Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of "R&L Electronics"  (Read 13889 times)
K4RYR

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »

Beware of doing any business with this amateur radio equipment supplier!!!  On 9/02/10 I purchased an MFJ994B "DEMO" autotuner from them.  Upon receiving the unit and unpacking it I immediately noticed that the PC board was not aligned properly with the access hole in the back of the chassis.  Upon further inspection I noticed that all 7 or the 4-40 screws that hold the pc board in the chassis were missing and the board was just being held in by the SO239 connectors.  I installed the 4-40 screws and this aligned the pc board properly........however...guess what!!!  The unit did not work and was defective!!  Upon notifying R&L I was told to return the unit for full credit.  So I shipped it back on my nickel and requested a full refund of the purchase price plus the round trip shipping.  After several days of not hearing from R&L after they had received the unit back and sending them several email's asking the status of the refund with "NO" response I called to find out what was going on.  I had the misfortune of talking with "Roger" (I guess he is the "R" in R&L) and he quickly started talking over me and telling me that he doubted that the shipment went out the way I was claiming and that the cost of shipping it back was on me.  He refused to believe that anyone at R&L would ship out something in this condition and that they are basically perfect in all ways that I must be a liar!  So my fellow hams...take it for what it's worth....don't buy from these clowns unless you plan on never trying to return the item since they "NEVER" make mistakes....don't have to believe me....call Roger and ask him...he will tell you how perfect he and his company is and never make any mistakes!!!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »

I had the misfortune of talking with "Roger" (I guess he is the "R" in R&L)

Roger is N8EKG and this should probably be in the "Company Reviews" section, where it's more relevant. Wink

BTW in reading your story I wouldn't be too surprised if the tuner was like that from the "factory."  MFJ does have a reputation of often shipping "semi-kits," where the end user does the final assembly, as you had to! Tongue
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »

I've had several dealings with R&L and all was pleasant.  I second the Semi-Kits from MFJ though.  I bought 2 tuners in 1994 and 1996 and both time I had to do major resoldering jobs and re-installing screws and standoffs.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:24:39 AM »

I agree that this belongs on another forum, but....

From your description, you have two issues here.

First, the "Quality Control" issue is with MFJ, not R&L.  R&L does not open, inspect and test each and every item they ship.  And, MFJ has these items built in China, or Taiwan or the moon somewhere and I'll bet they come boxed, ready for shipment and sale.  I doubt that MFJ opens and inspects every one.

Second, there is the "Quality of Service" issue with R&L.  Customer satisfaction should be their #1 priority and based on your description, they failed in this effort.  I and many of my friends have had years of good dealings with R&L and I don't think one incident will change my mind.

...bc    nr4c
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:20:56 AM »

And, MFJ has these items built in China, or Taiwan or the moon somewhere and I'll bet they come boxed, ready for shipment and sale. 

I don't think so.  AFAIK all the assembly is done right there in Starksville, Mississippi.

When I visited the MFJ plant they had lots of people assembling these antenna tuners -- they even make their own coils and capacitors, fabricate their chassis, their own PC boards...very vertically-integrated plant.  Final assembly (nutting and bolting stuff together) was all there, too.

There are quality control problems, though.  We seem to deal with that in order to get relatively inexpensive products that mostly work. Wink
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »

did you try mailing the unit to mfj? and haveing them fix it ? may be worth a shot . Seems like r and L should have done that in the first place . They should have gotten  on mfj case , since they seem to have a hit or miss quality control and I would think would want to make it right. kg4ymc
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »

R&L Electronics customer service has alot to be desired, I've been jerked around by these guys also....Go with HRO & forget R&L - stay away.... Sad
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 01:13:33 AM »

I'd expect a demo unit to be in perfect working condition.

If you bought it directly from MFJ, full list price, they might have paid to send you another unit when they received yours?

As long as you sent the unit with tracking so that you can prove they received it, your charge card company will issue you a refund for the purchase price IF you follower their directions.  In essence, they issue you a refund and then take funds from the seller.

They only place I know of that forces the seller to refund the purchase price plus the mailing cost to you is Ebay.  And, you have to pay the cost to mail the item back, insured, with tracking.

Bob

PS: they few products I've purchased from MFJ have always been perfect.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 05:12:40 AM »

I use R&L sometimes because they are local, they get the package here next day, and the prices are lower sometimes than the competition. I do consider price.  I have never bought a demo or used item from them though, so I cannot comment on that aspect.  The stuff I got was in the box new stuff that only sat in their shop between me and the mfr.  I call, order and the stuff arrived fast and no problems.  Maybe the issue is with the non factory sealed new stuff.  So I will use due caution with that.  But buying used is a roll of the dice anywhere. Even if a seller backs it, a dog is a pain to deal with and a waste of time even in the best circumstances.  I have an MFJ tuner and the only issue was loosening rivets on the antenna jacks.  I drilled them out and put in 4-40 hardware. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:14:54 AM by Tom Sherwood » Logged
WA6VJG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 12:04:15 PM »

I have used R&L for years and have never had a problem with them.
This is even with "Used Gear;" so the "Kit" idea may be the answer.
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 08:15:24 AM »

i have always used hro and have never had any problems...73s n0zna/John
K4XZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »

I have dealt with R&L a number of times. No problems here. If you think that anyone will refund the return shipping better think again. I would also stay away from MFJ tuners. There reputation is well known and there are plenty of other tuner manufacturers that sell quality products. I do have a few pieces of MFJ stuff and it works fine. To each his own.

73 Joe K4XZ
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »

I ordered the M2 6M3 3el beam from them. It arrived within a few days, no problem whatsoever with the order.
KB9WIS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »

I used to think R+L was great and have also ordered (thousands of money spent) from them many times in the past, but I stopped doing so recently due to their poor customer service lately..  Their staff is either clueless or unhelpful, or if a real ham answers that knows something about the hobby and gear, they're often rude.  I have had a few recent problems with them, their service, and returning a product that didn't work (even though I had the product less than 24 hours).  Even though I've made tons of orders with them in the past they wanted to give a run around and I don't like being belittled, so I took my money elsewhere (AES, HRO..).
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »

Dear NR4C:

You are incorrect that MFJ has autotuners manufactured in China! Why would you think that? Because Martin is of Chinese heritage? He was born in Clarksdale, MS and has never lived in China! I live in Starkville, MS and have toured the MFJ factory WHILE such autotuners are under construction. While MFJ does sometimes have QC issues...this was more in the past before they implemented wave-soldering machines...it has nothing to do with "Chinese" assembly....MFJ is one of the few US manufacturing plants that uses American labor to make their products...recently Martin told the Atlanta RC that over 80% of all his products are American made...he has a few imports but none of his major products like the antenna analyzers, antenna tuners, amplifiers, and so forth are imported as you described.

Sincerely,

Frank
K4FMH
I agree that this belongs on another forum, but....

From your description, you have two issues here.

First, the "Quality Control" issue is with MFJ, not R&L.  R&L does not open, inspect and test each and every item they ship.  And, MFJ has these items built in China, or Taiwan or the moon somewhere and I'll bet they come boxed, ready for shipment and sale.  I doubt that MFJ opens and inspects every one.

Second, there is the "Quality of Service" issue with R&L.  Customer satisfaction should be their #1 priority and based on your description, they failed in this effort.  I and many of my friends have had years of good dealings with R&L and I don't think one incident will change my mind.

...bc    nr4c
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: