Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accusation Of Cable Or Satellite Theft  (Read 1322 times)
WD4MTW

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »

Back in the early 90's, I seen a guy poking around the perimeter our old house with a clipboard. When I approached him, he informed me that he had identified cable theft. I asked him to show me and he points out the run of 9913 from a UHF yagi that entered into our kitchen to the GRMS control station. Clearly, this guy was clueless as there was both a run of RG-59 from the TV antenna and another run of 9913 from the discone that were both on the same roof mounted mast entering the house. I walked the guy over to the corner of our property and pointed out the cable breakout suspended over the easement next door and asked him if he seen any cable leading to our property. He just shook his head and left. Sure enough, we received an amnesty letter that was common at the time. Fortunately, cable was still a locally owned  operation back then and a simple telephone call took care of the problem with the visit of a supervisor and apologies. While I question the training or experience the employees had, it wasn't uncommon.

Today, it's scary to think about the same situation with the cable and direct broadcast industry where you're as good as guilty without any due process or means of local appeal and pursued aggressively with a settlement demand or threatened with a lawsuit by their legal team.
I haven't seen any mention of this on the forums and wonder if anyone has come under the radar from a mistaken accusation of theft.
WB6RXG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:00:18 PM »

Back in the 70's I was helping my Dad install a new TV Antenna on our house.  During the aiming process he was inside the house watching the picture and I was rotating the mast.  I stopped when he said we were aimed for the best picture.  I looked up and saw that the antenna was pointed directly at the cable drop box rather than at the transmitter site which was 180 degress away.  I called the cable company to tell them they had a major RF leak at the pole.  Right off the bat they accused us of stealing cable programming.  I quickly pointed out that if I was getting enough signal for a city grade picture from 60 feet away that they were in violation of FCC regulations.  They responded by quickly fixing the problem at the drop box and not pressing the cable theft charges.

To top it off my RFI problems practically went away.

Stuart
WB6RXG
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:48:10 PM »

been there.. and done that.

Where I lived in michigan, the local cable company sent a couple of guys out to cut any coax going into any houses that weren't cable subscribers..

well, after whacking several peoples cables for their sattelite dishes.. he comes over and figures the run of RG58 and (uh nuts, I forgot what it was.. RG6 maybe? real thick, unflexible stuff) looked suspicious and cut them too. 

After I called the cable company and pointed out that they owed me two runs of coax, 4 new connectors, and possibly a new transmitter (I had packet running at the time)  they weren't too excited to pay me what I asked for.. I the politely pointed out that they could pay me just the replacement costs of the equipment, or I could file charges against them for vandlism and/or destruction of private property.. they decided buying me some new coax was a better idea..

what was even funnier, is that the guy DID cut the coax cableco feed into my house.. .even tho about 18" from where he cut it.. it was already cut. LOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: