Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice - can't break thread-lock loose from setscrews (K400 mount)  (Read 14902 times)
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »

From my experience on removing loctited set screws.
Best shot, Left Hand twist drill bit,works most of the time. Heat from drilling usually softens up the locktite and the left rotation more then likely brings out the setscrew...If not,  proper sized EZ-out,when that fails redrill and use a bottoming tap....
Have fun.  Smiley
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »

> In other words, KOBG has never used a Locktite anti-seize compound on antenna mounts,

That's OK Alan, don't feel bad.

I don't use RG-8X on my mag mounts and I ended up on the "ignore" list too.

Looks like we have a new guest, W3LK just got inducted!  Very flattering company indeed.

I wonder if an impact wrench might do any good.  I know when I'm working on my harley that's about the only way to get some of the hardware out due to dissimilar metals (cad plated bolts in aluminum alloy) being in contact for a while.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K9PU

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 03:43:36 PM »

Sorry, you're screwed.  Wrong stuff for removable little screws, good for big stuff.  Locktite recommends extreme heat, well over 150 Degrees C.  Some chemicals can actually make it stronger.  Oil is the only thing that makes it weaker and that by only 92% over 1000 hours.

Check out Locktite's site.  Pick the removable stuff next time.

Drill time. 

Scott
W6SZG

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 03:35:26 PM »

Set screws are hardened steel.  You will go through several bits before they are all drilled out.  Buy the best USA bit you can find.  If you are near a good industrical supplier a left hand bit would be worth trying.   Carbide bits work well but not in a hand drill, it will break for sure and they cost.  I like the cheapo butane torch with the tiny flame idea the best.  The sets of stuck screw removers might get the rounded one out after heat.  Make sure you use good USA manufactured allen wrenches that fit tight.  An oversized or metric allen a bit larger might also work on the rounded set screw.  These are all the tricks used on old rusty rifles I work on.  Never heard of or used Green loctite.  Go blue next time.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »

Actually Spencer, in this case they are not hardened. If you really analyze the K400 mount series, you'd realize just how cheaply made they are. The material looks like aluminum, but in reality it isn't much more than cheap pot metal.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »

Drill it out and toss it.  A K400 mount can be found for $37.00
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 07:30:22 AM »

The melting point of pot metal is 419 degrees. The melting point of aluminum is 660 degrees. Locktite's instructions say you must heat green locktite to 400 degrees to remove it. There is a good chance that heating the screws to the point of releasing the Locktite will bubble or melt the mount, along with any other low melting point parts.

The best advice came from Dave. Drill out the screws and re-tap.  Grin
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: