Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: two sound cards with Windows XP SP3?  (Read 3967 times)
KC8OYE

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:16:47 PM »

Has anyone ever tried to run two soundcards with Windows XP? (I'm using XP Pro, SP3)

I turned off my 'onboard' sound a long time ago because NOTHING supported it's 3d capabilities, and replaced it with an SB Audigy (EAX-3)
anyway.. I was considering maybe turning the onboard sound card back on and using it for some digital stuff..

which brings me to the next question.. are there any good software TNC's out there?  I've got a good app for SSTV, but are there any aps that can do packet?  when I moved, I didn't have room to bring my ham gear..so my AEA PK232 is packed away in storage at the minute Sad
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:42:09 PM »

I found the software... but I've run into a little bit bigger problem..

my computer has no RS-232 nor LPT ports.. just 7 USB ports (Dell Dimension 9100)

and I have no more PCI slots to add RS-232 or LPT ports...

edit: found what I was looking for... RadioShack to the rescue.. of all places...

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:48:44 PM by Timothy A. Knights » Logged
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:10:39 AM »

Windows XP should be able to run multiple sound cards ok.
The USB signalink interface for example is just a USB soundcard with a P.T.T. interface.
I have used this on both winXP and Win7 without a problem.
On the serial port problem - very common these days with laptops - I just use a prolific based chipset USB to serial "dongle" cable.
There seems to some problems with some of these USB-serial cables that they may not support various software, so look up forums for current information on which ones hams have found work ok.
As regards digital software, its mainly soundcard based these days.
I don't do packet so can't help you there, but think some of the "older" packages do packet.
Apart from packet, for general purpose digital modes try Ham radio deluxe/DM780 which does most modes and SSTV as well. Multipsk also does most modes but needs a registration fee to unlock all its functionality - although the free mode is pretty good.
If you are just starting, and don't want all the features of ham radio deluxe, I would suggest FLdigi - a great free program and supports most digital modes.

Welcome to digital modes, you will have a lot of fun.
73s
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:38:06 PM »

Has anyone ever tried to run two soundcards with Windows XP? (I'm using XP Pro, SP3)

Yes. Running two soundcards is the recommended configuration for digital mode operation with soundcard software; with only one soundcard there is the risk of "Windows noises" being transmitted over the air.

For example: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/winwarbler/Help/ConfiguringMultipleSoundcards.htm

Dave, AA6YQ
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »

alright cool.. My motherboard has a built-in sound card, with FRONT-Facing mic and speaker jacks which will be nice for ham stuff Smiley

then I can leave my good SB Audigy 3d sound card alone for the rest of multi-media stuff :>
K2QPN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:08:37 PM »

I am running WinXP SP3. I have used 2 sound cards for years. One card is the windows default sound card and I use it to listen to the FM radio and Echolink. The other (non-default) sound card is used for PSK and RTTY. I have used the onboard sound card plus a PCI sound blaster. Presently, I am using a USB sound card as the default and the onboard sound card for digital modes. When you adjust the input or output sound card levels thru the digital software you have to manually select the second sound card. The default card is automatically selected. My interface has input/output volume controls - saves a lot of clicking.

Have fun - 73, Bob K2QPN
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »

alright cool.. My motherboard has a built-in sound card, with FRONT-Facing mic and speaker jacks which will be nice for ham stuff Smiley

then I can leave my good SB Audigy 3d sound card alone for the rest of multi-media stuff :>

Which radio do you have?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: