Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet connection problem with XP  (Read 527 times)
G0GQK

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »

I have a dual system computer, Vista and XP with a wi-fi connection to the internet. The connection using Vista works OK, the problem is with XP where the wi-fi card is in conflict with XP.

The icon in the tray indicates there is no connection. I go to Start, then Run and type "services.msc" then click OK. A page appears and I go to the bottom of the list and find wireless zero configuration, and where the status should indicate "started", there is a blank space.

I highlight it to show "started" and then have to go to the Ralink icon, click on the "Use Zero Configuration Utility " The wireless icon will then show a connection and I can then connect to Google.

My question is "How do I prevent the wireless configuration changing from enabled "started" to disabled, producing a blank space each time the computer power is turned off. I need it so that I can click on the internet Explorer icon and get connected in the normal way.

Your expert help appreciated, kind regards,  Mel G0GQK
KJ4NGS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »

Run services.msc.

Right mouse click on Wireless Zero Config.

Select Properties from the menu that pops up.

Ensure "Startup Type" is set to "Automatic".

That should do it.
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »

Thankyou kind Sir, I'll try that.

Mel G0GQK
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:33:04 AM »

Good morning Charles,

I tried your suggestion, but without succes.

In wireless zero configuration, a right click into Properties
Startup is set at     Automatic
service status is     stopped

I clicked the START button 3 times but it starts, then cuts off.

I looked at all the other tabs in Properties eg Log on/recovery and dependencies but it is beyond my capabilities to make a sensible decision as to what the procedure would be. I do have a choice on the second failure of (1) Take no action (2) Restart
(3) Run a program (4) restart computer

Perhaps it will be impossible to cure this problem because its a bad design, maybe because its made in China !

Kind regards,  Mel G0GQK
KJ4NGS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 08:23:08 PM »

Hmmm ... is there any chance that your wireless device is disabled?

Control Panel -> Network Connections, you should see your wifi device listed.  Is it enabled, disabled, connected, Huh

Sometimes the wireless device comes with its own software that interferes with zero config.  There's usually a setting somewhere that says "Let windows manage the device" or similar.

Hard to say what, but I can tell you from experience that wireless problems are never easy to solve, so don't give up!
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »

Hello Charles,

Off the top of my head I think it is disabled. I can well believe your comment about these problems being difficult to solve, and my computer is now playing games with me.

I sat in the shack browsing yesterday, switched off the PC, switched on the PC this morning and the wi-fi, Ralink and another icon were missing from the tray. Luckily with XP I can do a system restore and went back two days, and the icons were not there either, so back another two days and there they were. So where did they go ? Dunno !

I'll try what you suggest. I'm not too bothered about having to do all those odd things to get connected, but I'm not happy with the fun and games !

kind regards, Mel G0GQK
KF5BTI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:14:18 AM »

I think I have a solution for you.  I have a couple el'cheapo wifi cards that I use in my childrens computers that are also run the ralink software.  By default the ralink software takes control of your wireless card.  It installs itself and places a shortcut in your Start Menu - Startup folder.  When this program runs it will disable Zero Config in your services.  To simply either click in your taskbar on Ralink and configure your wireless settings or do like I did and delete the Ralink shortcut from the startup folder enabling Windows to regain control.  (14 years repairing computers for UPS)

Michael
KF5BTI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: