

By popular demand (about a dozen emails) as well as the requests here, I have decided to reveal who this club and person is, so that no one else will waste a buck of their money on a station who does not QSL.

Here's the info:

Callsign of the club is K8KRG
NORTHERN OHIO AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY
331 Courtland St
Elyria, OH 44035-3116
USA

The trustee is W8EU, who I have no problem with.  I sent an email to him, which he then forwarded over to W8KRF.

The email was from Carl F. Rimmer, W8KRF... here it is again in an non-redacted form.

(Start)
Sir:

I am in receipt of your email to the NOARS trustee regarding a contact during Field Day 2009.  I do not consider this a QSL worthy contact since very little information is exchanged and it is in the heat of competition.

Sincerely,

Carl F. Rimmer, W8KRF
President of NOARS

(End)

For your pleasure, here was my reply:

Carl,

Amazing.  I can't say that out of the literally thousands of QSL cards that I have sent out that anyone has told me that any contact is not a "QSL worthy contact."  Since that is the case, and this QSO is not worthy of a card, you can feel free to put my QSL card in the self-addressed stamped envelope that I sent and mail it back to me.

You may want to update your QRZ.com page so that no one else wastes postage on your club.

I've got to forward your email to some ham friends... I'm sure they will find this to be interesting, arrogant, and probably a few other words!

Thanks for the laugh!

Patrick
AE5PW

KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 04:48:44 AM »

In plain simple terms, the guy is an a-- hole
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 04:50:02 AM »

Just curious,
Was it an ARRL affiliated club. If the two minutes to fill out a card is such a burden, you provided the SASE and the reply suggests a lack of common courtesy. Other that is is more uncommon any more.

Tom Kb3hg
W8KRF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:40:39 AM »

To All Concerned:

I want to apologize to the entire amateur community for the pompous and knee jerk reaction to the request for a QSL for a FD contact.  I have no excuse for the reaction other than I am not aware of ever receiving a QSL from Patrick.  We have an absentee Trustee who has been out of contact with the club for years.  I did not even know we had QSL cards.  I will check into the matter.  You all have a right to respond the way you did.  I can not take back those words, but I can ask that you accept my apology. 

Sincerely,

Carl Rimmer, W8KRF
President, NOARS
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 05:46:25 AM »

If the contact was unworthy of a QSL card, then it was unworthy of being put in the station log. How can they claim a contact was made if they aren't willing to QSL it? If you received such treatment, then I imagine every contact they made during Field Day would get the same QSL request dismissal. I'd advise the ARRL that this "club" doesn't feel that contacts made during Field Day are worthy of QSL'ing, therefore none of their contacts should count towards their submitted score. But- that's just one man's opinion.

73, -WY3X

EDIT: Posted at the same time as the post above, was unaware of the apology being posted while I was typing.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:48:08 AM by Web Williams » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 06:12:49 AM »

I want to apologize.......

Sincerely,

Carl Rimmer, W8KRF
President, NOARS

Gentlemen and especially young pups, there's character.  It's something we don't see much of these days.  Carl, you must be old school.

W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 06:26:37 AM »

A gracious apology, if ever I've seen one.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 06:47:09 AM »

Odd.  I don't see the actual response as being as 'pompous' or discourteous as was originally stated.  And considering the typical exchange during any contest, there was little useful (and in some cases, truthful) information to confirm.  Unless there is some specific reason for a particular confirmation of the contact, why even ask for one?  And then there's the question of was the contact even logged?  Where is the log, does W8KRF have it?
I think this 'mole hill' is/was blown way out of proportion.
Paul

(Been on both sides of that sort of thingy.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: