Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bye sunspots  (Read 4434 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:21:50 AM »

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/09/say-goodbye-to-sunspots.html
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »

Thanks for the link, OM!  Absolutely consistent with what I have learned from a long term Ham Pal that possesses a 'Piled Higher and Deeper' degree in Astro-Physics.  *I* am a mere Electronics Technician, strongest in 'hollow state'. I was on air for the tail end of Cycle 19, when '20' was open all night long. Ten was 'dependable'. We had no '15' yet. I remember the concept of a Grand Cycle, where the Eleven Year Cycle was superimposed on a much longer Sine wave... that 'could' be on IT's decline for a long time now; that is far beyond my abilities. I *do* know that when last I talked with Pete, he agreed with my simple observation [there IS NO 'Ham Useful' current cycle], and stated this is the longest 'pit' in something over 100 years. Probably he had access/knew/understood what the author of that URL was talking about.

Sad for our hobby...if ragchewing around the World is your thing...as mine is. Sadder yet when considered with the  lack of 'beginner interest'...probably due to the @#%%$@# Internet and Cell Phones!!  HI HI. I am especially sad as I've had a Ham Ticket longer than any 'paper' I have, and I owe Ham Radio far more than I could ever repay...

VY 73 ES TNX AGN

dm
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »

That left me cold, ice age cold...
What happened to global warming?

N8CMQ   Jeff
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:07:48 AM »

That left me cold, ice age cold...

Obama renamed it; claims global warming is too tame for such a dangerous situation.

It's now ... Global Climate Destruction.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »

HI HI HI HI>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HI
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:19:16 AM »

"Sunspots disappeared almost entirely between 1645 and 1715 during a period called the Maunder Minimum"

No wonder there was no radio communications during that time  Grin
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »

It's on Earth, which has no effect on the sun.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 07:57:51 PM »

Not concerned at all.

It'll be a fun time -- whipping up kits for 160, 80, and 40, a renaissance in rhombics and Beverages, and more emphasis on weak signal modes such as CW and PSK. 

It will make it more difficult to turn newcomers into ham radio through 20 phone.  It's time that 20m loses its position as the preeminent DX band. 

We've got plenty of fun ahead of us.  It's a matter of exploiting the situation at hand.  Remember, we hams proved that the shortwaves weren't useless after all  Grin

73, Jordan
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:29:06 AM »

'Roger'.... Jordan, but remember, in the days when "...keep 'em under 200 meters and they wont got out of their backyards...", a lot of hams had ROOM for those Lo-Band aerials. There was no TV or other 'late night' diversions.

It CAN be a great future [for some], death of the hobby for others...

'We live in hope...' ......[Jimmy Stewart]

dm
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »

I would not be too worried about the newcomers, they will never have known what a solar maximum is like, and aren't the hard times what separate the men from the boys?
I know 10m is like a cemetary at midnight but 40,30,20,17 and 15m are all open during most days for me anyway.
The trick is to do what hams have always done and adjust to the conditions.
I manage to ragchew over half the world with ham friends most days by using the appropriate band and mode.
However being a primarily digital modes operator, working -15db in the noise is not usually a problem.
But 20m is usually full of phone, sstv and digital modes on most days over intercontinental paths, and lately with the sfi around 80, 17m and 15m are really popping as well.
In the same way hams were given HF as the authorities thought it was useless for intercontinental communications, now with the internet and HF broadcasters closing, we should be able to exploit the new ecosystem even more.

By the way totally agree with the global warming comments.
It fits the criteria for anthropomorphizing a religious dogma into an income stream:
1. Can't be proven.
2. Can't be dis-proven.
3. Appeals to morality.
4. Relies on "experts".
5. Dissidents can be demonized as luddites.

As europe gets frozen solid again this year again it will be interesting to see how long before they start digging up all the coal they can to stay warm.
After all, it was only 11,000 years ago most of europe was under a mile of ice.
Interglacials are around 10,000 years on average, so we are overdue.
In the end, it does not matter what we think, nature will go its way and if an ice age
comes that will make global warming look like paradise.

Until then, keep hamming.

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »

When antenna season finally rolls around, I plan on replacing my 20 year old coax runs, replace my top guy wires with non-metalic ones, break up the middle guys with insulators and ubolts, and install a 30 meter 4 square with sloping dipoles.

I've been eyeing taking down my tribander and installing a 4 element monobander for 20 meters.

Suns spots come; sunspots go.

I plan on finding out what the next zenith brings.

Bob
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »

Back in the 1960's/70's there was the notion (don't think it could be called a theory) that our sun was a variable star and the heat/light/radiation varied over time.  Another notion was that the sun might just shut down from time to time.  The thermal inertia was such that it still radiated light and heat since it took many years for the energy from the fusion of hydrogen to reach the sun's surface. 
Even though the sun has been studied for many years, we don't know exactly how it works.  So as far as we know the sun might have already shut down and many years in the future another ice age may occur.  Later the solar furnace might crank up again and then yo-yo back and forth over the eons. 
Consider also the current "DANGER, DANGER, Carbon Dioxide Warning".  With all the forest fires the last few years don't you suppose that there was a lot of carbon dioxide produced??  Now they are talking
about sequestering CO2 underground.  That ought to be terriffic.  Free CO2 in the air is used by plants to make food and thus grow and produce all sorts of good things for us animals.  Putting it in the ground seems like a waste of time and waste of a resource.  Then there is cap and trade.
My brain is beginning to bleed.  I think I'll take a nap or try to work some DX.

Allen
KL3DL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 12:05:41 PM »

Consider also the current "DANGER, DANGER, Carbon Dioxide Warning".  With all the forest fires the last few years don't you suppose that there was a lot of carbon dioxide produced??  Now they are talking
about sequestering CO2 underground.  That ought to be terriffic.  Free CO2 in the air is used by plants to make food and thus grow and produce all sorts of good things for us animals.  Putting it in the ground seems like a waste of time and waste of a resource.  Then there is cap and trade.
My brain is beginning to bleed.  I think I'll take a nap or try to work some DX.

Allen

That is why governments should not be allowed to meddle with economies or climates...

Governments want to bury the air plants need to live, and print trillions of dollars to cover the extreme costs of doing so.

Next the government will mandate that crops must be watered with a sports drink to help give the plants electrolytes.

Must I show more proof that we live in an Idiocracy?
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »

Good idea, ETA {Bob}.... I added a few feet of twinlead to the feed on my 17 Quad Loop [E/W], so it will match on 20...myself. It *will* match on 30, but not a helluva lot of current on the wires, that band.  I worked a lot of 30 when we first got it. My best 30 antenna was a two element, wire, inverted Vee, Yagi...hung from a high line between my two 60 foot PVC masts.... aimed at EU. 200 on the Bird and rag-chews with OE were easy. Far easier than getting a card out of ES1WN. I wonder if Wes is still Non-SK. {I had it THREE elements but too narrow then}  I wonder if the packet racket 'Up' and the commerical TTY have quieted down? I netted  seventeen (17) useful 'Ham' Kay-Cees from that band!

dm
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »

"Must I show more proof that we live in an Idiocracy? "

You're not baitin' us are you?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: