Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7000 and AL-811 Tuning  (Read 1874 times)
W1MSG

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:24:09 PM »

Ok so I now have an amp to go with my IC-7000 but for the life of me I cant figure out how to transmit a tone in CW mode to tune the amp correctly ..

Thanks

Craig
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 05:17:26 PM »

Craig not familiar with the 7000 but I have been using the RTTY mode for over 30 years with no ill results. With a new amp use 5 or 10 watts of drive on the radio to get a feel for the dial settings to acheive your best power out and read the manual well to set grid currents etc. to maximise tube life and broadcast a clean signal.
Regards,
Bob
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »

Thanks got it, RTTY is what I figured out and I have been able to get the amp tuned up with no issues. Getting an easy 500 watts without having to drive the crap out of it.

Still trying to get a feel for the plate and load adjustments. Seems the load is alot lower than the starting point in the book but I am keeping it all lower than the max specs, 450ma on the plate current and 150 on the grid.
I guess so long as you keep it below those parameters your in good shape.

Got a couple of great reports already so I am very happy, now that I have somewhat of an idea what I'm doing hehehe, wow steep learning curve, thats probably why I love this hobby !!
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »

Hi,

I have an AL-811 and enjoy it; it is a nice little amp when it is working right, but I have had several "issues" with it. 
Trust me!  Don't push it too hard. Those Chinese 811A's are not
exactly bullet proof. Trying to "squeeze" a few extra watts out of that amp will make absolutely ZERO difference to some guy 700 miles away, but it
WILL make difference in tube life. Get a mirror and keep it in the shack so you can see what is going on in the tube compartment. 

I can absolutely promise you that 300 W output is the absolute max. you want to run on CW. That is due to the ratings of 811A's....they are rated at 65 W of plate
dissipation in ICAS service. Check out Tom, W8JI's website on how to tune amps. VERY GOOD STUFF. If you use it mostly on SSB which is about
a 25% duty cycle, it will probably be trouble free. Again, you MUST reduce the output to keep it with in the ratings on the tubes on CW and especially
RTTY or data. This is due to the tube ratings, not a failure or short coming of Ameritron's design. I would strongly recommend the CCS ratings/spec's if you use data.

If you operate CW, you may find it will not properly tune on the low end of the low bands. Be very careful there; you can burn the tube plates quickly
if you operate it out of proper tune. I operate 98% CW and ended up having to modify the tank circuit to get proper tuning on the low end of 80 M,
but if you are SSB only, that probably will not be an issue to you.

My guess is that a lot of the 811A amps (the tubes) are damaged due to user abuse and mis-tuning. Again, check W8JI's website on tuning amps.

Bottomline: give it a little TLC and it will likely serve you well. If you need more power, buy a bigger amp!!

...and yes, the "RTTY" setting will allow you to tune. Keep an eye on the GRID current !!!

73,  K0ZN
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:30:48 AM »

"Get a mirror and keep it in the shack so you can see what is going on in the tube compartment.  "

Man, I thought I was the ONLY one to do that!

KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »

Craig,

Go to http://www.ameritron.com/man/pdf/AL-811.pdf and get the tuning instructions from the manual.

73 DE Bert @ KA2UUP
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »

Craig,

Go to http://www.ameritron.com/man/pdf/AL-811.pdf and get the tuning instructions from the manual.

73 DE Bert @ KA2UUP

Thanks Burt, but I have the manual that came with the amp and it doesnt say anything about how to transmit the tone. I did however get that questioned answered.

The Ameritron manual leave much to be desired on the tuning, and I have gotten better info from the web on doing it correctly and getting the best results.

73, Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: