Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protecting coax from lawnmower blades  (Read 3271 times)
AG4DG

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:32:49 AM »

What do most of you use to protect your coax cable from lawnmower blades?  I know that burying coax is one popular option, but that requires that the ground not be frozen and prevents you from moving the coax if you change your mind later.

In the past, I have used PVC pipes.  What other types of tubing do you use that are cheaper?

Or is it better to just suspend the coax a few inches or a few feet in the air, safely above lawnmower blades?
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:56:13 AM »

I cut the grass short and lay down the coax. Plastic lawn staples from DX Engineering help hold it flat to the ground. After allowing the grass to grow longer I only cut the grass at maximum lawn mower height and the coax is safe.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:01:55 AM »

1) Mow a path where the coax will go by cutting the grass as short as possible. Scalp the lawn.

2) Raise the mower cutting height up to 3" or so and plan to leave it there.

3) Lay down the coax, doing your best to minimize bumps and wiggles. You want it reasonably flat against the sod.

4) Within a month or two during the growing season the coax will disappear under the turf. Care for the lawn as usual.

In my part of the world this works fine, assuming a low traffic area with no digging or sharp wheels rolling over the coax. Good (Bermuda grass) lawn care involves cutting short in the spring and mowing progressively higher during the summer. I max out around 3.5" in August. Mowing short in the spring opens the turf to sunlight so the ground warms faster while harassing the cool-weather weeds. Mowing high during the hottest part of the year shades the soil to conserve water and reduces mowing stress. One of the worst things you can do to a lawn is cut it short when it's struggling against heat & dry weather... Cut it high and let the clippings compost into the turf.

Aside from not being able to cut short in the spring, mowing high protects the coax and is good hot-weather lawn care. As for protecting the coax... I keep my mower blades reasonably sharp and there is nothing short of iron pipe that would guarantee no harm to the coax inside. Given the tradeoff on a worse case scenario, I think I'd rather sacrifice a modest coax run than bend a crankshaft on a mower. Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:40:01 AM »

Very simple!  Keep the lawn mower away from the coax.  I do this by running my coax around the edge of my fence, and by cutting my own grass.

Chuck  NI0C
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »

Bury it. Not a big deal. Use Direct Bury rated RG-213. You don't have to bury it deep. Do it just like you would a buried radial. Just cut a slit in the ground with a shovel or something and tuck the cable in there, then walk over the slit to pack it back together. You can bury 50 feet of coax like this in less than 30 minutes. And it's safe then.  If you ever need to pull it up, it will come right out - unless you do it too close to a tree for a long time then you might have to cut some roots to get cable out.

If you don't want to bury it, then just provide for some way to disconnect it before it goes into the house, then whenever you need to mow, roll it up and put it out of the way. Not a big deal.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »

Very simple!  Keep the lawn mower away from the coax.  I do this by running my coax around the edge of my fence, and by cutting my own grass.

Chuck  NI0C

that was going to be my response.. "Don't run over the coax" :>
AG4DG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »

I'm amazed.  Am I the only person in the history of the world who has run coax and other cables through tubing (like PVC pipe) in order to protect it from the lawnmower?

What about my other idea of suspending the coax at least a few inches above the ground?  Has anyone done this?  Or am I the only person in the history of the world to think of this as well?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »

I'm amazed.  Am I the only person in the history of the world who has run coax and other cables through tubing (like PVC pipe) in order to protect it from the lawnmower?

Could be... But I have a hunch that when you try to thread 50' or more of RG-213 through a PVC pipe you'll start thinking of ways to avoid threading 50' or more of RG-213 through a PVC pipe. It's like pushing rope. And sometimes the tampon-on-a-really-long-string-with-a-vacuum-cleaner-trick doesn't exactly work.

What about my other idea of suspending the coax at least a few inches above the ground?  Has anyone done this?  Or am I the only person in the history of the world to think of this as well?

If you can mow under it or enjoy running the weedwhacker, no prob. Unless it's in a place you'll trip over it or have to lift the mower to the other side of the yard every week. I try to keep my yard such that it can be mowed by a moron who's not paying attention and hates mowing 'cuz that's about how it works............................  Shocked

Never change a password on a Friday                
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »

I've heard of people running it through buried PVC, and I have some PVC embedded in my concrete patio that I run coax through so that it's not lying on top of the patio, but I've never heard of anyone laying PVC on the ground to run coax through. You're going to have to mow around the PVC, then. Doesn't make any sense to me - always strive to make your yard work easier, not harder!

I think I heard stories about an old-timer who tried that - suspending his feedline a few inches of the ground - but his wife tripped over it and his kids and dog tripped over it,  and then one day HE tripped over it and when he fell, impaled himself on a peice of PVC.
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »

I had coax suspended 8 feet off the ground from a tower to the house. I had lightning hit the tower, and instead of going through the ground rod at the base of the tower, it followed the coax and scorched the wall of the house. I was lucky the house did not burn down...
I do not recommend doing this.
I now bury my coax.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 06:41:34 PM »

I'm amazed.  Am I the only person in the history of the world who has run coax and other cables through tubing (like PVC pipe) in order to protect it from the lawnmower?...

Most of the RG-6 that I have running along fences that feed my Beverage antennas are not in conduit.

But that's what I did to protect the RG-6 feeding my inverted-L, since it runs across a grassy field several hundred feet from the house. It's in 1/2" indoor/outdoor plastic conduit, which lays on the surface of the ground. What's wrong with that?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:43:52 PM by Mike Waters » Logged

AG4DG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 09:30:59 PM »

I've heard of people running it through buried PVC, and I have some PVC embedded in my concrete patio that I run coax through so that it's not lying on top of the patio, but I've never heard of anyone laying PVC on the ground to run coax through. You're going to have to mow around the PVC, then. Doesn't make any sense to me - always strive to make your yard work easier, not harder!
Mowing around PVC pipe is easier than mowing around coax cables.  The PVC pipe is much more visible, and it's OK if it gets nicked a little bit by the weed-whacker.
AG4DG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »

Most of the RG-6 that I have running along fences that feed my Beverage antennas are not in conduit.

But that's what I did to protect the RG-6 feeding my inverted-L, since it runs across a grassy field several hundred feet from the house. It's in 1/2" indoor/outdoor plastic conduit, which lays on the surface of the ground. What's wrong with that?
How cheap is the 1/2" plastic conduit, and where do you buy it?
KC8RPD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 09:53:21 PM »

Rather than bury directly, I put the coax in ENT partially buried-it ended up level with the lawn.  No more difficult than making a slit  for direct burial.
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 04:09:01 AM »

Coax is much like your hand, your foot, or your garden hose with regards to lawnmower blades. Not intended to -- and will be harmed by -- contact. Best if you don't allow them to be in the same place at the same time.

Perhaps a section in the book you memorized (Vs actually having either knowledge or at minimum common sense) to get your "extra" that tells you to either remove the coax while mowing the lawn; or bury it (proper type for that use); or route it so it's not laying on the lawn.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: