Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL811 - Panel Lights  (Read 5959 times)
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »

Maybe it's the difference between "Amateur Radio Operators" and hams.  The first is a group that talks on the radio, while the other is made up of guys and gals who like to talk on the radio AND build stuff.

jm 1.5 cents worth.

...bc

Maybe some folks, like me, are tired of homebrewing even simple stuff. Nowhere - except in the minds of elitists - do I find that this makes me any less of a ham than the guy who scratch builds his entire shack.

Well, just a thought.  Don't you still need to install the KIT?  I guess I'm missing something.....
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »

Well, just a thought.  Don't you still need to install the KIT?  I guess I'm missing something.....

Yea, you're missing the point that not all hams are interested in acquiring all the individual parts but would rather make it a one-shot deal. Again, how does this make me any less of a "ham" than you?Huh I've done my share of home-brewing over the years but prefer to spend my time doing other things now.

It must be nice to sit on the top of your ivory tower and look down your nose at, and criticize, anyone who doesn't do things the way you do.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 09:44:56 PM »

Alright, here's my 2 cents.  It does not make you less of a ham if you build stuff, buy a kit or even buy it premanufactured.  Different strokes for different folks.  I buy stuff and build them because it relaxes me - from electronics to woodworking, it's a hobby that's fun to do and relaxes my nerves. Please let's stop this bickering before it gets out of hand and end this post unless you have more to add about the panel lights. Grin

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »

BTW FYI, I bought a bunch of LEDs a while back and used them with a 400 ohm resistor.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N3OQD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 04:50:06 AM »

Just to let everyone know, Ham Radio is about diversity as well as being a hobby.  Yes, I have done electronic work as a hobby for the past 35 years BUT I get just as much enjoyment out of interacting on a people level.  Sometimes even moreso because just talking electronics all the time can get to be a bore.  In this it is the quality of life that matters the most. Wink
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 08:05:35 AM »

Yea, you're missing the point that not all hams are interested in acquiring all the individual parts but would rather make it a one-shot deal. Again, how does this make me any less of a "ham" than you?Huh I've done my share of home-brewing over the years but prefer to spend my time doing other things now.

It must be nice to sit on the top of your ivory tower and look down your nose at, and criticize, anyone who doesn't do things the way you do.

Sorry it appears you are missing what I am trying to get across.  You have to purchase a kit that consists of a LED and resister or go to the local shack/online emporium and order a resister and LED.  It's all the same.

I do not sit in an ivory tower.  I actually live in a house just like you.  I can't look down my nose at anything but my belly.  I have not criticized you, just a few general statements that to me - it's the same. 

You appear to be mixing my comments and those of others.  Please accept I am not responsible for the posts of others.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:16 AM »

I fail to see why anyone would buy a 1 amp rectifier with less than 1000 volt PRV rating.  The
1N4007 is rated at one amp and 1000V PRV and costs about a dime.  Buy a bunch and you won't have
to shop the next time you need a 1 amp diode.  At the same time get some 1N5408 3 amp 1KV PRV
for not much more and you will be pretty well fixed for rectifiers.  Save your gas money!!

Allen
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: