Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB <-> Parallel  (Read 424 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:25:34 AM »

Anyone using a USB to parallel port adapter with Ham Radio Deluxe or other software that can use the parallel port for switching station accessories?

I'm curious if someone has found one that works in this application, because I expect that many (most?) don't...

As per

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html#usbnotes

"USB parallel ports are generally targeted for driving normal printers, and not designed for anything else. When using a HP Officejet or other multifunction product, this USB to parallel port adapters will only allow access of the printer capability. It will not work with the faxing and scanning capabilities of the multifunction product. And it will either work for the direct output pin controlling described in this document. "

I've built an auto antenna switch that gets information from Ham Radio Deluxe via the parallel port, but I think it's probably the case that the next computer here won't have a parallel port at all, plus it would be more convenient if I could have one USB hub in a conveniently tucked away location that would handle the CAT interfaces for my two radios and the parallel port for the switch.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: