Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is cooking on 30 meters ?  (Read 1871 times)
N7DM

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2010, 07:33:20 AM »

Thinking of throwing in the towel on 17/12.  They were my bread and butter on the last two Cycles, but, from this QTH [75 mi West fm Seattle], there isn't a This Cycle.

So I'm thinking of yanking down my Hi-Band bird traps and pulling up my good 30 meter wire. I haven't been on 30 in years, but worked it a lot when we first got it. Back then there was a Comm RTTY sig on 10.102 or so, rag chew gang on 10.120 {I think most of them QRT/SK}, Comm RTTY fm 10.125 up to the Packet Racket, with a small 'notch' around 10.135. 'Typical Ham' spectrum totaled around 17 Key-Cees, for the whole band. Is that still about the story on 30?  I don't stay up in the nights anymore, so EU is pretty much out of this QTH action.

Just trying to get some facts........hoping somebody is a 30 regular.

dm
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »

I do spend time on 30 mtrs cw on the weekends.  My speed is not that great so I tend to wait for slower ops.  There is a lot of dx available.  On the digital side there is a fare amount of activity.  PSK31 seems to me to be very popular but other modes can also be heard.  I am not active in the digital modes although I have tried them. 

My friends are active and successful on 17 mtrs chasing cw dx by working in the early evenings.  I think if you are persistent I believe you will do well both on 17 and 30 mtrs.

I stay mainly on 40 mtrs during the day and evenings.   It works well for me and there are dx stations available.  Perhaps an expansion of your antenna farm is in order.

During the last up cycle I was very happy working 17 mtr phone.  The openings were daily and I could have qso's with several hams from across the country at the same time.  It certainly doesn't seem to be close to that at this point in this cycle.  Keep trying and you will have fun, 73 Mike ke4ilg
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:20:30 AM »

Thanks for the update, OM....Yeah, I worked a little DX on 30. My 30 meter antenna is a two element, wire, inverted Vee, fixed, Yagi...hung from the High Line between my two 60 foot PVC masts....aimed at EU.  But, I tire pretty early these days. Besides, I got tired to trying to wangle a QSL out of Wes...ES1WM!  I suspect some of the 120 guys are still around, but for sure K7UM and NR0J are SK. I can't type well enough to work any digital junk; for that matter I can run my Bencher/K-3 faster and more accurate than I can type!  THIS posting took a while and the first thing to wear off my keyboard is 'Backspace'...HI HI.  Don't work Phone; 'accents' drive me NUTS.

I can force my present Quad Loop down to 30, may have to just jump in and TRY...

But I appreciate your efforts...

dm
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 06:28:35 PM »

I gotta admit I'm surprised to hear such little response for a CW Only band... on the CW Forum.

Oh, well, I'll try it.  Better to USE the Music Mode, than to just TALK about it... HI HI

QRT

dm
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »

I just signed off on 30m a few mins ago.

It's a great band.  I don't work much digital, so I'm mostly CW.  Tons of activity on 30 (almost a bit too much at times...hard to find a clear spot) and during gray line the world is your oyster.  Other times, there's a lot of activity, although I must admit I don't operate much during the daytime -- mostly in the late afternoon and evenings. 

Just now, the band was so packed I really couldn't find a place to call CQ, so I just answered other guys.
W7RIP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »

Well N7DM, I really am working through the same issues that you are; or at least I think I am. I use a Force 12 40XK vertical dipole and to change bands, I haul it down and either add/remove coils or adjust the length of the horizontal bars. This afternoon, I made such a change. I changed the antenna for 30 meters; I have been working 17 meters for the past few weeks. We'll see how it goes. I like 30 meters because I work CW 99% of the time and am running barefoot mostly with an Omni VI (Ten Tec). It is my go-to band for DX expeditions, since the pileups are not as bad when stations are not running a full gallon on you. Grin The other factor is that I work full time and my operating time is nights and weekends. Contesting does not find its way onto the WARC bands and this is a good thing for the type of operating that I prefer.

So jump on in and I will be looking for your signal OM.
73s Rip    Bozeman, Montana
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:57:10 AM »

You're probably too close for me on 17. Except for a guy or two in AZ I never hear Sevens on 17.  Antenna-wise it is a lot easier with a Quad Loop and tuned feeders. If it matches, it [sorta] radiates, even on 30.  Frankly I wish *I* worked full time again, OM....HI HI , but daytime.... 0800 to 1100 local are my 'dead spot' where I need the Hobby.

dm
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »

I have just started using 30m here in the uk.  i have been a 40m op only for a few years now but im enjoying 30. As someone else mentioned sometimes it can be very busy with clear spots hard to find.

A little frustrating for us not so fast ops (14wpm) 

i find between the 2 bands im always able to work someone. got a feeling 30 is going to be main band soon..

billy
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »

I don't know how much antenna room you have.

But if you can put up a dipole about 55 feet long, consider a 40/30 trap dipole.

The traps are easily made from RG-58 coax and PVC pipe (2 inch size is about right), resonated to 30 meters with a grid-dip meter. They act as loading coils for 40 so the antenna is shorter than a full-size half-wave by a few feet. Feed with 50 ohm coax, adjust it once and you can have low SWR on 40 and 30 CW.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: