Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APCO 25  (Read 1262 times)
N8DV

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »

I see in the new ARRL repeater directory listings for APCO 25. I thought that was radio for police and fire. Can anyone fill me in as to what is APCO 25 for ham radio is?  Thanks
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »

While it's primary users are public safety, there's no reason it can't also be used for other LMR applications, including amateur radio.

It offers an alternate digital solution to Icom's D-star system. Haven't tried either personally though so can't comment on the merits of either system.
VE6EO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:57:11 AM »

I have used both and each have their benefits and drawbacks. The one area where I think P-25 has D-Star beat is the ability to update the vocoder software. The latest host version of P-25 blow the socks off D-Star. The ability to reprogram a D-Star radio on the fly is nice, but with the front panel programming option available on certain P25 radios will make this a mute point. Though I would recommend one uses a computer to program both radios for the ease and convenience. 

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:53:57 AM »

A lot of it has to do with the availability of phased out P25 public service equipment.  As most Public Service agencies are now moving not only toward P25, but due to FCC mandate toward narrow band FM for Public Service, this equipment becomes available. 

Since hams have been modding mustered out Public Service equipment for years, this is a natural iteration of repeaters.  It's a cheap alternative.  (Hams aren't cheap - are they?)
N8DV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »

I sure would like to pickup a used Motorola Saber etc. The audio is outstanding but unfortunately, I don't know how to program it. I know I need a rib/ribless connection and proprietary software. I saw a very nice units while down at Dayton, but the guy wanted quite a bit for the radio. It had a spare battery and charger with a microphone. He wanted $900. I know these units are quite expensive new. In the range of $3500. Oh well. I will stick with my Icom W32. Thanks all for your responses. 73
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »

$900 for an Astro Saber is highway robbery.  They're at best $300-400.  And if I remember correctly, Motorola doesn't officially support the model any more.

There is some good P25 information on the Batboard.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:30 AM »

See: http://batboard.batlabs.com/
also:
http://www.gemoto.com/

Lots of Motorola (and GE at the latter) info.
VE6EO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »

$900 for an Astro Saber is highway robbery.  They're at best $300-400.  And if I remember correctly, Motorola doesn't officially support the model any more.

There is some good P25 information on the Batboard.

If I could find someone to pay that for my ASIII UHF, I would take it at a drop of the hat.  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: