Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Linux Soundmodem  (Read 469 times)
KB1QOJ

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2009, 07:26:13 AM »

I'm about to give up on ever getting getting packet/aprs working under linux.   I've tried FC10 and 11, and ubuntu 9 (and possibly 8 too).   I've tried using a dell D600 and D400 laptops as well as virtual machines running under VMWare Fusion (Mac).  

I believe my problem is with soundmodem.  I've tried source as well as packages (all the ax25 stuff loads fine with no indications of problems).   I can run soundmodemconfig  and create a configuration/channel (typically I use /dev/dsp, /dev/soundmodem0, and KISS).    I can start the diags and watch my radio input on the o-scope, the levels look fine (maybe 75% total deflection? no clipping) and I see the APRS data.  Not only that, I DO see the DCD light up when I see the data.

What I *never* see however, is any decoded data in the modem window after testing for hours.   Despite that failure, I'd soldier on and try running xastir.  And again after hours of running, it would see no data on the interface.

Before I give up and just buy a TNC, I just want to hear is that someone can confirm they actually can run soundmodem/APRS on FC10, FC11, or Ubuntu.   Besides that I would greatly appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Direct replies are fine too gary.huntress@gmail.com

Cheers,

Gary H.
KB1QOJ
KB1QOJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:40:16 AM »

moderators please delete this second post.
I got a mysql error the first (and second) time I tried posting and I didn't think it succeeded.

Gary H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: