Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cw on 2m fm  (Read 5385 times)
KC8OYE

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »

yes.. I mean morse code using 2m FM Smiley

something we discussed at a local club.. but it never actually went anywhere.. was having a 'cw net' on the clubs fm repeater, basicly using a tone generator connected to the radio's audio input.. so it wouldn't actually be 'cw' as such.. but I whipped an interface for my HT that worked well enough.. an on/off switch to replace the PTT operation.. and then basically just a tone generator feeding the mike input so you could hammer out code and send it via the 2m repeater..

our thinking was (this was when code was required) HF equipment is expensive.. not everybody wanted to try and meet somewhere every week and we could build the interfaces for a few bucks people could buy their own keys and we could have fun with the equipment we already had.. as radios that do SSB/cw on 2m don't seem real common or cheap..

plus it would give us tech class people a chance to actually send & receive live on the air.. granted a 50w 2m repeater belting out crystal clear signal isn't exactly hard to copy lol
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »

yes.. I mean morse code using 2m FM Smiley

. . . our thinking was (this was when code was required) HF equipment is expensive.. not everybody wanted to try and meet somewhere every week and we could build the interfaces for a few bucks people could buy their own keys and we could have fun with the equipment we already had.. as radios that do SSB/cw on 2m don't seem real common or cheap..
. . .

That sounds like ham radio to me. Smiley

Charles
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 04:36:08 AM »

Sure, the local repeater club when I was growing up used to do 20, 13, and 5 one evening a week.  Probably used MCW. 

If you can find yourself a cheap shortwave portable with a bfo, you could listen to W1AW.

Better yet, the League has W1AW archives for members.

73, Jordan
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:56:05 AM »

The way I would do it on FM, especially on a repeater, is to keep the transmitter on with a foot switch or some other type of PTT control and then "key" the tone generator to create the CW. In other words, it would be the same thing as a code practice oscillator. Actually you could use a code practice oscillator with the radio's microphone setting next to the speaker.

I would think that with squelch (often even tone squelch) on the repeater and the key up delays, keying the carrier on and off in step with the CW would be rather annoying.

By the way, the FCCs description of the mode is MCW or Modulated CW.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 05:33:13 AM »

In the late '80s I built an interface unit that would do this. I would call CQ on 652 and get many answers.

There's a company that sells such a unit.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:11:56 PM »

Some HTs will get quite warm if keyed for more than a minute or so while sending tones (or any other audio) on the air.  A fixed-station transmitter would probably be able to take it in stride.

HT battery life might also be a concern.

And regardless of the FCC's definition of this as MCW, in actuality it's pure FM, just the same as saying "dah di dah dit  dah dah di dah" into the mike.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »

The way I would do it on FM, especially on a repeater, is to keep the transmitter on with a foot switch or some other type of PTT control and then "key" the tone generator to create the CW. In other words, it would be the same thing as a code practice oscillator. Actually you could use a code practice oscillator with the radio's microphone setting next to the speaker.

I would think that with squelch (often even tone squelch) on the repeater and the key up delays, keying the carrier on and off in step with the CW would be rather annoying.

By the way, the FCCs description of the mode is MCW or Modulated CW.

i guess I Wasn't that clear.. that's what I meant to do.. I used a toggle switch that I would flip to 'on' and that would hold the ptt line 'active' and I sent the tones directly into the mic jack of the HT
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »

Sure, the local repeater club when I was growing up used to do 20, 13, and 5 one evening a week.  Probably used MCW. 

If you can find yourself a cheap shortwave portable with a bfo, you could listen to W1AW.

Better yet, the League has W1AW archives for members.

73, Jordan

I have such a short rave rig.. although it's not exactly portable Smiley  it's a Lafayette KT-320, but it's next to useless for CW i've found.. the BFO doubles as a very narrow filter for picking out cw signals.. but by the time you isolate one using the filter, you can't use the BFO since it's being used at the filter..  I've been meaning to add another bfo of some kind to it so I could copy cw.. that.. and it drifts like crazy it takes two hands to listen to AM BCB with it!

hopefully I can get good ol' mom to bring it down to me around thanksgiving.. I don't feel comfortable having it shipped, and I don't have time to drive back to michigan to get it!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:15:57 AM »

MCW doesn't refer to the modulation technique, it refers to the modulating signal - that is the FCC's way of defining things. FM (Frequency Modulation) can be "phone", "image", "MCW", or "data". They are all still Frequency Modulation (FM).

If you speak "dit", "dah" then its not MCW because you are not keying a tone on/off. In that case it is "phone". Still Frequency Modulation.

KC9HOZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »

I believe *this* is what you're looking for.

I've built one and it works like a charm!

Scott
kc9hoz
KA7PLE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 11:12:46 PM »

I believe MFJ makes a device that will do exactly what you are looking for. I dont know anything about it other than I saw it in a catalog. Might want to check it out.

ka7ple
mike
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:30:38 PM »

Dude! Great idea and applaud your efforts.

I'd like to get something like that going on here in New York, Tri-State area. Ever had a hard time hearing the person when starting to loose the repeater coverage, but was just strong enough to hear it full key. CW would deffinitly make the difference!

Good Idea!
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 11:49:19 PM »

I used to send CQ on FM repeater using modulated CW.
sometime I got reply.
most thought it is just repeater ID.
some thought it is jamming, and asked me to ID ( I was ID ing in CW )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: