Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD 5.0  (Read 18173 times)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »

Thanks...

I am aware of what a null modem cable is I just find it odd that this is the only software that requires one. Not sure if I want to re-tool every time I want to use N1MM or TRX Manager. I actually have a null modem cable on hand but I need a gender changer or I'll just make a new cable...

Thanks for your help

If your cable works with N1MM and TRX Manager, it will work correctly with HRD or any other correctly-configured transceiver control application. The radio and application must be configured to use the same baud rate.

A "null modem" cable is required to directly connect the serial ports of two PCs, or when connecting a PC's serial port to a device whose RXD and TXD pins are reversed.

Dave, AA6YQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 05:24:21 AM »

A "null modem" cable is required to directly connect the serial ports of two PCs

Yes I stand corrected on this part.

or when connecting a PC's serial port to a device whose RXD and TXD pins are reversed.

and every Kenwood radio I have ever controlled with a PC required a null modem cable or adapter

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »

and every Kenwood radio I have ever controlled with a PC required a null modem cable or adapter

and since K2ZS has stated that the cable he's using to connect his PC to his TS-690 works correctly with two other transceiver control applications, then there are only two possibilities:

1. his TS-690 is an exception to your "all Kenwood radios have their RxD and TxD pins reversed" assertion

or

2. the cable K2ZS is using is wired with RxD and TxD reversed

Either way, K2ZS does not need a new cable. He just needs someone knowledgeable in HRD to give him a straight answer on configuration.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »

Not really no rocket science here and you are mudding water here. He stated early on that it appeared default port baud rate was wrong (9600) and software and comm port hardware baud rate MUST match radio or it will not talk. Before we make more out of it than there is you must verify setting as I stated earlier on before you muddied water

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »

Not really no rocket science here and you are mudding water here. He stated early on that it appeared default port baud rate was wrong (9600) and software and comm port hardware baud rate MUST match radio or it will not talk. Before we make more out of it than there is you must verify setting as I stated earlier on before you muddied water

Informing K2ZS that he didn't need to purchase a new cable did not muddy the water - it corrected an erroneous conclusion he had reached in response to comments made here. Since his existing cable works with other transceiver control applications, he can use that same cable with HRD. Leading him off into the "null modem cable" weeds was not helpful; it only served to lengthen the problem resolution time.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 05:18:46 AM »

Informing K2ZS that he didn't need to purchase a new cable did not muddy the water - it corrected an erroneous conclusion he had reached in response to comments made here. Since his existing cable works with other transceiver control applications, he can use that same cable with HRD. Leading him off into the "null modem cable" weeds was not helpful; it only served to lengthen the problem resolution time.

If you read back to were I jumped in he states that he uses other logging programs not other rig control programs or rigs with current cable and he further states he was not aware of need for a null modem cable. If he had clearly stated that he had R/C' ed other rigs their would have been no discussion of a null modem cable as he would have had it.  Rather than trying to ask him for more clarification you decided to muddy it up a bit.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:23 AM »

If you read back to were I jumped in he states that he uses other logging programs not other rig control programs or rigs with current cable and he further states he was not aware of need for a null modem cable. If he had clearly stated that he had R/C' ed other rigs their would have been no discussion of a null modem cable as he would have had it.  Rather than trying to ask him for more clarification you decided to muddy it up a bit.

K2ZS said "As far as the cable goes it's a commercially made (West Mountain) cable that works with all other logging programs", and then mentioned N1MM and TRX Manager explicitly, both of which include transceiver control. No additional clarification was needed, as his current cable is obviously fine. Your claim that pointing this out was "muddying the waters" is ludicrous, but if you want to mumble on about null modem cables, have at it. At this point, you're unlikely to do any harm.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »

If there was harm it was you. Again "Logging Programs" as I use no cable with my logging program. Unlike you I do not "assume" anything here and deal with what was said. (from working in R&D for many years you deal with know facts not assumptions)  No mention of HRD control of other radios here only logging programs so no real clarity here. BTW where were you earlier when he was looking for help? You dove in later to muck it up a bit and just do not know when to quit.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »

If there was harm it was you. Again "Logging Programs" as I use no cable with my logging program. Unlike you I do not "assume" anything here and deal with what was said. (from working in R&D for many years you deal with know facts not assumptions)  No mention of HRD control of other radios here only logging programs so no real clarity here. BTW where were you earlier when he was looking for help? You dove in later to muck it up a bit and just do not know when to quit.

N1MM and TRX Manager are logging applications that employ transceiver control; if K2ZS's cable works with those applications, it will work with HRD, or at least get to the point where HRD crashes due to a driver incompatibility.

I didn't respond to K2ZS's initial request for help because I don't use HRD; I only intervened when you erroneously led him to believe that a new cable was required.

I'll quit when you stop distorting the facts.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:08:14 AM by AA6YQ » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 05:56:53 PM »

Your done doing CYA yet? Bet not. Hopefully original poster is up and running now. 

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 06:36:57 PM »

Your done doing CYA yet? Bet not. Hopefully original poster is up and running now. 

There's nothing to cover. The facts are clear, as is the conclusion: K2ZS doesn't need a new cable, despite your leading him to conclude otherwise.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »

W8JX,

It's not worth it to argue with Dave.  He splits a hair finer than anyone I have ever met.  Just go back to the beginning of this post and see how he set a trap for me.  At the time I did not know he was the author of DX Suite and fell right into it.  He's very proud of DX Suite (as he should be).  Arguing with him is kinda like a greased pig at a county fair.  Sooner or later you have to accept you won't catch the pig, and he kinda likes being chased...Wink

K2ZS,

I will agree with Dave that if the cable is working on other programs it should work with HRD as well.  Dave does say you may experience a driver crash, but since you are using a serial cable and did not state if the computer serial port is a native port or a USB converter, this MAY be a problem.  Since you are not having issues with other software, I doubt it will be an issue.  HRD does not provide drivers for the serial connection.  A huge assumption by Dave. 

I do not have any direct experience with the TS-690.  So I tend to stay away from things I can't directly test and verify in my shack.  But I do see HRD includes it into the list of predefined rigs.  If the system works with your other software, I might suggest opening the config of that software and write down all the pertinent settings.  Set up HRD the exact same way, and it should work.  To eliminate the bickering, you can reach me off net at my call at arrl.net

Jim
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 09:30:45 PM »

W8JX,

It's not worth it to argue with Dave.  He splits a hair finer than anyone I have ever met.  Just go back to the beginning of this post and see how he set a trap for me.  At the time I did not know he was the author of DX Suite and fell right into it.  He's very proud of DX Suite (as he should be).  Arguing with him is kinda like a greased pig at a county fair.  Sooner or later you have to accept you won't catch the pig, and he kinda likes being chased...Wink

You initiated this thread by claiming that the new release of HRD provided "unprecedented control over all aspects of your station." I disagreed with this claim; to expose its lack of credibility, I posed a set of questions in response. Would your answers to those questions have been different had you known me to be the author of DXLab? How, exactly, was this a "trap"? Since your answers to most of the questions I posed about HRD's capabilities were "no", how was this "splitting hairs"?

K2ZS,

I will agree with Dave that if the cable is working on other programs it should work with HRD as well.  

First you characterize my intervention as "hair-splitting"; then you agree with it.

Dave does say you may experience a driver crash, but since you are using a serial cable and did not state if the computer serial port is a native port or a USB converter, this MAY be a problem.  Since you are not having issues with other software, I doubt it will be an issue.  HRD does not provide drivers for the serial connection.  A huge assumption by Dave.  

I made no assumption. I simply qualified the assertion that "if the cable is working on other programs it should work with HRD as well" with the possibility that HRD might crash if it were incompatible with the cable's USB driver if the cable employed a USB interface.

To eliminate the bickering, you can reach me off net at my call at arrl.net

Correcting blatant errors or false claims is not bickering. Being childishly defensive when errors in your post are corrected is not bickering either, but it's equally annoying.

Everybody makes mistakes, and some of them occur in public forums. When that happens, simply acknowledge the error and move on; no one is keeping score.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:43:13 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 04:43:06 AM »

And some get a buzz out of being a PITA.

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 06:11:10 AM »

Dave,

No where did I address you.  I addressed W8JX and K2ZS.  Please refrain from responding to comments I leave for others.  Your opinion is unwanted by me.  If I address a comment to you, feel free to comment or answer.  Thank You.

Jim

W8JX,

It's not worth it to argue with Dave.  He splits a hair finer than anyone I have ever met.  Just go back to the beginning of this post and see how he set a trap for me.  At the time I did not know he was the author of DX Suite and fell right into it.  He's very proud of DX Suite (as he should be).  Arguing with him is kinda like a greased pig at a county fair.  Sooner or later you have to accept you won't catch the pig, and he kinda likes being chased...Wink

You initiated this thread by claiming that the new release of HRD provided "unprecedented control over all aspects of your station." I disagreed with this claim; to expose its lack of credibility, I posed a set of questions in response. Would your answers to those questions have been different had you known me to be the author of DXLab? How, exactly, was this a "trap"? Since your answers to most of the questions I posed about HRD's capabilities were "no", how was this "splitting hairs"?

K2ZS,

I will agree with Dave that if the cable is working on other programs it should work with HRD as well.  

First you characterize my intervention as "hair-splitting"; then you agree with it.

Dave does say you may experience a driver crash, but since you are using a serial cable and did not state if the computer serial port is a native port or a USB converter, this MAY be a problem.  Since you are not having issues with other software, I doubt it will be an issue.  HRD does not provide drivers for the serial connection.  A huge assumption by Dave.  

I made no assumption. I simply qualified the assertion that "if the cable is working on other programs it should work with HRD as well" with the possibility that HRD might crash if it were incompatible with the cable's USB driver if the cable employed a USB interface.

To eliminate the bickering, you can reach me off net at my call at arrl.net

Correcting blatant errors or false claims is not bickering. Being childishly defensive when errors in your post are corrected is not bickering either, but it's equally annoying.

Everybody makes mistakes, and some of them occur in public forums. When that happens, simply acknowledge the error and move on; no one is keeping score.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: