Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL811 - Panel Lights  (Read 6215 times)
GM4CUX

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:58:49 AM »

The panel lights in my AL811 have dimmed  - not extinguished - but dimmed. Does this indicate an amplifier fault? If not are the bulbs simply needing to be renewed? Having taken the lid off, the meters appear to be sealed units and no means of accessing the bulbs is immediately apparent. Anyone had experience of this situation? Any comments and advice appreciated.
Many thanks
Graham GM4CUX
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:23:05 AM »

My 811 has the lamps above the meters glued 2 each to the meter. You can check the voltage if you are concerned, they are std 12 volt. There are some pretty cool LED light kits available for them as well.

73, Dave
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »

Dave,

Where can you get the LED kits for the AL811?

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »

Ameritron sells them.  I got them from Ameritron for my AL-1500 and AL-80A. 

Without checking the ALS-600 meter light bulb voltage, this may work too.

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Presentations/ALS600%20LEDs.pdf
N3OQD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:41:26 PM »

Just to let you know, I have done many LED retrofits for radio and stereo sets.  Even with the typical 15 to 20 milliamp foward bias, some of these el-cheapo white LED's from China dim rather quickly.  So your LED with proper foward current drive lifespan is pretty much limited by the quality of the LED itself.
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 07:05:22 AM »

Got mine off ebay. No biggie, I have blue ones, I expect someone makes kits as well. Always a good idea to use Ameritrons.

73, Dave
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:09:29 AM »

Heres what I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ameritron-Meter-Lamp-Light-LED-Replacement-Set-Blue-/150493820767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230a21775f
Dave
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 07:22:50 AM »

Ameritron sells them.  I got them from Ameritron for my AL-1500 and AL-80A.  

Without checking the ALS-600 meter light bulb voltage, this may work too.

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Presentations/ALS600%20LEDs.pdf

Where on the Ameritron site are they listed? I can't find them, but I may be overlooking the listing.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:09:28 AM »

I dont see them listed on the web site. Dont bother emailing them, they are overloaded with email. Call the tech line, ask if Mike is available, he has bailed me out alot of times and should be better paid.  Heres the number:
Technical Support
662-323-8211

73, Dave KD8GEH
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:11:55 AM by Dave Z » Logged
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 01:42:57 PM »

I called to order them.

BJ
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »

Thanks!

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 07:23:38 AM »

I puzzles me why hams have to buy a LED lamp replacement kit.  Especially in places where 5 or 12 VDC is already available.  It's just a LED and an appropriate resistor.  Heck, I've even cobbled together a small 5VDC supply fed from the 6VAC filament supply based off a 7805 in my Heathkit to replace the lamps.  I made the change to LEDs in my T2X rotor controller long before Idiom Press came out with a KIT.

Thinks of all the possibilities.  Also, Google "LED Resistor Calculator" and it makes finding out the resistor values a no brainer.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:51:04 AM »

Maybe it's the difference between "Amateur Radio Operators" and hams.  The first is a group that talks on the radio, while the other is made up of guys and gals who like to talk on the radio AND build stuff.

jm 1.5 cents worth.

...bc
NM3G

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »

Here is a helpful link: www.allelectronics.com; a company that deals with surplus components such as LEDs. Please note this is one of many companies in this business, All Electronics was the first that came to mind.

Catalog # CAT# LED-12W is a Bright 5mm round white LED with built-in resistors for 12Vdc, 12mA operation. No external resistor required. Works well on 4-12Vdc. Dimmer at lower voltages. 35 Degree viewing angle. Lenses are tinted the same color as the LED when lit.

Note this requires DC and NOT AC to operate. Check your lamp power supply and add a diode in series if you have an AC lamp supply. A diode such as 1N4001 (50 Volts Peak Repetitive Reverse Voltage, 30 Volts RMS Reverse Voltage, 1 amp current limit) will do.

Looking at the specification sheet (http://www.allelectronics.com/mas_assets//spec/LED-12W.pdf), you can see the unit is typically drawing 30 mA in continuous duty. Dropping the current decreases brightness.

Assuming 30 mA at 12 VDC, the series resistor is R=E/I or
R=12/.030, or 400 ohms (shown as R801 on the spec sheet).

So, once you have picked your desired LED, read the spec sheet for typical forward current, and have measured the lamp supply voltage, you can calculate the required series resistor. Since THIS LED already has a 400 ohm resistor, all you need to do is connect it up to the lamp supply (assuming DC voltage) and if the LED is too bright, add an external resistor to suit.

Put insulating sleeving on the exposed leads, wire it up, take a few photos and post your write-up and bill of materials. No kit required, and this is a fun, yet functional modification. If you discover the LED is making noise when lit, you can place a .001 uF disc capacitor across the LED terminals (had a bunch of LEDs that were noisy enough to serve as a noise bridge source, but that's another story).

Installing this assembly into an incandescent lamp base and you're ready to go. If this is too much effort, visit www.superbrightleds.com or another vendor that provides LED replacements for incandescent bulbs ... cost for a 12 volt cool white lamp is ~ $5.00 each.

Please note this was quickly dashed off. If you find an issue or error, please feel free to modify as needed and pass along.

Identifying everyone not having the expertise of an extra-class with over 7 years as an extra is a poor example. Lead and teach.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »

Maybe it's the difference between "Amateur Radio Operators" and hams.  The first is a group that talks on the radio, while the other is made up of guys and gals who like to talk on the radio AND build stuff.

jm 1.5 cents worth.

...bc

Maybe some folks, like me, are tired of homebrewing even simple stuff. Nowhere - except in the minds of elitists - do I find that this makes me any less of a ham than the guy who scratch builds his entire shack.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: