Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD 5.0  (Read 21389 times)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »

Dave,

No where did I address you.  I addressed W8JX and K2ZS.  Please refrain from responding to comments I leave for others.  Your opinion is unwanted by me.  If I address a comment to you, feel free to comment or answer.  Thank You.

When you post falsehoods or distortions, I will correct them whether you like it or not.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2011, 05:38:29 PM »

I rest my case.

Dave,

No where did I address you.  I addressed W8JX and K2ZS.  Please refrain from responding to comments I leave for others.  Your opinion is unwanted by me.  If I address a comment to you, feel free to comment or answer.  Thank You.

When you post falsehoods or distortions, I will correct them whether you like it or not.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »

I rest my case.

Your case that false claims and distortions should be "protected" from corrective responses? That case should be shredded, not rested.
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2011, 09:01:13 AM »

Dave,

Jim
As far as I understand it this forum is public and anyone can post whatever he wishes. No one gets banned on Eham contrary to some other reflectors. Sometimes it can get nasty or totally unrelated to the subject but I guess it is the price to pay for freedom of information. Correcting misinformation is for the good of everyone. If someone wants to have a private discussion on a specific subject Eham is surely not the right place to post.

Regarding HRD vs DXLabs: both programs are very good and I think it is a question of personal taste.
When I started evaluation logging programs one of the first was HRD and I was really impressed by the UI, the graphics ...
When I discovered DXLabs it looked like a Windows 3.1 program with an overwhelming set of features. But it is not one program but a set of programs and one can start only with DXKeeper, which I did. I liked very much the features and support and used it for several years. After that I started to add more programs from the suite. Doing so make it a lot easier to set up and is a lot less overwhelming as it first appeared.

What I really like is the support which is excellent. For example, LotW support was introduced almost as soon as LotW and each operation is a one click operation. I also follow the TT Eagle Yahoo group and no one has been able to use HRD with the Eagle, they also do not get any feedback on that problem. DXLab supports the Eagle, no one from the Yahoo group used DXLab so there is no guarantee that it will work out of the box but if there is a problem I am sure it will be fixed as soon as someone discovers it.
HRD support used to be very good but since Simon started to work on SDRs HRD seems to be on the back burner. Like DXlabs, HRD is also free so no one should complain of missing features or bugs. Dave and Simon deserve all our praise.
DXLabs or HRD? Your choice.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »

Dave,

Jim
As far as I understand it this forum is public and anyone can post whatever he wishes. No one gets banned on Eham contrary to some other reflectors. Sometimes it can get nasty or totally unrelated to the subject but I guess it is the price to pay for freedom of information. Correcting misinformation is for the good of everyone. If someone wants to have a private discussion on a specific subject Eham is surely not the right place to post.

Regarding HRD vs DXLabs: both programs are very good and I think it is a question of personal taste.
When I started evaluation logging programs one of the first was HRD and I was really impressed by the UI, the graphics ...
When I discovered DXLabs it looked like a Windows 3.1 program with an overwhelming set of features. But it is not one program but a set of programs and one can start only with DXKeeper, which I did. I liked very much the features and support and used it for several years. After that I started to add more programs from the suite. Doing so make it a lot easier to set up and is a lot less overwhelming as it first appeared.

What I really like is the support which is excellent. For example, LotW support was introduced almost as soon as LotW and each operation is a one click operation. I also follow the TT Eagle Yahoo group and no one has been able to use HRD with the Eagle, they also do not get any feedback on that problem. DXLab supports the Eagle, no one from the Yahoo group used DXLab so there is no guarantee that it will work out of the box but if there is a problem I am sure it will be fixed as soon as someone discovers it.
HRD support used to be very good but since Simon started to work on SDRs HRD seems to be on the back burner. Like DXlabs, HRD is also free so no one should complain of missing features or bugs. Dave and Simon deserve all our praise.
DXLabs or HRD? Your choice.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU

Thanks, Jean-Claude, but this thread is not about HRD vs. DXLab. Nowhere in this thread have I denigrated HRD; it's a fine application. As you know, Simon HB9DRV and I have invested considerable energy in ensuring that our applications interoperate, and many users take advantage of this capability.

This thread started with KB1NXE's July 2009 post claiming that the newly released HRD 5 provided "unprecedented control over all aspects of your station". In response, I posted a set of questions about HRD 5's station control capabilities. KB1NXE's response to most of these questions was "no". I then pointed out that the answers to all of these questions for DXLab was "yes", and had been so for years.

Instead of simply responding "thanks, I didn't know that", KB1NXE instead chose to claim he was "trapped" because he didn't know I was the author of DXLab. Despite having been asked on several occasions, he has yet to explain how that knowledge would have changed his answers to the questions I posed, or in any way changed the outcome of the discussion. The fact is that he made an exuberant but blatantly inaccurate claim - most likely out of ignorance - and continues to whine about having this publicly exposed.

KB1NXE's post should have been a red flag for anyone actually familiar with HRD 5, for as I later learned from its users, HRD 5 was when initially released a step backwards in functionality from HRD 4. HRD 5's primary objective was to eliminate the "all functionality in one big executable" limitation that was constraining HRD 4's development. Thus HRD 5 did not offer "unprecedented control" in comparison to HRD 4, much less in comparison to DXLab or other station automation applications.

In summary, this thread is not about HRD vs DXLab, it's about what happens when you publicly post claims that aren't true. As I've suggested, the best course of action is to simply admit your mistake and move on.

PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »

Hi Dave, I read this thread from the start to be sure what it was all about and I am sorry if I did not express myself correctly. I just had the impression that after your first post some took it as HRD vs DXlab. As I indicated it these are 2 fine programs and I know that you have been cooperating - HRD Bridge has been out for a long time for example. In the end it is a personal choice.

Regarding the unprecedented control I totally agree with you that HRD 5 is not the one.
I guess when someone loves a program he tends to be biased, I know that I am, but this is not an excuse not to recognize our own mistakes.

I would not be able to tell which program offers unprecedented control as I do not know what is out there. I started briefly with Logger32, played with HRD (not V5 but something like V2-V3) and discovered DXLab which I have been using since then. I participated in some contests some years back and for that I used N1MM.

Thanks to Dave and Simon for their high quality software.

De Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
9A2QP

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »

Hello to all users of HRD. This is an outstanding free software, I use it already for two years and I am very satisfaction.I have CAD control over two stations connected TS480SAT-USB port and FT100D-COM port, and only when needed, resuming what I want working condition. DM780 is perfect and there are many modes of communication which is nice. With one big thank you for such good software.
 73 all of 9A2QP-Joe
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2011, 07:43:54 AM »

OK Dave, this one is for you.  I've held off in doing this, because I wasn't "Keeping Score", but you appear to.  Since you keep referring to a post a year and a half old.  So, this is necessary.

The word unprecedented was my opinion.  I'm entitled to that.  I tried your application, and I didn't like it.  I found it cumbersome, the user interface wasn't to my liking, and for lack of a better word, I didn't like the 'feel'.  The same went with N1MM's logging system, and several other rig control and logging applications available.  HRD version 4.1 did it for me, but not quite.  When version 5 was released it did have many improvements that I appreciated and felt did it better than any other (including your application), hence the use of the word unprecedented.  Something you seemed to be totally hung up on.  When I compare DXLAB to HRD, HRD is way ahead in many ways IN MY OPINION.  HRD BLOWS DXLAB AWAY IN MY OPINION.  So the use of the word unprecedented is JUSTIFIED IN MY OPINION.  I WILL NOT APOLOGIZE FOR THAT.  GET OVER IT.

So, there you go.  I expressed my opinion.  Guess what buddy?  I AM ALLOWED TO DO JUST THAT.  Since I am not a paid author for any publication, anything I write is the sole expression of MY THOUGHTS AND UNDERSTANDINGS.

Also, I was not the one who initially used the term or thought 'Trapped' (I believe the word 'ambushed' was first used).  Another person expressed his opinion that you seemed to have done that.  About that time I became aware of your role in DXLab.  So, the observation of the another person was a very fitting statement and I agreed.  Wow, a third party read what had transpired and had an opinion that differed from yours.  And that seems to be the underlying current to this thread.  YOU DO NOT LIKE PEOPLE WHO'S OPINION IS DIFFERENT THAN YOURS.  They have a word for that.

There was absolutely no steps backwards in HRD functionality from V4 to V5.  Indeed, there were many advances.  For example: the inclusion of features like eQSL automatic updating.  But of course you checked that out, didn't you?  NO?  The users you 'heard' from must not have learned enough about the system to correctly exploit the features would be my guess.  But then, your hearsay was all the research you invested or needed, obviously.

I have helped dozens of people get up and running on HRD V5.  I have assisted dozens more with problems they have had and assisted them in using and understanding the HRD applications.  I do have a very good understanding of HRD and its features.  I tend to stay away from threads I have no direct knowledge in (like how do I get HRD to work with my TenTec, etc) or cannot duplicate (since I don't work the satellites, I don't have any experience with HRD SAT or Az/El rotors).  Since you seemed to have very little HRD experience, there is no need for you to offer anything new on HRD.

So, Big Man, give it a rest.  Unless I specifically address you, please stay away from me and anything I post.  Unless you have something positive to contribute, plonk me, PLEASE!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:51:12 AM by KB1NXE » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2011, 11:16:18 PM »

OK Dave, this one is for you.  I've held off in doing this, because I wasn't "Keeping Score", but you appear to.  Since you keep referring to a post a year and a half old.  So, this is necessary.

The word unprecedented was my opinion.  I'm entitled to that.  I tried your application, and I didn't like it.  I found it cumbersome, the user interface wasn't to my liking, and for lack of a better word, I didn't like the 'feel'.  The same went with N1MM's logging system, and several other rig control and logging applications available.  HRD version 4.1 did it for me, but not quite.  When version 5 was released it did have many improvements that I appreciated and felt did it better than any other (including your application), hence the use of the word unprecedented.  Something you seemed to be totally hung up on.  When I compare DXLAB to HRD, HRD is way ahead in many ways IN MY OPINION.  HRD BLOWS DXLAB AWAY IN MY OPINION.  So the use of the word unprecedented is JUSTIFIED IN MY OPINION.  I WILL NOT APOLOGIZE FOR THAT.  GET OVER IT.

So, there you go.  I expressed my opinion.  Guess what buddy?  I AM ALLOWED TO DO JUST THAT.  Since I am not a paid author for any publication, anything I write is the sole expression of MY THOUGHTS AND UNDERSTANDINGS.

Nowhere in this thread have I challenged your preference for HRD over DXLab. Your remarks above are irrelevant to the discussion.

You can indeed post anything you like. You can post that 1+1 equals 11. But when you post something that's incorrect, expect someone to point out the error in your post. You claimed that "HRD 5 provides unprecedented station control" -- a testable assertion. I tested it by assembling a list of station control capabilities long-supported by DXLab and asking you whether HRD 5 supported those capabilities. Your responses were mostly "no". Thus your claim that "HRD 5 provides unprecedented station control" was demonstrably false.

Also, I was not the one who initially used the term or thought 'Trapped' (I believe the word 'ambushed' was first used).  Another person expressed his opinion that you seemed to have done that.  About that time I became aware of your role in DXLab.  So, the observation of the another person was a very fitting statement and I agreed.  Wow, a third party read what had transpired and had an opinion that differed from yours.  And that seems to be the underlying current to this thread.  YOU DO NOT LIKE PEOPLE WHO'S OPINION IS DIFFERENT THAN YOURS.  They have a word for that.

You've been asked multiple times to explain exactly how the above proceedings constituted an "ambush" or "trap". So far, your only response has been "someone else said it was a trap too"; that's not an explanation.

You continue to evade the fundamental point: DXLab supports a long list of station control capabilities that HRD 5 does not. This fact does not mean that DXLab is "better" than HRD; some users have little interest in those capabilities, or consider other factors to be more important. All it means is that your claim that "HRD 5 provides unprecedented station control" is false.

There was absolutely no steps backwards in HRD functionality from V4 to V5.  Indeed, there were many advances.  For example: the inclusion of features like eQSL automatic updating.  But of course you checked that out, didn't you?  NO?  The users you 'heard' from must not have learned enough about the system to correctly exploit the features would be my guess.  But then, your hearsay was all the research you invested or needed, obviously.

The loss of an integrated Mapper with its azimuthal map view from V4 to V5 was a significant step backwards: http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showthread.php?15418-I-Miss-Mapper!!!

The loss of CDROM callbook support from V4 to V5 was a significant step backwards; http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showthread.php?19230-HamCall-CD-Issue-Was-No-Callbook

http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showthread.php?21197-DM780-Difference-in-HRD-V4.1-Beta-vs.-V5-beta

http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showthread.php?16041-An-old-feature-returned

http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showthread.php?21514-Seriously-Considering-Going-Back-to-v4.0

Are posts from HRD users in the HRD Support Forums hearsay?

Unless I specifically address you, please stay away from me and anything I post.  Unless you have something positive to contribute, plonk me, PLEASE!

When you post falsehoods or distort facts, I will correct them. Count on it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:20:56 AM by AA6YQ » Logged
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »

Then I hope you are prepared for the stalking charges and the law suit that follows.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 02:02:48 PM »

Then I hope you are prepared for the stalking charges and the law suit that follows.

Responding to public posts on the internet is not stalking.

When you're deep in a hole, the first step towards escape is to stop digging.

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »

Check paragraph 'f'.  AND FOR THE FINAL TIME - DO NOT ADDRESS ANY COMMUNICATION TO ME EVER.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxii/644/644-4.htm
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »

Check paragraph 'f'.  AND FOR THE FINAL TIME - DO NOT ADDRESS ANY COMMUNICATION TO ME EVER.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxii/644/644-4.htm

No judge or jury would consider responses to public posts on the internet to be "communication" as referenced in that statute. You have no control over who responds to your public posts, and you're certainly not gaining any credibility here by making threats and issuing orders like an over-tired two-year-old.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: