Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Precautions when using computer and generator?  (Read 1366 times)
KU4UV

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »

I am planning on using my desktop computer next weekend for Field Day.  I have ordered a used laptop computer off of eBay, and unless I can get one that actually works, it looks like I will be using my desktop.  I will primarily be using the desktop for logging functions, but it will also serve as a voice keyer through a free voice keyer program that I downloaded.  I have a soundcard interface that I plan to use to connect the computer to the trasceiver.  My question is about protecting my computer while it hooked to the generator and the transceiver.  I plan on using one of the portable Honda inverter type generators, such as the 1,000 or 2,000 Watt model.  Are there any precations I should take regarding voltage spikes, etc.  I have heard that it is a good idea to always place a 100 watt lightbulb in line with a computer to ease out the ripple, but shouldn't I be fine with a inverter type generator.  I would never even thinkm of hooking a modern computer to a construction type generator that is used for power equipment.  Any precautions I should consider?  Thanks!

Michael KU4UV
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »

You should be fine with an Inverter type generator. I would never put a light bulb in series with the load. That would pretty much ensure that the computer is operating at low voltage which varies greatly with load current.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »

hi,

try to borrow a small APC smartups
or equal quality ups to use after the generator.

should you run out of gas, you can operate
your pc while you refuel the generator.

we've used the Honda inverter generators a few
times and never had any trouble or problems,
same with my non-inverter generac unit.

73 james
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »

Thanks guys!
ALCO141

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:57:09 PM »

i have had a couple of different generators including a pto driven tractor unit, i would always use a UPS to isolate the computer, the advice given here is spot on.  

alex
KC9PWT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: