Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 36 anp 13.8 volt reg. supply cheap  (Read 1852 times)
K2OWK

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »

I have a question about a power supply. It is on EBay listed by Electronics 5000. He has 100% good feedback. The supply is listed as a 13.8 volt DC regulated power supply at 36 amps. It operates from 110 or 220 VAC. It is listed at $65.00 + $5.00 shipping. It is the least expensive supply I have seen with this power capability. It would power just about any Ham transceiver, which is what I would use it for. Has anyone out there bought and used this supply, and could tell me if it is worth the price?

Thanks,
73s
Barry
K2OWK
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »

hi Barry,

http://myworld.ebay.com/electronics_5000

I have not used this brand of ps.

keep an active search for Lambda Ultra and
Lambda Alpha in your ebay search tool.

you can find these high quality Lambda brand
supplies used at reasonable price.
these are high quality switching supplies that
went for $400 and up when new.

73 james
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »

I've never used it, and never heard of this brand "Mega Watt."  Neither has U.L., evidently.

The reservation I might have is that everything they state about it lists its application as a battery charger; as such, it may have no RFI filtering at all and might create a lot of noise when used near a receiver.

But that's just speculation; I've never used one.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »

I believe it's made by a Chinese company called Mulview Technology.  Here's the link to their spec sheet for this power supply:  http://www.mtlcctv.com/en/s-400w%20switch%20power%20supply.pdf

The weight is listed at 1.2Kgs which is around 2.5lbs.  That's a lot of supply for it's weight. I'd be concerned about it's ability to supress any hash that's generated by a switching supply.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I went to the website listed in China. The specifications look as good as any switching supply I have seen that is listed at many times the price. It indicates 12v, 33 amps with a noise of 180mv p-p. This is the S-400 which is listed as a fully regulated power supply not a battery charger. The seller electronics_5000 includes in his description that it is very low noise when used with radios. I have bought Chinese manufactured test equipment and it has worked as specified. As far as being made in china isn't everything except maybe MFJ equipment which is made in USA. I have one of there antenna tuners, first class equipment. I guess at the price of that supply if it does not work as a transceiver power supply. I could use it as a high current battery charger. I like the idea of buying a HP or one of the commercial power supplies used as test equipment except if you find one in good condition it is very expensive and very heavy by today's standards. I am still not sure what I will do I will have to make up my mind when the time comes.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »

The old HP lab/bench supplies are heavy because they're linear, not switch mode.

The newer switch mode supplies are very light but of course also newer and will generally cost more.

The Samlex SEC-1235 is a 13.8V, 30A well-filtered, RFI-suppressed power supply used by lots of hams.  It rates very highly on the "good to use around sensitive receivers" chart, and these are well-made with a great warranty by a very solid company.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/productdescription.asp?ProductsID=36020

I've seen them for $119 brand new.  They also have the SEC-1235M which has meters (voltage and current) and is $140 right now at Universal Radio.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: