Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB problem...."Unknown Device"....  (Read 528 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:33:34 AM »

Thru a series of installs and uninstalls of the RigExpert Drivers, I've got myself wrapped tightly around the axle, and see no way of getting unscrewed.

The initial installed went according to the book, but later in a moment of frustration, I uninstalled the software becasue I felt I had done something wrong.  The uninstall appeared to go normally.

Following the instructions, I loaded the RigExpert CD which is really nothing more that a set of drivers which are place in a diretory.  Then I plugged the unit in (a RigExpert SD).  Instead of asking me to install the drivers (as it previously did), it now says that the drivers are not for that device.  Instead of being in the soundcard section of the Device Manager, it shows up in the Device Manager list under the Universal Serial Bus controller list as "Unknown Device".

Despite uninstalling the drivers, something must remain that prevents a clean reinstall.  I'm stumped, any ideas?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »

hi Tom,

you can delete the item in device manager
then shutdown and start windows and try again.

73 james
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »

Hi James.  I think I've tried that, but it still won't recognize the new drivers. Are you suggesting  I plug the RigExpert in, then go into the Device Manager and delete the "Unknow Device" that will appear in the Universal Serial Bus list?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »

hi,

after you have windows running,
delete the device without having it connected.

then shutdown and restart, install drivers first,
then plug in the device and it should be discovered
as new hardware.

73 james
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 04:29:18 AM »

Hi James.  So I guess my next question would be, "How do you manually install the drivers?"

In a normal installation, plugging in the RigExpert device initiates the driver installation sequence.  The user points to the location and the transfer process is automatic.  Working manually, where do I copy the drivers to?

Thanks, Tom Hybiske K3GM
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »

Hi,

ok, most usb stuff has installation disk
to load up first, even if it is just driver file or
two.

if this is not the case with your usb device,
insert the usb device and when windows finds it,
it will ask for drivers, tell it to search the
cd and you should be good to go.

73 james
K3XI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »

Hi there, I had a strange the other day similar to this.
I was installing a RS232 TO USE Adapter. I installed the drivers..... shut down and restarted........still
did not work. I had to go into the run add new hardware it found the adapter, but still did not apply the driver.
I found by going back to RS232 to USB adapter device and have to click on (update driver) this worked, then
I found the default port was com 13...hi..hi
You may want to find the device and just try update driver. This is not the norm, it should be a plug and play but mine was not.
Good luck 73
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 05:41:04 AM »

The best old-school trick to manually install a driver is to right-click on the INI file and choose "install."  It will manually install the driver files necessary to run the device.

73 de AB3HJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: