Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital mode keying on the IC-7600  (Read 6843 times)
WA7DET

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »

There's got to be something that I'm missing. My computer connects to the IC-7600, using the built-in USB connector, without problem and both DigiPan and the HRD suite of programs decode PSK. Yet I'm unable to figure out how to get the computer to key the radio so I can send PSK. I've tried all the different settings for the PTT without any success. I can key the radio using the control programs (TRX-Manager and HRD) but the digital modes won't key it.

I have the same problem with my IC-7200 and have even tried the VOX mode. Do I need to also connect C-IV cable for keying?

I know the IC-7600 can decode and send PSK by itself but I'm use to using DigiPan and would like to continue doing so.
Any help will be appreciated.

Tom WA7DET / ZC4TS
PS - If I get it working I'll be on PSK as ZC4TS.
W9FXC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »

What mode do you have the rig in when attempting to transmit?  PSK, USB, USB-D1, etc.?

I have an IC-746Pro and use the data (6 pin) port.  I have noticed that I cannot key the rig for transmit when it is in the USB or LSB modes, but instead must use the USB-D or LSB-D modes.

You may need to have the rig in one of the data modes (D1,D2,D3) to key the rig with the USB cable.  I don't have an IC-7600 (I wish!), so this is just a guess.
WA7DET

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:09:38 PM »

The 7600 has a dedicated PSK / RTTY modes so there's no question I'm in the right mode. It will transmit fine if I use it's keyboard and encoder/decoder. The reason I don't want to use it's encoder is that it has fewer text memories. So there's a lot more active typing involved. The other programs are easier to use.

On the 7200 I followed the manual settings and even experimented with all the modes with no luck.

Thanks for the ideas.

Tom
W9FXC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 07:03:05 AM »

> The 7600 has a dedicated PSK / RTTY modes so there's
> no question I'm in the right mode. It will transmit
> fine if I use it's keyboard and encoder/decoder. The
> reason I don't want to use it's encoder is that it
> has fewer text memories. So there's a lot more
> active typing involved. The other programs are
> easier to use.

Ummm, so what mode are you using?  I seriously doubt the IC-7600 will allow you to transmit in PSK mode using anything other than an attached keyboard.  PSK mode operation is described on page 54 of the manual.

Since you are using an external program (on your computer) to send/receive PSK31, what you want is "Data Mode (AFSK) Operation" described on page 64 of the manual.  It describes how to put the rig into one of the data modes, such as USB-D1, USB-D2 or USB-D3.  This will allow you to use your computer to generate PSK31, Olivia, etc. signals and send them to your rig.

WA7DET

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 07:42:08 AM »

The first paragraph on page 54 states that if desired you can use PSK software and to check the software's manual for help. Since the 7600 is so new there's no help from the software manuals.

Looking on page 64 for the AFSK and the data modes isn't much help either. It talks about selecting the different data modes and to use the software to key the radio. In the set mode section it's explained how to select the USB port for the modulation but nothing is said about keying the radio.

I went through the same thing trying to use the IC-7200 without any success. I tried all the different modes and input selections but was never able to key the radio. The only thing I haven't tried on the 7600 is the VOX. It didn't work on the 7200 but I may get lucky with the 7600. I'll give it a try later.

Thanks for the help.
Tom
K7AR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:28:56 AM »

I'd be interested to see if you can get this to work.  There are only 2 ways to key the radio.  1) Hardware: Via the PTT line in the Mic connector and 2) Software: Via a CI-V command sent from an application like MMTTY, WinPSK or Digipan.  I've fiddled around with this but am not able to make it work on my 7600.

Also, keep in mind, in addition to PTT, you need to send RTTY Data for FSK mode.  So far I can't get that to work using the Icom pseudo serial port.

I am able to read the frequency from the radio, and decode receive audio fine however.

Al, K7AR
W1DYS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:42:29 AM »

So, I'm not the only one. I spent a frustrating evening trying to get PSK31 transmit to work over HRD and was rather relieved to trip across your post.

I have a straight USB connection from my 7600 to the PC (natch) and can receive PSK on HRD just fine. When I attempt to transmit from HRD, the 7600 transmit light goes on but there is no power going to the antenna. When I use the 7600 keyboard in PSK mode and hit F12, all works as expected. I've had the 7600 in both PSK mode and USB mode when trying to transmit from HRD - it makes no difference.

Interestingly, if the 7600 is in PSK mode and I hit the transmit button on the front panel, I see the same thing - xmit light on, but no power output. Apparently, external software needs to send F12 over the CI-V - and doesn't.

73's, Tony, w1dys
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »

May I suggest you Google Ham radio Deluxe go to their web pages and I feel sure that there will be someone who can help. Funny thing is lots of people have problems with HRD

G0GQK
LX1FX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 02:28:30 AM »

Have an IC7600 since 3 days and same problem appears using WSJT software and USB link PC-IC7600.
IC7600 is in USB-D1 mode, audio goes in/out but no PTT switching through selected COM port.
HRD works fine and toggles PTT but uses CIV via USB.
Probably either the software or the Tx needs a "patch" for making PTT work in digital modes...
Tnx fer any good idea
73, Andre LX1FX
W1DYS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »

OK, got it working, finally, thanks to Craig Fastenow on the IC-7600 yahoogroup.

First, the 7600 can NOT be in PSK mode. It must be in one of the SSB data modes. PSK mode is used only if you use the internal encoder/decoder with the keyboard plugged into the USB port of the 7600.

Tuned 14.070 set SSB to USB-D1 Went in to "SET" mode, then "ACC", scroll down to "DATA1 MOD", and set "USB" (pages 64 and 124 of the user manual). I can now PSK from HRD on the 7600. Kewl!

73s, Tony
LX1FX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 01:00:33 AM »

Hmm, these were the settings I used already and they don't work with WSJT software.... (using only Wsjt alone, no HRD).
Will check on the workgroup.
73 around
LX1FX   Andre
N4TCP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »

Did you ever get WSJT to key the ic-7600??

73, Ken N4TCP
K5YG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 08:45:17 AM »

My IC-7600 and IC-7200 are both working on Digital Modes.  The IC-7600 via its built in RTTY and PSK-31 and via a Rigblaster Pro, for  WSJT7.  I have not tried the IC-7600 USB Interface, but suspect it is the same as the IC-7200.

I am using the IC-7200 USB Interface for Ham Radio Deluxe and the digital modes work fine.

WSJT will not key the IC-7200 via the IC-7200 USB port!

The reason for this is that WSJT does not generate CAT Commands. WSJT outputs its PTT Command only to a Serial Port.

The only way that I can get WSJT to play with the IC-7200, (via the IC-7200 USB port) is to manually provide the PTT by pushing the microphone PTT button.

VOX does not work because the IC-7200 VOX circuit does not receive the Analog Audio coming from its USB Port D/A Converter. The input to the VOX is only via the Microphone Port.

Pushing the Mic PTT button every time WSJT transmits is a pain, but will work in a pinch. (I had a JT6M contact operating this way)

Better approach:

I am using a SignaLink USB compuer to IC-7200 interface unit.(www.tigertronics.com)The computer connects to the SignaLink USB via the computer USB Port.  The SignaLink USB connects to the IC-7200 via the 13-Pin ACC Connector. The SignaLink has a built in PTT Relay, which is activated by the incoming WSJT Transmit Audio.

Bill
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 09:07:31 AM »

So, I had my fun screwing around with this for an entire weekend also!!
I had to reinvent the wheel....had I done some research, I might have found
that it ain't gonna work!
It seems more advanced programs...where you select the radio model, can control the
radio completely..using CIV commands. (HRD, Commcat, most logging programs).
But, if you want to work WSJT or JT-65hf or many cw encoder programs, that rely on using
a com port....it won't work!   The program cannot key the radio.
So, you will have to go back to external box junk that connect to the rigs acc port for (at least) switching.
CRAP!!!   I thought the new wizz-bang USB interface would bury that external junk once and for all!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: