donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ft102  (Read 2630 times)
GW3RVG

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:26:57 PM »

i have purchased a ft102 in very good condition. however the serial number do not make sense it is 060045 there is no year or month with it .  06 is batch 6 ?
would it be a preproduction model ?
it does not work on cw, is there any known faults for this. every thing seem to work IE vox side tone etc but no output.

regards
don gw3rvg
N0OKS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »

You might take a look at www.foxtango.com

Mark, NØOKS
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:18:50 AM »

As I understand it, a serial number starting 06 means batch 06.

If there's no CW tx, look at the oscillator for the CW carrier. I had a problem with the oscillator starting slowly, so that what came out was 'RQ CQ CQ'. I reduced the resistor in the source of the FET to increase the current and push the transconductance up, and it's been working fine for the last 25 years.

The usual FT102 problem is the relays getting dirty contacts. There is an easy answer to that, rather than replacement: it involves a capacitor, a few resistors and couple of small RF Chokes. Let me know if you need details.

One problem on 80m is a receive spurious response. A strong signal on 3500 will punch through and will just get weaker as you tune up the band. It's not so bad on 40, but it can be real pain when DXing at the low end of 80. Fixing it is possible, but requires being willing to make some major changes around the mixer which mixes the VFO with 6 MHz to drive the counter.

I really like the '102 and have no plans to replace it. It's worked fine for me and I've worked a lot of DX with it (one country needed for #1 Honor Roll): it has the advantage that it's repairable, and even if the display (made of unobtainium other than from a parts rig) goes belly up, you can cobble something together with 7 segment displays and a new counter.
GW3RVG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »

THANK YOU BOTH FOR THE INFO.  I HAVE DOWN LOADED MOST OF THE INFO ON FOXTANGO BUT IT DOES NOT ANSWER THE SERIAL NUMBER PROBLEM IE THERE IS NO YEAR OR MONTH?
73 DON GW3RVG
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »

S/N's here on this side of the pond very rarely have the date unencoded as part of the number.  Often the scheme used differs from mfr to mfr as well.  You might make a post over there and ask about your number as someone may have compiled a listing of known serial numbers along with date of purchase or the like. 

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:47:08 PM »

And please turn off you caps key when posting, there's no need to shout, 'k? 

thanks

K7ZRZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »

And please turn off you caps key when posting, there's no need to shout, 'k?  

thanks

Guess you never worked RTTY.

Don,  I had an incident with my FT-102 (not in use just at the present time - replaced with an FT-980 - and subsequently the bandswitch/rf cage assembly had a major problem which is being fixed currently) in which I could not generate a carrier to tune with. I wrote Mal Eisleman (the 102 guru) and was instructed in a remedy.  It involves a small trimmer capacitor which seems to get whacked out and is fixed by rotating it several times both ways.  I did that, and the thing came back to life. I'm not convinced that it was that capacitor "exercise" that fixed it - just getting into the inside disturbed lots of innards.  But maybe...

I'll try to find the email exchange for you and post the relevant bits here.

Brian K7ZRZ

(EDIT)  Here is the text of the email exchange about that.  http://bingoldsby.com/FT-102_carrier.txt
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:00:10 PM by Brian J. Ingoldsby » Logged

Brian K7ZRZ
K7ZRZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »

Don,

Sorry about the link and the text file formatting (lack of word wrap). I guess .txt is a bad way to deliver the writings. But I'm sure you can figure out the message.

Brian

Brian K7ZRZ
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:56:24 PM »

Worked my share of RTTY, but this is not RTTY...
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:41:46 PM »

Suggest you consider joining this list.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT102/join?yguid=407514968&finish=sub
GW3RVG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »

sorry about the caps key i forgot it was on Cheesy
k7zrz my email is donaldsedgebeer@talktalk.net. any advice is helpfull, i tried to email mal but it bounced, finger trouble again?  Angry
73 don
KC8RPD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 10:12:22 PM »

Don,  I had an incident with my FT-102 (not in use just at the present time - replaced with an FT-980 - and subsequently the bandswitch/rf cage assembly had a major problem which is being fixed currently) in which I could not generate a carrier to tune with. I wrote Mal Eisleman (the 102 guru) and was instructed in a remedy.  It involves a small trimmer capacitor which seems to get whacked out and is fixed by rotating it several times both ways.  I did that, and the thing came back to life. I'm not convinced that it was that capacitor "exercise" that fixed it - just getting into the inside disturbed lots of innards.  But maybe...

I'll try to find the email exchange for you and post the relevant bits here.

Brian K7ZRZ

(EDIT)  Here is the text of the email exchange about that.  http://bingoldsby.com/FT-102_carrier.txt

[/quote]

Is Mal still working on 102's?  I had him work his magic on mine a few years ago, and have thought about having him fine tune it.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:45:32 AM »

I've seen literally hundreds of cases on my test bench where the contacts inside a trimmer capacitor corroded or got dirty or the likes and a simple rotation of the thing through its full range a few times mechanically cleaned those contacts and established good connection again. 

I've made it a point to go ahead and replace those trimmers when found whenever possible, but that is because I don't like recalls from customers.  In my own stuff, I'd say the rotational cleaning has worked the greater majority of the time, necessitating actual replacement of the cap only a scant few times. 

The same thing can happen with the large "tuning" open plate capacitors found in older receivers of all types.  Static noise when turning the big knob is sometimes a clue.  For those I like a wee drop of Deoxit 100% applied very sparingly to each one of the spring loaded brush contactors for each section and at both extreme ends of the multiple section ganged capacitor, then immediately rotate the knob back and forth thru full travel several times to mechanically clean the contacts as well.  Deoxit 100% leaves a nice protectant lube on them.  Don't spray the regular deoxit willy nilly at the open cap, it is likely to just detune it more than help things. 

Yes, merely rotating the nonoperative trimmer capacitor can indeed effect a cure for the problem.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: