Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DV dongle static IP address?  (Read 2998 times)
N1VQM

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »

I am in the fortunate situation that my wife and I are both ham. We have been using echolink from our computers when not on the air. Problem is that from a home network with only on IP address either her or my computer can log on to echolink but not both.

I have been thinking about d star but can't figure out if d star connections with the dv dongle or dv access point require a static IP address similar to echolink? That would then also prohibit from having two dv dongle running in one network? Anybody know? Is using the dv dongle the same painful stet up as echolink with port forwarding, setting ip addresses ? If not that would be an advantage. If the dv dongle also relies on having a static ip address forwarded through the router then I see not much benefit in the whole thing.

Separately I still wish that echolink would finally find a different way of identifying and linking users without the reliance on ip addresses being port forwarded. I know many hams that just never got it to work and therefore gave up on echolink!
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:42 AM »

I don't have the Dongle, but I do have the Access Point.  You do not need a static IP address. 
N1VQM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 03:02:01 PM »

Thanks. So that means that there are none of the firewall issues common with Echolink. Still deciding if the cost of it is worth it to start D Star.
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:55:19 PM »

I just got going on D-Star within the last week.  ID-880h for the car, and IC-80AD handheld.  I am on the fringe of the Kansas City D-Star repeater, so I bought a DVAP access point dongle.  I set it up on an old Dell computer, Comodo antivirus and Firewall running, with a LinkSys wireless router/cable modem/hardware firewall, no static IP address.  No problems setting it up.  Took all of 5 minutes.  Works like a champ, and I can access it with the HT up to two houses down the street.  To me, the big plus for D-Star is that there are actually people using the system, and you can scare up a QSO pretty easily.  Might be to Scotland, who knows?  The reflectors seem to link to repeaters all over the US and many countries.  The DV Dongle is made by the same group, and looks to be basically the same thing, less the low power 2 meter radio portion.  I see no reason why it wouldn't come up and running just as easily.

73 - John - WB0KSL
N1VQM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 03:46:08 PM »

Excellent. Good feedback. I like the idea of also getting some D Star radios. Sounds like a pretty active community. The DVAP sounds like a great idea. I have the same problem in Houston. I doubt I will hit the only D star repeater which is about 40M away from me in downtown Houston.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: