Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Deluxe and Vista 64 bit OS  (Read 2154 times)
W3IL

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2008, 06:45:40 AM »

Is anyone using Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) with the Vista 64 bit operating system? If so, have there been any problems with the program or the USB to serial cable drivers used to connect your radio to the computer

Which USB to Serial cables/drivers are you using? I have heard that the drivers for the Radio Shack USB to Serial cables may not function under the 64 bit operating system.

Appreciate any replies that will shed light on this issue.

regards
Bill
W3IL
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:29:37 PM »

I'm sure you've seen those Apple ads that make fun of the lousy Vista operating system.

The best solution would be to go back to Win XP. If you can't then you may find that a driver or setting that works today may not work the next time you try to use the program. Or, some other program or peripheral may no longer work. You're going to be chasing your tail endlessly.

N1HMT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:45:09 PM »

No problems here with Vista 64 Bit and HRD just make sure your USB to serial devices have the 64 bit drivers. You might want to look for a device that uses the FTDI chip...drivers here. http://www.serialgear.com/ftdi-chip-drivers.cfm

I have 2 of these and they work great.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »

"You're going to be chasing your tail endlessly."

Well...my dog seems to enjoy it!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »

Bill,

For what it's worth, it's probably going to be more effective to go to the Ham Radio Deluxe support forums with your questions.

http://forums.ham-radio.ch/

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KB1RNV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »

The problem with older drivers on the 64 bit OS is they are required in Vista to be 'signed'
There are workarounds that usually will work, just search on "unsigned driver in Vista" and you will come across many potential fixes. There are some drivers that simply just won't go- but that is the fault of the peripheral company, not a fault of Vista for requiring it.
Just because Mac commercials say that Vista has 'problems' doesn't make it true.
I went around and around with a Magellan GPS and 64 bit Vista, but what it taught me is that Megellan needs to step up and support newer OS's... not that Vista is evil.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:29:33 PM »

The same thing is happening with the transition from XP to Vista that happened with Windows98 to XP. It takes mfgs a while to develop new drivers. If everything had to remain backward compatible then we'd be stuck in the past with no way forward.
N5BXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 08:45:17 AM »

I have been running it for several weeks on 64 bit Vista. The new system is a Intel 2.5 ghz Quad processor, and 8 gb ram. HRD and DM 780 use 2% processor. I use a IOgear usb adapter, and downloaded the 64 bit Vista driver from the Iogear site.

It works so much better with HRD than the 2.2 GHZ , 2gb ram mono processor system it replaced.
WA7NDD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:29:26 PM »

Buy the CT 62 cable on ebay from Affordable Radio then download their Vista 64 driver for the cable. Worked first time on my new HP dv9933nr running Vista 64 running my FT 817. Planing on using it on my FT 897D also.
Jim WA7NDD
KR4EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »

I was testing HRD 5 on Vista 64 and it works fine. But version 5 is still buggy. The Radio Shack USB to Serial cable also works fine on Vista 64. I have used it to control my radio (Yaesu FT-950) and upgrade to firmware on the radio. So yes it works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: