Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boy Scout Radio Merit Badges  (Read 20916 times)
AE5JU

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »

OK, young hams!  I'm an adult asking for YOUR help and advice.

I am Vice President of our local ham radio club.  Our club has been approached by a Scoutmaster to help his Scouts get their Radio Merit Badges.

http://usscouts.org/usscouts/mb/mb093.asp

We may also be doing some classes and assisting some of the more interested Scouts in getting licensed.

From YOUR (young wannabe ham) point of view, what can we do to best suit your needs and expectations?

Paul - AE5JU
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:56:09 AM »

OK, young hams!  I'm an adult asking for YOUR help and advice.

I am Vice President of our local ham radio club.  Our club has been approached by a Scoutmaster to help his Scouts get their Radio Merit Badges.

From an adult perspective, not a youth perspective
Our local club & scout district have been doing it this way for the past 7 years and it has always worked well

http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadgeday/

AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:12:52 AM »

We had two troops as guests at the club radio room for this past JOTA, and it was a success.  The Scouts got to talk to a Canadian ham 1100 miles away who has sent QSL cards for all of them.  That covers the "visit a station" requirement.

And Tony VE3AXW, the ham up in Canada, was a real class act!  He talked to each of the Scouts individually for a few minutes, before the Scout would hand the mic over to the next boy in line.  Thank you, Tony!

The Scouts were well behaved, polite, raised their hands to speak, asked good questions.  Some great kids!

We have arranged a loan to the troops of an Icom R75 and a portable antenna for them to do some SWL'ing and log stations.  That will cover another of the optional requirements for the merit badge.  I've done a short "quick start" guide to using the R75, and some information on radio propagation, what bands to listen to at what time of day, modes used, etc.

And we will also be arranging classes for some of the Scouts to study for their ham licenses.

Next week we (club president and I) will be taking the required adult leader classes to work with the Scouts.

So, we've got the ball rolling on our end.

Thanks for the link!

Paul - AE5JU

K2QPN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:10:52 AM »

My club (Burlington County (NJ) Radio Club) has been active with the scouts. We setup a couple of stations at Scout council HQ for JOTA. We had an HF station for voice, digital, and CW. PSK is always a hit with the scouts. I try to stress computers with radio. Most of the technically savvy kids are into computers. The VHF station is 2M FM. We have a dedicated club member at home to guarantee a contact. We have displays of QSLs and merit badge requirements. We also have a code practice oscillator and handouts on radio and Morse code. We do a similar thing for the scout's yearly Big Event. Last year, we held Field Day at Scout HQ. A couple of our members are Radio Merit Badge councilors. We provide a sign up sheet to collect email's for notification of technician classes. The scouts do a good job of publicizing the events. All of these activities really took off when we made a solid contact with the scout council commissioner. Believe me, the scouts will be glad to utilize as much of your time as you are willing to give.

73, Bob K2QPN
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »

Just a little update... all of the Scouts got their Radio merit badges.

A big success.
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 06:13:16 AM »

Just a little update... all of the Scouts got their Radio merit badges.

A big success.

Now get them hooked with JOTA, then licensed.
VK3TQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »

Hi From Australia

I have always found being involved with JOTA and engaging Kids / scouts will always grab the kids who find radio interesting, It is great the scouting movement have a badge you can where if you have a licence. It is independent of whether you are a leader or what youth section you are in.  Write to the scout radio and electronics service unit in Melbourne , Australia for more info

We have a "Foundation Licence in Australia ( Since 2005) (Entry Level licence) This has helped many many scouts get licenced and many have upgraded to higher licence levels

Giving the kids hands on experience, build something with them like an antenna and put it on air is enough to draw the interest and then engage them with further radio activity and possibly a class

This year I now have venturer scouts (14-18Yr ) with licences running JOTA.  These guys are now the future of our local Amateur radio Club    There are many tangible benefits of running close relationships with you club and the scouts

I commend you for being involved

Peter Willmott VK3TQ
Foundation President Macedon Ranges Amateur Radio Club
WIA Nominated Assessor NA002
Icom Australia AR Manager2006-2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: