Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXKeeper printing QSL's on HP130 ?  (Read 3578 times)
F4FZG

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:23:22 AM »

Greetings All,
I would like  DXKeeper to print QSO data on the back of my QSL cards. So far, after extensive fiddling with the parameters in the DXKeeper QSL config menu, I managed to print on my HP psc 1200 printer.
No luck with my HP 130 photo printer (ideal size for single QSL's). Whatever paper dimension I select in the "printer" tab of the DXKeeper QSL config menu, gets rejected.

Has anyone successfully used this printer yet ? If so, I'd be grateful for the correct parameters.

Cheers, F4FZG
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:53:46 PM »

It's the printer's driver that is rejecting the paper size parameters you've selected. Try selecting a larger paper size that you have successfully used to print with this printer from other applications.

Dave, AA6YQ
F4FZG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:50:49 AM »

Hi,
It's the printer's driver that is rejecting the paper size parameters you've selected

This is exactly what happens. I have tried ALL paper-sizes that DXKeeper proposes,  unfortunately my HP130 rejects ALL of them, although that quite a few sizes should be compatible with the printer. It' s a question of "magic numbers" that won't match.
Perhaps my french HP130 driver does not like a US application, HI.

73, fred
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:28:25 AM »

Have you checked to see if an updated printer driver is available?

Dave, AA6YQ
F4FZG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:36:06 PM »

Thanks Dave,
That is exactly what I am trying to do ! So far I haven't succeeded yet. Found on the hp support site the file: "4241_enu_w2k_xp.exe", supposed to be the latest driver for the HP Photosmart 130 printer. The instructions say "Download, unzip and execute". Being a .exe file, I just executed it. A window opens with a progress bar and after the bar has filled, the window closes and nothing more happens. I'll continue searching.
However, I found another problem, jeopardizing my project:
When DXKeeper tries to open the .mdb logfile in HRD, to import the log, it reports the logfile being "exclusively opened by another application". This happens even though no other application and in particular HRD is running. It is of course possible to copy and rename the HRD logfile, just makes things a bit more complicated.

If someone knows a way to print out one or a few QSL's from the HRD logfile, I could do without DXKeeper. Perhaps using Microsoft Access, but my knowledge of Access is too limited to do it.

73,s fred

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:00:56 PM »

DXKeeper cannot directly open a log file created by HRD; the formats are incompatible. To move QSOs from HRD to DXKeeper,

1. direct HRD to export its QSOs to an ADIF file

2. direct DXKeeper to import the file you exported in step 1 (Main window, "Import QSOs" tab, Start button)

Dave, AA6YQ
F4FZG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 02:02:49 PM »

Thanks Dave,
Having tried with no success to find/install a driver for the Photosmart 130 printer, that would work with DXKeeper, I envisage to drop DXKeeper and go for a solution with MS Word. Word is able to import .mdb table entries and I have no problem to print Word documents on the 130.

73's fred
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 07:49:46 PM »

Since I don't have an HP 130 printer, tracking down the root cause of this problem will require sending you an instrumented version of DXKeeper to see exactly what media the printer driver reports as available. If you're game, contact me via email; my email address is available via qrz.com. If not, good luck with the Word-based approach.

Dave, AA6YQ
F4FZG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the offer, I'll contact you shortly via your e-mail in QRZ.com.
BTW: I got the word based solution somehow to work, but spent almost two days searching for HP 130 drivers, de-installing, re-installing, swearing, de-installing, swearing again.....

73, fred
F4FZG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »

Hi,
I tried to send mail to :dxlab@yahoogroups.com, but it was rejected Huh
73's fred
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »

My email address is available via qrz.com

It's aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com