Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW on 64-bit Vista  (Read 2117 times)
VE3FDT

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2009, 01:13:47 PM »

When I first moved to Vista x64 I experienced this problem: my LoTW (latest available version 1.1.1) software stopped working altogether.

Whenever I would execute either tqsl.exe or tqslcert.exe or whenever they would be called by other software (say a logger during upload to LoTW), same error message would appear:
Header: "tqsl.exe (or tqslcert.exe) - Unable To Locate Component"
Message: "This application has failed to start because tqsllib2.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

The tqsllib2.dll was residing happily in the main program directory and the inability of the software to find it was a secret wrapped in an enigma shrouded in the mystery.

Nothing seemed to get it to work. I re-installed numerous times, I cleaned the registry thoroughly of any associated entries and re-installed several times, I emailed ARRL and LoTW about the problem and got no help or reply.

I gave up and stopped using LoTW.

I have to add that absolutely ALL other "legacy" software I use (and I use a lot) works with no problems whatsoever under Vista 64-bit and only ONE really old MS-DOS program requires DOS-Box to work; everything else just works "out of the box". I am happy with Vista x64 and obviously not with LoTW.

After a few months and numerous updates to the OS and other software changes (I mess with my computer quite a bit), I tried the LoTW software again, "just for the heck of it". It worked.

The interim changes to the system were too many and too severe to trace the root of the "enabling". Anyway, I was obviously happy with the result and did not care that much for the cause.

I started using LoTW again and used it until a week ago for several months with no problems. Changed the logging program in the meantime with no negative effects, too.

I tried to use it today and it DOES NOT WORK. Exactly same error messages as originally. (See above.)

A week is a long time on my computer: brand new security suite, Vista Service Pack 2 installed with several MS updates, new versions of several SW packages, etc. Too much to trace through, too important to uninstall.

What's wrong with LoTW software?

Has anybody seen this? Can anybody help?
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »

If you have an application that either runs or doesn't run based on changes you make to your PC, I recommend looking at the changes you made to your PC, not the application.

There are quite a few DXLab users running on Windows 64; none of them has reported any difficulty with uploading to LotW (which invokes TQSL.exe)

Dave, AA6YQ
VE3FDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »

I do not have "an application that either runs or doesn't run based on changes I make to my PC".

I have THE application (one out of possibly over 200 on my PC) that stops running based on God knows what. Every other application on my PC is just fine and dandy.

BTW, I am a very happy user of the DXLab suite on the 64-bit system in question. It worked with the LoTW software as expected, it still works perfectly (even after a version upgrade of the DXKeeper during the week when I did not attempt LoTW uploads), except for the LoTW part, where it executes the call correctly: "waiting for TQSL to complete processing" .

It is LoTW and nothing but LoTW that gets broken. Somebody must have seen this happen...

73 and thanks for the DXLab: I love it!

Dariusz, VE3FDT
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »

TQSL.exe didn't change during the interval you describe, so the issue *must* be environmental. If TQSL is unable to locate a library, then perhaps its being prevented from seeing that library by your anti-malware, or perhaps a critical entry in the Windows Registry has been corrupted.

If you make rapid changes to a Windows system, you should not expect that system to be reliable. This is a well-known property of Windows, attributable to its shared library mechanism and generally fragile architecture. Before adding any new application to the XP system I use for DXLab development, I direct Windows to make a restore point; there's a nightly backup to which I can fall back if the damage should exceed what a restore point can correct. After installing a new application, I verify that all of my critical applications still work correctly -- including a check that DXKeeper still syncs with LotW. I don't accept security updates without first looking to see what they do, and I verify my critical applications after installing any security update. I follow the same procedures with the laptop I use in my consulting business.

I understand that downloading and trying new software can be lots of fun; I go out of my way to make it easy for new users to download and install DXLab applications. If you're going to do this sort of thing frequently, I would dedicate a PC to the activity -- one where occasional and unpredictable outages won't consume your stomach lining. Once an application proves safe on your "sandbox" machine, you can consider installing it on the system(s) on which you rely.

Dave, AA6YQ
VE3FDT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »

Dave,

I agree with everything you said.

And yes, I live my PC life dangerously.

And yes, if I restored my machine to the state from a week ago, LoTW would probably start working again.

That is NOT the point.

The point is: hundreds and hundreds of other applications are not affected by the changes I make and this ONE application is, because suddenly the main executable cannot find a dynamically linked library that resides IN THE SAME DIRECTORY that the executable itself.

Surely there is something wrong with this picture.

The REAL point is: has anybody encountered this and found the way out?

73, Dariusz VE3FDT
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »

re "The point is: hundreds and hundreds of other applications are not affected by the changes I make and this ONE application is, because suddenly the main executable cannot find a dynamically linked library that resides IN THE SAME DIRECTORY that the executable itself.

Surely there is something wrong with this picture."

>>>Most likely, this is the fault of either Windows or an anti-malware application running on your PC.

re "The REAL point is: has anybody encountered this and found the way out?"

>>>You are the first person I know of to report this behavior, so I can't offer a known good escape route.

>>> I suggest that you start the debugging process by disconnecting your PC from the network and rebooting it safe mode. Try running TQSL; does it still complain about being unable to find the library? If not, then you'll have to enable your applications one at a time to find which one is responsible. If TQSL still fails after rebooting in safe mode, then perhaps a registry setting is amiss; I would uninstall TQSL and then re-install it.

Davee, AA6YQ

Dave, AA6YQ
VE3FDT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:03:19 PM »

Just to close the subject: Dave was 100% right and as to me, well, I just let the frustration get into the way of clear thinking.

There appears to be nothing wrong with LoTW software working correctly on my Vista 64-bit SP2 computer.

It seems to have been the fault of the newly installed security suite (64-bit BitDefender 2010 Total Security Beta) which started detecting tqsllib2.dll as "infested".

I had an identical problem when I first installed 64-bit BitDefender 2009 about a year ago. This has cleared along the way; probably with one of the updates to BitDefender. The same problem has now come back with the new version.

Long story short: I uninstalled BitDefender 2010 and now LoTW software works on my system both with the Windows Firewall / Defender combo as comes with Vista and with Check Point's Zone Alarm Internet Security (I have given this one up because a year ago they did not have a working 64-bit version, now they do and LoTW works just fine with it installed).

Moral of the story: if you have a 64-bit Vista and want LoTW to work, stay away from overly zealous "malware protectors".

Cost of the lesson: I guess I will not get a refund for BitDefender.

And thanks again for the DXLab suite, Dave!

73, Dariusz VE3FDT
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:53:29 PM »

Glad you got it sorted, Dariusz.

Dave, AA6YQ
SV2HRV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 07:34:07 AM »

Hello there
yesterday we assembled a new PC with Vista Ultimate 64. All the programms are working just fine even our driver for the RIP Server which I used XP64 version driver (the company doesn't support Vista 64).

I can't even load the Certifation file. Just pop ups an window who says:

System error: C:\\***\***\AppData\Roaming/TrustedQSL/keys/SV2HRV: No such file or directory.

The slash is wrong but the pop up show so.
What is going wrong?
73 de SV2HRV
K4GDW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »

I'm having the same problem.  I created the directory that it said was missing and now it says that permission is denied.  Even if I run TQSLCERT as Administrator.  I've tried looking at the permissions on the folder and my account has "full control" of that folder.  Any ideas?  Anyone?  OS is Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
VE3FDT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »

Sorry for the delayed response. It is summer...

As Dave AA6YQ pointed out, most likely this is the fault of an anti-malware application running on your PC. At least this is what happened in my case.

I suggest that you follow my route: disable any firewall / antivirus software other than plain vanilla Windows (built-in firewall and defender). In my case this already solved the problem; I ended up uninstalling the "offending" security software and switching to a different security suite (see my post above).

If this does not help, start the debugging process by disconnecting your PC from the network and rebooting in safe mode. Try running TQSL; does it work now? If not, then you'll have to enable your applications one at a time to find which one is responsible.

73, Dariusz VE3FDT
K0OK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »

I am running Vista 64 and BitDefender anti virus. Initially I had the same error. I went in the BitDefender control panel and under "Shield" made an exception for the TQSL and TQSLCert.

Runs fine now...
N4MB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »

I had the same issue after installing Acronis Home Security. Turned anti virus off, reinstalled, everything works perfectly.

It appears that permissions are not set properly on the .dll. It's a bug. Vista and antivirus can't let things run if permissions don't jive.

You can exempt it from some anti-virus packages, but best just to get the fellow who wrote it to fix his installation script to adjust permissions or perhaps the location (inherit permissions!) the dll is installed.

Oh, by the way, I never have these issues on my Linux or Mac boxes.

But tsql and the entire LOTW procedure can use some simplifying. This is far more complicated than it needs to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: