Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice - can't break thread-lock loose from setscrews (K400 mount)  (Read 15644 times)
W6UX

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »

Well I did too good of a job securing the K400 mount.  Now that our trip is over, I want to remove it.  I used green threadlock on the 4 setscrews, and none of them will break loose.  I already partially rounded one setscrew already.

I tried applying a soldering iron tip directly to the setscrews, to the plate they insert into, and also tried to scrape some of the thread lock off where a bit had overflowed.  No dice.

Is there a chemical that will dissolve this stuff or some other trick I can use to break these setscrews free that won't round the inserts?

Thanks,

Jeff, W6UX
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 04:43:43 PM »

I suspect drilling them out would be the best scenario. If you use enough heat to break loose the lock tight, you're going to discolor the paint. You might try lock tight solvent. Even a little bit of is rather expensive, and you have to be darn careful using it around painted surfaces. Good luck.

W6UX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »

Looking for a non-destructive solution; I want to re-use the mount.  Do you have a name for the lock tite solvent?
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »

I've successfully used Acetone applied with a cotton swab to remove red Loctite.  As K0BG indicated, you need to be very cautious using a solvent around the auto paint.

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »

The Green Locktite will be impossible to remove without destroying the mount or damaging your paint. Green Locktite is not made to be removed. It is supposed to be permanent. However, it can be removed by heating it to 400 degrees. Good luck with that! Shocked

If you can't get the mount off and the wife is complaining, you can always sell the vehicle.  Wink

Who told you to use Green Locktite on the mount screws? Was it one of the eHam.net "experts?"  Roll Eyes  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:29:55 PM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:55:03 AM »

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-2060&CAWELAID=220227153

Wait till you see the price!

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:02:07 PM »

Loctite X-NMS solvent is primarily nitromethane [think: Top Fuel Dragster fuel, and, once and long ago on the AM radio: "...SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUUNDAAAY!!! TOP FUEL ELIMINATORS!!! 200 MPH ROCKET POWERED FUNNY CARS!!! ROUTE 101, EPPING, NEW HAMPSHIRE!!!, IF IT'S TOO LOUD... YOU'REE TOOOO OLD...!!!!" ...but I digress] w/ a bit of toluene. You might try calling a local distributor for a sample.

Lacquer thinner, xylene, toluene, MEK  and/or acetone (particularly) may work,
clear PVC primer (THF & MEK plus a bit of PVC) might even work as a last resort.
Heat is definitely your friend (w/o the solvents!) if you can apply it locally enough, fast enough. 
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 07:07:33 PM »

hi Jeff,

Instead of using heat, try cooling the setscrews with
a can of freeze spray.  this will make the threadlock brittle.

73 james
KF7MBM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »

If the freeze spray doesn't work and I really wanted to save it, I'd order some of this http://www.eastwood.com/coldshield-thermal-paste.html and use one of those cheap pencil flame butane things.

Michael
PS. Passed my Technician test 9/18 and am still resisting the urge to check every 5 minutes to see if I'm listed yet!
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 05:07:48 AM »

The OP said that one of the setscrews was "already partially rounded".

If that is the case, I doubt whether any solvent will be able to solve the problem for that particular screw. 

Drilling them out may just be the way to go here.

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 06:29:04 AM »

"Wait till you see the price!

Before you buy it, you need to call the manufacturer and make sure that it will remove green Locktite. It may only remove blue and red Locktite.  Wink

Also, KOBG has previously posted that Locktite acted as an "anti-seize" compound. If that was true, the antenna mount wouldn't be permanently fastened to your vehicle.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:36:48 AM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »

There are currently about 25 different formulations of Loctite®. Some are OEM, but most aren't. They're used as anti seize (to keep parts from galling like some stainless steels are want to do), as a so-called thread locker, and even in place of a gasket. They're not all cyno acrylics, so it is difficult to determine which solvent will work, if any.

As I said at the onset, and as Clark mentioned, based on the data given, drilling is probably the best solution in this case (if you'll excuse the pun).

KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »

Drill them out carefully and re-tap the holes for a slightly larger set screw. You're gonna need to replace them anyway by the time you're done.

Dave
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »

"There are currently 25 different formulations of Locktite (not at the hardware stores where I shop, there are only three; blue, red and green). They are used as anti-seize-"

The Locktite in question previously was Locktite blue and the Locktite in question here is Locktite green, not the other 23 different variations of Locktite. Locktite blue is not an anti-seize formula, that is why that poster could not remove his NMO wonder mount. Neither is Locktite green. Now this poster can't remove his antenna mount. Unfortunately, we have eHam.net "experts" telling new hams that Locktite is an anti-seize formula. Then we get posts like we have here. Maybe the eHam.net "experts" find it entertaining when a frustrated ham, who followed their advise, tries to remove his antenna mount. Kind of like pulling the wings off of flies. If you don't have good advise, why would you give it?  Roll Eyes

Anyway, my congratulations to Dave for giving the best common sense advice we have had so far.  Cheap (just the way I like it), fast and easy!  Grin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:29:37 PM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »

I'd be willing to bet it is way more likely to be the case that an eham poster told someone to use Locktite anti-seize compound and that someone just went out willy-nilly and purchased the first product seen with "Loctite" on it...

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: